I am a huge BlackBerry fanboy. However, I never saw the need for a Playbook until recently I love reading before going to bed, having done that on almost every BlackBerry I had, I've became accustomed to a small screen.

Recently, I've been using the Torch which is slightly better than the 9780, but of course the scrolling up/down/back/forth to read sentences is tiring.

So I am leaning into buying a Playbook. I want it for the sole purpose of reading (not e-mailing nor BBMing so Bridge is not a big asset for me).

1. If I want it for the sole purpose of reading, is it good enough? As in, are you able to open a CNN page for example and ready from it without having to zoom in and out all the time? Also, am I able to visit the mobile version of the website from it, or would the website consider the tablet as a PC and redirect me to www instead of m ?

2. I understand that native e-mail is currently not yet available, but assuming it will be, how will that function taking the Bridge into consideration?

3. If for reading purposes only, what is the expected battery life for it?

Thank you!
    07-13-11 06:03 PM
    Reading on it is great, I dont have a problem at all with webites. Most of them do realize that its not a cell phone, rarely do I have a problem with that. The browser itself is topnotch.

It has a nice book reader too, kobo books. Works much like any kindle or nook.

Seeing that you have a blackberry the native email shouldnt mean much to you IMO. The bridge is a seamless integration, I would rather see them expand on that functionality rather than trip about native email.

I love mine, and based on your stated concerns and needs I would highly recommend one to you as well.
    07-13-11 06:16 PM
    I am a huge BlackBerry fanboy. However, I never saw the need for a Playbook until recently I love reading before going to bed, having done that on almost every BlackBerry I had, I've became accustomed to a small screen.

Recently, I've been using the Torch which is slightly better than the 9780, but of course the scrolling up/down/back/forth to read sentences is tiring.

So I am leaning into buying a Playbook. I want it for the sole purpose of reading (not e-mailing nor BBMing so Bridge is not a big asset for me).

1. If I want it for the sole purpose of reading, is it good enough? As in, are you able to open a CNN page for example and ready from it without having to zoom in and out all the time? Also, am I able to visit the mobile version of the website from it, or would the website consider the tablet as a PC and redirect me to www instead of m ?

2. I understand that native e-mail is currently not yet available, but assuming it will be, how will that function taking the Bridge into consideration?

3. If for reading purposes only, what is the expected battery life for it?

Thank you!
    1. Yes its good enough, won't have an issue.

2. Not sure if I understand correctly but as of now when bridged, when you get an email you get an alert on the top left.

3. Just picked up an epub reader in appworld for reading at night. If you were doing just reading i'd say the battery would last days maybe even longer. I use my ereader at night which is when I charge my pb. In general I believe battery life is 8-10 hours with moderate use.
    07-13-11 06:18 PM
    Battery life really depends on the screen brightness. I keep the brightness around 30 percent and it lasts me a few days. (not continuous use obviously)
    07-13-11 06:19 PM
    I'll echo what a NN had to say and just add that the PB screen is the best there is. Battery life is between 8-12 hours depending on use.
    07-13-11 06:21 PM
    i visit cnn regularly and the pb is an excellent device for reading their content. displays text and contrast much better than the ipad.

besides the fact that much of their content is flash, the pb's size is great and won't be too heavy while reading.

reading cnn on the ipad despite the larger screen still required zooming in. so expect to do some of that with the pb. its largely due to the way their pages and text are set up. most articles are arranged in columns so you really can't avoid it.
    07-13-11 07:20 PM
    Reading sites like CNN and NY Times are great in landscape but not as good in portrait. I had my PB for 2 months and had to return it to Best But due to something they did to it so now I am tablet free. I've been looking at the Android devices but I have not been happy with the resolutions. I went to ESPN and played a video and the captions were very blurry. This happened on every device, all 5 I looked at. The new HP unit has a great display but because it doesn't have a rear camera and HDMI out I can't consider it. And since Steve Jobs has bug up somewhere over Flash the iPad is out. So I will getting a new PB tomorrow. I just have to decide it I want the 64GB again or save the $100 and get the 32GB.
    07-13-11 07:37 PM
    I concur with all the above comments. I'm an almost instant convert to Kobo, thanks to the pre-loaded Kobo app. My wife has been trying to decide between Kobo and Kindle...when the Kindle app finally appears, I plan to present her with her own Playbook, set up for both formats. Unless you do nothing but read and sleep, I doubt you could run out of juice for your PB...
    07-13-11 07:41 PM
    i have also become an eBook convert since getting the PB. I use it mostly for reading too and it is great. Buy one.
    07-13-11 07:52 PM
    Alright, thanks folks!

I will be getting one from BestBuy soon to try it out at least... I am sure I'll love it!

Again, thanks for the feedback.
    07-13-11 10:42 PM
    After you play with the one with best buy, return it, and get it from your local kijiji for less than $400. No tax.

So many people are selling Playbook on kijiji, you will easily find a good deal.
    Did you sell your BlackBerry PlayBook yet?
    07-14-11 05:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD