My PlayBook WiFi 64GB arrived today.
    I'm suprised how easy the User Interface is.
    It's a great mixture of Android and iOS feeling, the system feel's like "I'm home"

Background Details:
    Playbook 64 GB WiFi
    OS Version 2.1.0.1526
    registered at BB Website

Here are my questions;
    1. I heard read about "rooting/jailbreaking".
    1.1 In which way does it make sense? Whats the advantage of rooting?
    1.2 Is it possible to do it wiht my OS Version without downgrading?
    1.2.1 Is it possible to downgrade from my version?
    1.2.1 If I upgrade to 2.1.0.1753, can I downgrade to lower versions too?
    1.3 After rooting/jailbreaking can I upgrade to the latest version of Blackberry OS without loosing the root privilegs?
    1.4. Are there some custom roms around the web?

2. About the blackberry PlayBook itself and it features.
    2.1. Android Player, yeyyy! Do I need root for it or just to install the google play store market?
    2.1.2. Some Apps are converted for BB 10 (e.g. from apps.goodereader.com), can I use them too?
    2.2. I read about two iOS Player that are in development. Are they available?
    2.3. I can't find the Blackberry Market on my Tablet. Where is it? Can it be found in a newer OS version?
    2.4. My Upgrade from my current version to 2.1.0.1753 is about 483 MB big, I read it is about 380 MB, is this difference normal?

I tried just to make "yes" or "no" questions to save your time so have more time for your beer
    Thanks in advance
    10-02-13 04:54 PM
    The Playbook can't be rooted. But you can sideload android apps. Yes you can downgrade the OS and upgrade if you wish. I agree is a nice interface and easy to use.

The BlackBerry Market is called BlackBerry World and should be there for all versions of the OS. It will look like the BlackBerry symbol with BlackBerry World under it.

The different sizes in the OS upgrades are normal.

I didn't answer with yes or no, but still had time for some beer. Cheers.
    sonos likes this.
    10-02-13 05:24 PM
    I think you will like your PB. It is a great web browsing/media playing device. We think the PB interface is in a league by itself. You will probably want to stick to official BBRY OS. Contrary to popular belief, e.g. no more support, we may get some OS2.X updates yet. You never know.

Just a clarification on sideloading. We don't have a Jelly Bean android runtime. So all android .apk files will not work well on the PB. You have to get the android .apk file and then convert it to a BBRY .bar installation file. You can't load Google Play Store on the PB. Not that easy. That Goodereader website has converted and "tested" the ones they list. I'd stick to those. The sideloading procedure is on their website and there is a separate sideloading forum here at CB. BB10 is derived from PB OS so slightly different. Some apps might be compatible. Welcome and keep asking questions. Everyone here is pretty helpful.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-02-13 06:18 PM
    Suggest finding Help which gives you many tips on using the Playbook features.

The Android emulator on the PB supports Gingerbread (2.3) not Android 4.x (which is ICS) and up and is supported in BB10. Blackberry World has Android ports that can be downloaded to the PB. These are not specifically identified. It is possible to get directly to Google Play but downloading a file might be impossible. GoodeReader is a source often mentioned. If you have a Windows computer you may be able to install Blue Stacks which will allow you access to Android apps and you may be able to copy the necessary file to the Playbook. Look elsewhere in the forums for sideloading.

There are a number of native Blackberry apps that are excellent.

If you want mainly Android apps suggest you get an Android tablet. I have a Nexus 7 (2012) which is nice but the Playbook still is most enjoyable.
    Sumando likes this.
    10-02-13 06:23 PM
    Everyone here is pretty helpful.
    That's what I noticed before I got an account here

Thanks for the answers, you really helped me out!
    I'm upgrading to the new OS Version right now.
    middbrew likes this.
    10-02-13 06:38 PM