When I am not at school holidays, I work at BestBuy and now we have Playbook on sale at all BestBuy Canada locations. I work in the computer dept, so customers keeps asking me these things and may be you guys can help me out here....

When do you think Android apps will be released to Playbook?

Why should I buy a Playbook if it don't even have a native mail support like Androids and iPads?

When do you think the native mail support will be available to Playbook? (I wonder what i.d.i.o.t in RIM decided not to have a native mail support app because most older customers don't like to use web based email )

Why can't I use apps like Google Maps while on Bridge mode and is there way to connect my Blackberry to my Playbook to get network connection to use apps nit just Internet?

Thank you guys... I don't think I can sell Playbooks at this rate... even if we give away for free people will just hate it so much to the point they will end up selling them.

I kept saying to people there will be a good update in late January 2012.
    12-29-11 10:11 AM
    When do you think Android apps will be released to
    Playbook?

Hans: They are being sold now. They aren't that good. The consumer base just increased a lot with the sales so Developers are more attracted to building apps.

Why should I buy a Playbook if it don't even have a
    native mail support like Androids and iPads?

Hans: Because it will get it in February. Which isn't a good reason. But it does get free wifi tethering if you have a BlackBerry Smartphone.

When do you think the native mail support will be
    available to Playbook? (I wonder what i.d.i.o.t in RIM
    decided not to have a native mail support app because
    most older customers don't like to use web based email)

Hans: 2.0 release. (The reason the initial release didn't have it was because they couldn't get it to work nicely with the servers.

Why can't I use apps like Google Maps while on Bridge
    mode and is there way to connect my Blackberry to my
    Playbook to get network connection to use apps nit just
    Internet?

Hans: Since 1.0.7 apps worked via tether. Except the android player.

Thank you guys... I don't think I can sell Playbooks at
    this rate... even if we give away for free people will just
    hate it so much to the point they will end up selling
    them.
    I kept saying to people there will be a good update in
    late January 2012.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 12-29-11 at 10:26 AM.
    mssca likes this.
    12-29-11 10:22 AM
    besides the fact these questions have been beaten over us for a while.. cant really tell if this is troll material or not but heres your answer...

the blackberry playbook is a device that is a must buy for its potential... much like the 1st iphone..which didnt come with multimedia messaging.. like who comes out with a smart phone with out mms and cut and paste... (sound familar) no one complained.. in saying that native email was left off because they wanted to make sure that they still provided industry leading security and performance.. february is the targe date for os2 which will have email and android. the reason you buy the playbook is for portability and ease of use.. real multitasking and complete control and manageability of your files.. i can move files around, download files, upload files straight from the web.. create zip files send zip files open zip files, delete files etc. without the use of a computer.. i have wifi file sharing, i can use certain apps with bridge actually most work.. and i suggest you go pick up on and play with it and realize its capabilities for yourself. and these decide for yourself.. thats the best way to get the answers you seek as to why should you buy one
    mssca likes this.
    12-29-11 10:39 AM
    When do you think Android apps will be released to
    Playbook?

Thank you guys... I don't think I can sell Playbooks at
    this rate... even if we give away for free people will just
    hate it so much to the point they will end up selling
    them.
    I kept saying to people there will be a good update in
    late January 2012.
    actually my friend...... theres a pretty big user base that is extremely happy with their playbooks... read through the posts... most of the disgust comes with missed target dates... and huge build up to be let down... ive personally got 3 people to buy playbooks... and all are extremely happy.. and when i mention a os2 they kind of blow me off like ok great.. they arent all over the internet reading and anticipating... once people actually have one in their hands they are pretty much sold.. whether they buy one or not
    12-29-11 10:43 AM
    When do you think Android apps will be released to Playbook?
    "Expected Release of Android Player is in February"
    This is exactly what I say when people ask me about Apps, I say the selection is limited but growing every day, and that in February there is an expected update to bring Android Apps which should more than double the current offerings of Apps

But really I rarely get asked if it will "play" android apps in general more will it "play" netflix, will it "play" skype will it play angry birds

Why should I buy a Playbook if it don't even have a native mail support like Androids and iPads?
    Why you should buy the PlayBook:
    1: Form Factor / Portability, I suggest you practice putting a playbook in and out of your pocket, took me probably a week to get it down so I looked like it was completely natural when in meetings pulling it out and putting it back in,
    That is something one can't do with the iPad, and if the user is a very mobile person the form factor of the PlayBook is wonderful
    2: App Switching, The PlayBook switches between active apps the fastest, I can do 7 switches in the same time it takes an experienced iPad2 users to do 4 switches, (tested in person results may very, but on a slow day you're at best buy give it a try) so if the user is someone who will bounce back and forward between say an ebook and a webpage, or a web page and a document file, or a multitude of other combinations show them switching apps between devices.

Email is NOT the end all and Be all, of the Tablet, I have my PlayBook with me very regularly and have used it for email less than a dozen times since April, show the strengths don't focus on the weaknesses, but don't ignore them when asked,
    Just show webmail, as that is the current solution until February most likely

When do you think the native mail support will be available to Playbook? (I wonder what i.d.i.o.t in RIM decided not to have a native mail support app because most older customers don't like to use web based email )
    Native email support was shown in November to the Public in Toronto Ontario, and it looked good, it is also expected to be released in February with OS2.0 (as for your wondering there are a lot of technical back end things RIM needed to address, they should have addressed them first, but it wasn't so simple, and the current work around being implemented is no better than other tablets, which is a shame)

Why can't I use apps like Google Maps while on Bridge mode and is there way to connect my Blackberry to my Playbook to get network connection to use apps nit just Internet?
    Inform them Bridge functionality is ever increasing, and say that New BlackBerry's running OS 7.1 can be set up as a HotSpot to allow them to get more functionality out of their PlayBook over wifi,
    Explain the difference between tethering, and bridging.

Thank you guys... I don't think I can sell Playbooks at this rate... even if we give away for free people will just hate it so much to the point they will end up selling them..
    It's pretty sad statement of what you think your skill sets are if you can't sell a PlayBook at 200-400 dollars depending on size when other comparable tablets are near twice the price.
    Ask the customers questions about what they want in a tablet, if you ask platform independent questions first, you can narrow down the best options for them to choose from, a good sales person never gives the customer the opportunity to say NO.

Question to ask:

Where are you most likely to use your Tablet?
    Home, Vacation, School/Office, while commuting?

How many people will be using this tablet on a regular basis?

What Smartphone brand do you currently have?
    (This will help know if ecosystem sharing will be done between the devices)

There are lots of times when a PlayBook is the best option for a user, your job is to identify that, and to upsell them on the Biggest PlayBook you can with the most accessories you can
    mssca likes this.
    12-29-11 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the reply and this thread can be locked by admins now...
    12-29-11 09:06 PM
    I have a question. I just tried to find a $249 32gb model via the Best Buy website - all locations show as unavailable and unable to ship. When I chatted with a customer service rep to ask when some might be available, his reply was "that model has been discontinued and is no longer available". What gives?
    12-29-11 09:13 PM
    Native email support was shown in November to the Public in Toronto Ontario, and it looked good, it is also expected to be released in February with OS2.0 (as for your wondering there are a lot of technical back end things RIM needed to address, they should have addressed them first, but it wasn't so simple, and the current work around being implemented is no better than other tablets, which is a shame)
    Can you elaborate on this? Will it be push email?
    12-29-11 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD