I've decided I'm getting the Playbook. Pretty much written in stone. The eBay vendor is sitting there and when I get home later today (or perhaps tomorrow...?) I'll be getting online and buying a 16 GB version. I'm sold. Flash support and amazing multi tasking with multi-day long battery? Sold.

Though I still have some questions... Hope you guys don't mind me making a whole thread about this. I HAVE googled these things, but the answers aren't sufficient to me. So here are my questions. I'll get the mindless BB10 dribble out of the way first:

- I'm in no rush to get BB10... It'd be nice and I'm looking forward to it, but I think I'll be happy with OS2 for the time being. However, with BB10, there's just some apps I really wanna know if will be supported with the PB. As expected: Will Skype be supported? (seriously.) Will we get a good Citrix app? Updated Flash support? Any say... Java? (here's a real hopeful) A good Facebook app? Those are my BB10 questions... I know it's apparently coming; but my MAIN expectations of BB10 are more apps! So... Are these apps/supports in the pipeline?

- What's the battery realistically like? I'll be using the playbook for it's browser a lot. I'm not one who likes to open 88 tabs and I like to close as many as possible. My brightness will probably not be max, but it will be pretty high. Can I expect atleast a full day charge out of the thing?

- Is 16GB enough for me? Will have a good amout of apps, a good amount of music, and probably no more than 2 movies at a lower resolution. Will I be okay?

That's all I got for now! Thanks for answering guys and I look forward to joining the community!

Edit: Oh yes, also, how is the screen? The only way I was able to demo a "7-inch" tablet was at the apple store with the iPad Mini (so yeah, it's 7.9) and that screen has IPS. I hear the PB has TFT. How much worse in quality does it fare? Also, is 7" big enough to comfortably watch things (even with subtitles) at arm's length? Thanks!
    Last edited by elemein; 04-04-13 at 11:20 AM.
    04-04-13 11:09 AM
    If your in the uk check out p c world or currys 64 gb was on sale for aprox.�129.00
    04-04-13 11:16 AM
    If your in the uk check out p c world or currys 64 gb was on sale for aprox.�129.00
    Alas, I'm in Canada.
    04-04-13 11:20 AM
    Citrix I use on PB fine, although you will need BT Keyboard and Mouse to work efficiently. Skype will probably not make it to PB.
    Battery life is good, will last a day easily but if you are watching videos or Video chatting heavily - maybe 3-4 hrs max. I would go 32 GB at least, depending on what you intend on using
    movies/music takes a lot of space as are games. Bard's tale is 1.6 GB. That is more than 1/10th of your 16 GB as OS etc takes up some already. you can get a 64 GB for about 205 on ebay.
    Blackberry Playbook 7 inch Tablet 64GB with Free Upgrade to BB 10 OS Brand New 431630747050 | eBay
    if you load Emulators like I do, PSX, PSP etc... each game is already big as well.
    So get a 64gb.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-04-13 11:27 AM
    I would purchase either 32GB or 64GB PlayBook and a rapid charger. Apps are disappointing but OK. Battery life and screen size is very good. The video is outstanding. Good luck and enjoy your PlayBook.
    04-04-13 11:57 AM
    Citrix I use on PB fine, although you will need BT Keyboard and Mouse to work efficiently. Really? When I google about the reception of the Citrix reciever app, a lot of folk complain about bugs... Were they worked out recently?

Skype will probably not make it to PB. Is the Skype BETA sideload verison getting work done to it at all?
    Battery life is good, will last a day easily but if you are watching videos or Video chatting heavily - maybe 3-4 hrs max. I probably will not be video chatting whatsoever if I don't have Skype. Also, I will be watching videos often... Though not HD or super high brightness (brightness and videos? Ack! My eyes! >.<), mainly just for watching some anime, but otherwise I can't imagine me doing much that'd stress it.

I would go 32 GB at least, depending on what you intend on using
    movies/music takes a lot of space as are games. Bard's tale is 1.6 GB. That is more than 1/10th of your 16 GB as OS etc takes up some already. you can get a 64 GB for about 205 on ebay.
    Blackberry Playbook 7 inch Tablet 64GB with Free Upgrade to BB 10 OS Brand New 431630747050 | eBay
    if you load Emulators like I do, PSX, PSP etc... each game is already big as well.
    So get a 64gb.
    Money is actually tight for me... I know I'm the one who asked the question; but I'm unfortunately not that open to spending more money on it. Not because I can't afford it, but because the money is actually on Paypal, and I can't add to that money since my bank account isnt linked to it, so I'm capped. Nonetheless, my entire music library is only 1.5 GB and my movies only take up about 1 GB. I will be using emulators. I hope I'll be okay :/
    Replied in bolds! Thanks for your help!
    04-04-13 11:58 AM
    You should be fine with the 16. I have one and have about 7 games (about 4 in the >100 mB range and 3 about 33 mB). Most other apps are 10mB or less. I don't have alot of music or picts but I do have one video ~2 gB that was downloaded from the Store. I still have about 5 gB left. No performance issues. You will love the speakers on this thing. Video resolution is nice (run the demo video when you get it). BBRY says they will continue to support flash in BB10 (I think they licensed it from Adobe 'cuz Adobe won't update it anymore). I get about 5 hrs constant internet surfing.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-04-13 12:24 PM
    You should be fine with the 16. I have one and have about 7 games (about 4 in the >100 mB range and 3 about 33 mB). Most other apps are 10mB or less. I don't have alot of music or picts but I do have one video ~2 gB that was downloaded from the Store. I still have about 5 gB left. No performance issues. You will love the speakers on this thing. Video resolution is nice (run the demo video when you get it). BBRY says they will continue to support flash in BB10 (I think they licensed it from Adobe 'cuz Adobe won't update it anymore). I get about 5 hrs constant internet surfing.
    Good to hear Ill be fine at 16GB for my purposes. I'm by no means an "app demon", so I wont be downloading thaat many apps. I just need my few main apps (FB, Skype, etc... Too bad those two mentioned are horribly implemented )

5 hours surfing sounds slightly worrying. But I'm probably just being paranoid. Say, for most of my mobile surfing, I plan to turn off Wi-Fi and use Bluetooth tethered to my iPhone 4. Will turning off wifi save battery?

Lots of praise for the video I see! Thats great! Cant wait!

Flash is still supported? Great! What flash version does the PB support up to? (and does it continuously update?)

Also, when I get the PB, how can I update the PB to the most up to date OS version?
    04-04-13 12:35 PM
    I said that I would get a 32GB or 64GB because there isn't that much of a price difference. But if you are lock-in with what you can pay, get the 16GB. You can sideload Skype but the video will not work.
    04-04-13 12:43 PM
    I said that I would get a 32GB or 64GB because there isn't that much of a price difference. But if you are lock-in with what you can pay, get the 16GB. You can sideload Skype but the video will not work.
    Is anyone working on getting a well-functioning Skype app sideloaded, or has the project been abandoned?
    04-04-13 12:46 PM
    The battery life is excellent, this is in comparison for the same level of use as android tabs. If you plan to tether using your iphone either using wifi or bluetooth will put extra use on the battery, but either are negligible to be honest. When i'm out & about for work I tether my android using foxfi as a hotspot. I found the BT more troublesome.

As for Citrix - works fine. My wife uses this for her work with her PB, good emulation, easy to use either with or without a bt keyboard / mouse - but it does help. She's never had an issue with lag either. FB is fine as an app - I don't know what the issue is, I find it perfect for general use (i'm not a big FB user). Flash - I don't know the version but I watch a lot of sport streams & apart from anything with silverlight (reason netflix doesn't work on the PB) I've never had any problem with any flash site - unlike my previous experiences with both ipad & android tabs.

How to update to the latest - hook up to your wifi & simply go to the menu & choose system updates - it will search the server & update to the latest version. I wouldn't recommend doing this through your iphone due to file size. Update will take around 10-15 minutes in total once downloaded.

Whilst many around here are desperate for BB10 it will come when it comes. Same thing happened when waiting for 2.1, etc. At the end of the PB is a solid performer, great for work, fun, travel, surfing, watching movies - only thing like others suggest is getting either a rapid charger, rapid dock, or both like I have. The dock is great for watching movies or listening to music. But you can also pickup a good case on ebay with convertible back for a stand for very little money. I got mine for approx �5 from ebay, same with screen protectors.

Hope this all helps. I have a 64gb so can't comment on the storage of a 16gb, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with this machine. Other owners - ipad, android, all have their views but i've been through those. I still am android in phone, but won't go back from PB on as my tablet!
    04-04-13 12:47 PM
    Is anyone working on getting a well-functioning Skype app sideloaded, or has the project been abandoned?
    For skype video - not as yet. Potentially with BB10. For other aspects of skype - such as IM you can use the imo.im website. Or try to get others into the PB & use the video chat app. I've used this whilst tethered from my mobile & worked brilliantly!
    04-04-13 12:48 PM
    When you set up the new PlayBook it will automatically update. If not you can go into setting to update and update from there if one is available.
    04-04-13 12:49 PM
    Better research if bt tethering works with an iwhatever. Faceflow works in the browser along with AOL.AV
    04-04-13 01:04 PM
    Wow this section is really quite active and friendly! Looking forward to the community for sure once I get it!

It seems updating is very very easy. Thats another good thing to hear.

The FB App is good? Some people say otherwise... Perhaps its a "your milege may vary" thing. I only really use fb for chat and to notify me of things and check my newsfeed. Otherwise I dont use much anything.

BT tethering is troublesome for me? Hope its good for me since wifi tethering hurts my iphone battery pretty bad. BT however doesnt drain it very much.

Citrix works well? Great! Citrix is mostly for my mom's uses as she will be using it sometimes.

The PB is perfect for me. The only nitpicks for me are the exclusion of Skype (I don't use it super often though, so hopefully the skype chat will suffice...), the screen res (Would've preferred 1280x720, but at 7", I doubt I'll be dissapointed with 600p), and that I cant use USB as expandable storage..

The first and last one though seem remediable by software though Maybe one day. Maybe.
    04-04-13 01:11 PM
    I have had my 16Gb PlayBook for a year now and have about 4Gb left so a 16 may be ok for you too as like me, you don't need to download many apps / media.

Btw the demo video and screen was the thing that blew me away the most. When home I choose to use it to browse the net with more than my other BB's.

You shouldn't be disappointed with the battery life either.
    04-04-13 01:15 PM
    As mentioned, you will be a little disappointed with apps. Gameloft and Rovio (Angry Birds) are big game names supporting PB. BBRY did say they will be courting the developers of the most used apps in the world. I thought there was a Skype app for BB10 but no Netflix. So wait for BB10 for full app potential. Don't think developers are working on any new OS 2.1 apps. Again, the browser is very capable so most ppl use the FB webpage (think you have to use Simple browser set to Firefox user agent, tho). You have to get out of the mindset that you need a app for everything. Don't know the tradeoff btw BT and Wifi radio in terms of power usage. Def turning off BT and Wifi when not needed saves battery. Flash appears to be updated with the OS and not as an app. I think it is 11. something. Once android goes to 5.0 or something where flash no longer works, BBRY will be only mobile with flash (I think Windows RT just got better flash support though via update). When you open the box, I would charge the device fully before turning it on. When you turn it on, you will go through set up (wifi) routine. Then it will update to current OS. No choice! After that, you can check manually or it will tell you as most devices do nowadays.

Yeah, we're hoping for USB OTG with BB10, too.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 04-04-13 at 01:33 PM.
    double_fault likes this.
    04-04-13 01:21 PM
    I got my 64gb model new from a well known electrical chain in Scotland and its really great to use .It had a update when I first got it but there seems to be mentions of another update maybe later this year Sound and screen quality is good but takes a few minutes to start up. Keyboard is fine Hope you have some good times using one.
    04-04-13 01:25 PM
    I really dont use many apps. I'm not worried at all about not having game apps; I rarely use them on my iPhone (only app game I use really is Plants vs Zombies... Thats only like once a week too, so no big deal.) as long as I have good flash support for games and some good emulators, I'll be more than satisfied for games.

Hopefully the FB app is good. You guys say it is, so it should be okay.

The only app I'm really dissatisfied with is Skype. Imo.im or whtever the "solution" is, is not a real solution... Thats the single app I'm unhappy about; otherwise, I'm satisfied as far as apps go. I also do not use Netflix.

Flash 11 support is good news. Flash 12 would be better, but 11 makes me very happy nonetheless.

The PB is sounding better an better the more I look into it
    04-04-13 01:57 PM
    Haha. We have P vs Z. 3 bucks, tho. I'd say the next flash update will come in BB10. It will come just be patient.
    04-04-13 02:08 PM
    A few questions about the playbook?-pbordered-.jpg

It's in the mail! Aha sorry, I'm actually getting more excited the more I think about it.
    dphjeff likes this.
    04-04-13 07:18 PM
    I really dont use many apps. I'm not worried at all about not having game apps; I rarely use them on my iPhone (only app game I use really is Plants vs Zombies... Thats only like once a week too, so no big deal.) as long as I have good flash support for games and some good emulators, I'll be more than satisfied for games.

Hopefully the FB app is good. You guys say it is, so it should be okay.

The only app I'm really dissatisfied with is Skype. Imo.im or whtever the "solution" is, is not a real solution... Thats the single app I'm unhappy about; otherwise, I'm satisfied as far as apps go. I also do not use Netflix.

Flash 11 support is good news. Flash 12 would be better, but 11 makes me very happy nonetheless.

The PB is sounding better an better the more I look into it
    Speaking of sound PB has better speakers. So I strongly recommend 64G if you have a library of music . Just forget about Z10 for now. Who knows when the upgrade is coming. If someone has another pb you can video chat with each other. It's better than imessage.
    04-04-13 07:46 PM
    Speaking of sound PB has better speakers. So I strongly recommend 64G if you have a library of music . Just forget about Z10 for now. Who knows when the upgrade is coming. If someone has another pb you can video chat with each other. It's better than imessage.
    I already ordered a 16 GB. I'll figure out a way to make it work

The speakers are great? Awesome! I'll probably be using my headphones a lot, but there'll be those times for sure when I'm watching things with my girl and need the speakers. That's certainly good news

I dont know anyone else with a PB unfortunately

Also, I never mentioned anyhting about the Z10, but if you mean to refer to BB10, then yeah; I said it before, I'm in no rush. I'll just optimize the crap out of it and sideload and normally load all the apps I'll need the first few days I get it and I should be very happy
    04-04-13 08:21 PM
    It's here! A few questions about the playbook?-img_0565.jpg

Not sure what to do with it now that it's here... So much to do... Gotta sideload Skype BETA, sideload some emulators, get my videos and stuff on here... Wow...
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    04-08-13 06:53 PM
    Congratulations on your purchase. Its a great little device and you will enjoy it.
    04-08-13 09:55 PM
77 123 ...