Hey all,

I've been doing some searching and haven't found an answer/solution to the problem I'm facing.

I've got a Playbook set up for file sharing over wi-fi, have set the workgroup to the same as my PC (running Windows Vista 32-bit). I've got my Playbook showing up in the "Network" pane, as a device, but when trying to open it (or access \\Playbook) I'm given an error (basically it can't find it). However, when accessing the Playbook by IP (e.g. \\192.168.1.105) it works flawlessly.

I've got a Linksys/Cisco WRT54G2 router and haven't had problems accessing other shares on my network (like my WDTV or my laptop) from my PC.

Any thoughts on this? Shall I assume it's Windows' problem and not that of my PB? Tried with my friend's Playbook as well and had the same issue.
    10-11-11 08:58 PM
    An update broke the name resolution part a while back and it hasn't been rectified up until this point..

You can ping the host name from windows ie (playbook1) and then connect to the ip address listed there.
    10-11-11 09:07 PM
    ok i think i can help , this will work,

1) go into settings in your playbook ( top left corner while apps are minimised ( swipe
    up from bezel or while in browser swipe at a 45 degree angle from by the head phone jack into the screen ) and tap the nut/gear looking thing by the battery icon.

2) scroll down to storage and sharing(left side ,blackish part of screen.)

3) in storage and sharing, scroll down to wifi sharing and turn it on( you are to be in the gray part of the screen now), you will be prompted to add a password , you dont have to, it will be easier not to.

4) scroll back up and select networkndentification --> properties

5) set homegroup name to match that of your windows pc

to get homegroup name in windows 7 you simply open the start menu and type worhgroup and select change workgroup name and in that window select change.

6) in playbook settings navigate from storage and sharing to security, and scroll down to development mode . turn it on and enter password.

7) minimise all open apps and look to the top of the screen by the battery, bluetooth, settings and wifi icons you will see a new icon that looks like the outlike of a human body from head to chest, tap it.

8) at the bottom, you will see ip adress : 192.168.x.x

9) enter the ip adress you see in windows by doing the following

open start menu and type \\192.168.x.x ( in other words type the ip address you see in the playbook).press enter

10 ) a window will openup with two folders media and cert
    open the media folder.if you did enter a password in step 3 when you open the media folder you will be prompted to enter you username and passwoed.

11) enter your info correctly ( most likely you will make a mistake) and you will be tsken into you blackberry playbook from there on it is as simple as dragging and dropping your files....

if you want to enter the playbopk again it is as pimple as repeating steps 7 or 9 to 11.

written on bbpb

oh guys i want to start writing quality apps for playbook so if you have any ideas send them to me at don.nel@live.com i will reply.
    Last edited by youngnerd; 12-22-11 at 12:14 PM.
    12-22-11 12:11 PM
    ok i think i can help , this will work,

1) go into settings in your playbook ( top left corner while apps are minimised ( swipe
    up from bezel or while in browser swipe at a 45 degree angle from by the head phone jack into the screen ) and tap the nut/gear looking thing by the battery icon.

2) scroll down to storage and sharing(left side ,blackish part of screen.)

3) in storage and sharing, scroll down to wifi sharing and turn it on( you are to be in the gray part of the screen now), you will be prompted to add a password , you dont have to, it will be easier not to.

4) scroll back up and select networkndentification --> properties

5) set homegroup name to match that of your windows pc

to get homegroup name in windows 7 you simply open the start menu and type worhgroup and select change workgroup name and in that window select change.

6) in playbook settings navigate from storage and sharing to security, and scroll down to development mode . turn it on and enter password.

7) minimise all open apps and look to the top of the screen by the battery, bluetooth, settings and wifi icons you will see a new icon that looks like the outlike of a human body from head to chest, tap it.

8) at the bottom, you will see ip adress : 192.168.x.x

9) enter the ip adress you see in windows by doing the following

open start menu and type \\192.168.x.x ( in other words type the ip address you see in the playbook).press enter

10 ) a window will openup with two folders media and cert
    open the media folder.if you did enter a password in step 3 when you open the media folder you will be prompted to enter you username and passwoed.

11) enter your info correctly ( most likely you will make a mistake) and you will be tsken into you blackberry playbook from there on it is as simple as dragging and dropping your files....

if you want to enter the playbopk again it is as pimple as repeating steps 7 or 9 to 11.

written on bbpb

oh guys i want to start writing quality apps for playbook so if you have any ideas send them to me at don.nel@live.com i will reply.
    This is a joke, right?
    12-22-11 12:17 PM
    i think mapping a network drive to the ip address is a good work around for this problem...
    12-22-11 12:18 PM
    i think mapping a network drive to the ip address is a good work around for this problem...
    That's only good if your PB has fixed IP. You can do that with most routers even with DHCP.

I'm on the same boat as OP. Not sure why this occurs, but I just use IP address now.
    12-22-11 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD