I've found what is I think the best file-manager for the PB. It's written by Kevin Boone and can be found on his website:
    Kevin Boone's Web site
    Scroll to the bottom of the page for the link to the .bar file for side-loading.

For me it makes all other file-managers redundant.

Roger
    04-02-13 12:15 AM
    For me it makes all other file-managers redundant.

Roger
    Not even close. It doesn't hold a candle to Ghost Commander, or ES File Explorer, or X-Plore File Manager, or Files and Folders in so far as functionality or ease of use are concerned.
    04-02-13 08:30 AM
    FWIW,
    I have found Ghost Commander to be the best of the 3-4 different ones I have tried. I haven't given Files and Folder a go though, because I'm too tight to pay for it...
    04-02-13 08:34 AM
    Ghost Commander is my favorite also, but it can't access the cloud like the others I noted can.
    04-02-13 08:42 AM
    Ghost Commander is my favorite also, but it can't access the cloud like the others I noted can.
    Hmm, yes. At the moment, I have Dropbox sideloaded in addition to Ghost Commander, and sort of 'bodge' stuff between the two. It would be cool to have it all integrated, and I'm considering saving up for the 2 quid that I need to pay for FilesAndFolders as I've only really heard good things about it.
    04-02-13 11:08 AM
    Hmm, yes. At the moment, I have Dropbox sideloaded in addition to Ghost Commander, and sort of 'bodge' stuff between the two. It would be cool to have it all integrated, and I'm considering saving up for the 2 quid that I need to pay for FilesAndFolders as I've only really heard good things about it.
    Both ES File Explorer and X-Plore (and both are free) can access the cloud- Box, Dropbox, Skydrive, SugarSync, and Google Drive (though no G Drive for X-Plore). They also can access multiple accounts from the same cloud service, which I don't think F&F can do. All can stream media from the cloud, though ES is clearly the best for streaming audio.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    04-02-13 05:05 PM
    Both ES File Explorer and X-Plore (and both are free) can access the cloud- Box, Dropbox, Skydrive, SugarSync, and Google Drive (though no G Drive for X-Plore). They also can access multiple accounts from the same cloud service, which I don't think F&F can do. All can stream media from the cloud, though ES is clearly the best for streaming audio.
    Ok, Thanks for that. It's always good when someone else has done your research for you!!
    Think I will check-out ES File Explorer then. Streaming from the cloud sounds like a great idea. Won't need to clog up my PlayBook with quite so many media files! Do you know if/how well ES File Explorer copes with streaming video (not HD - I keep my 'travelling videos' as low quality as I can comfortably watch, to keep storage space and transfer times to a minimum.
    04-03-13 04:03 AM
    Do these file managers replace the default file manager when it is invoked. Need to upload .apk.
    04-03-13 04:10 AM
    Do these file managers replace the default file manager when it is invoked. Need to upload .apk.
    In my experience, no. They are run like any other App you may have installed. The default file manager is still there, and can be run if required.
    04-03-13 04:13 AM
    In my experience, no. They are run like any other App you may have installed. The default file manager is still there, and can be run if required.
    Which means i wont be able to upload stuff through the browser that is not recognized by the default file manager e.g. Autoexec.bat.
    04-03-13 11:54 AM
    I use Files&Folders for normally browsing through the filesystem, ES File Explorer for LAN SMB shares and cloud access, and Ghost Commander for moving lots of stuff. F&F is slow when dealing with multiple files and ES File Explorer crashes every time I try to do a cut & paste. Choice is good

I'm glad Kevin Boone wrote a Qt-based file manager, it's a good start towards developing for BB10. I might be interested in porting some apps over once BB10 for PB arrives...

The stock file manager is total rubbish though. Whoever thought that having a flat view of every single thing on your Playbook was a good idea?
    04-03-13 01:00 PM
    Do you know if/how well ES File Explorer copes with streaming video (not HD - I keep my 'travelling videos' as low quality as I can comfortably watch, to keep storage space and transfer times to a minimum.
    ES does OK with streaming from the cloud, but sometimes wants to download the video prior to streaming. This seems to be less of an issue using X-Plore. Others may have different experiences. ES is best for steaming audio since it allows you to queue multiple songs up in its player for playback- most other apps allow you to only play one at a time- no queuing.
    04-03-13 01:59 PM
    Which means i wont be able to upload stuff through the browser that is not recognized by the default file manager e.g. Autoexec.bat.
    You can upload stuff through one of the android internet browsers- Dolphin or Maxthon, both in app world. They will allow you to use one of the android file browsers for choosing files- Ghost Commander, ES or X-Plore, etc., all of which can see the PB's file structure and have access to all files on the PB.
    Vurhan likes this.
    04-03-13 02:03 PM
    Choice is good
    Agreed. Reach for the tool that is most appropriate for the job you want to do.
    04-03-13 02:11 PM
    You can upload stuff through one of the android internet browsers- Dolphin or Maxthon, both in app world. They will allow you to use one of the android file browsers for choosing files- Ghost Commander, ES or X-Plore, etc., all of which can see the PB's file structure and have access to all files on the PB.
    Nice workaround! Maxthon is pretty cool too. I dunno about you guys but I love to find this little workarounds for the playbook
    04-03-13 03:21 PM
    I like Ghost Commander for the simple reason I was able to remove years of old pictures files and movies that I had no idea still lurked on my PB.

The PB File Manager did not show this data existed.
    04-03-13 03:45 PM
    By accolade it seems Ghost Commander and Files and Folders are the most often used by PB owners. I have F&F, and still a newbie at it. Why don't we have a special thread for these two so that all post ideas can be concentrated there?

Suggestion for thread titles: 'Ghose Commander, the thread to end all threads," and "Files and Folders," the thread to end all threads. C'mon all you experts.

P.S. Sorry I jumped the gun. Looks like there is a F&F thread in this forum, so use that one.
    Last edited by 312Lorden; 04-04-13 at 11:37 AM.
    04-04-13 11:20 AM
    I have noticed that Ghost Commander can see folders in the sd card directory that no other android file manager can.
    09-12-13 02:24 PM
    I have noticed that Ghost Commander can see folders in the sd card directory that no other android file manager can.
    Such as?.....
    09-12-13 03:04 PM
    Such as?.....
    For example I sideloaded the android fora dictionary and only ghost can see the folder called .fora where the offline dics are stored, ES cant, even the default android file manager in my android phone cant, also ghost can see folders like .gameAd.
    09-12-13 03:12 PM
    For example I sideloaded the android fora dictionary and only ghost can see the folder called .fora where the offline dics are stored, ES cant, even the default android file manager in my android phone cant, also ghost can see folders like .gameAd.
    Check in the "Misc" folder, which mirrors the SD Card folder. They should show up there.
    09-12-13 03:36 PM
    Check in the "Misc" folder, which mirrors the SD Card folder. They should show up there.
    They dont show, just compare these screenshots:

09-12-13 04:03 PM
    The folders are hidden, that's why you're not seeing them. In ES, go into settings, then file settings, then check the box "Show hidden files". You should see them in the Misc folder then.
    09-12-13 04:13 PM