My first issue would be the fact that sometimes, when I'm in an app or on the browser, it randomly just shuts down and dissapears. Does this happen for anyone else?

Also, battery life. First few days it seemed all well and good. Now, it seems to be draining much quicker. Just today, I had about 35/40% and turned Wi-Fi off and put it on Standby with Adobe still running. I came to it about 5 hours later and it was dead. Is this normal? And how long do your batteries last on average?

Thanks
    01-03-12 04:40 PM
    Issue 1) Instability, bummer. What OS version are you running? also see below.

Issue 2) I fond the battery life very bad at first, I then did a software update and it didn't improve. I was advised to do a full backup, power down, plug into computer with desktop manager running. You will see a pop up saying it can't communicate with the playbook would you like to fix/repair. Click yes. After this I was amazed. Playbook was way more stable then it was out of the box and my battery life is great.
    spike12, Jmorto89 and anindoc like this.
    01-03-12 05:48 PM
    No idea what OS version I'm running. Not got into all that stuff yet, still getting to grips with it. I guess I just have the standard OS seen as I haven't done anything with it out the box. Do I need to upgrade it or something?

I will give that a go tomorrow if the same things happens tonight. Thanks.
    01-03-12 05:55 PM
    No idea what OS version I'm running. Not got into all that stuff yet, still getting to grips with it. I guess I just have the standard OS seen as I haven't done anything with it out the box. Do I need to upgrade it or something?

I will give that a go tomorrow if the same things happens tonight. Thanks.
    Click on the wheel icon on the topright hand corner of the PB home screen. You will find a menu to the left, go to ABOUT, then on the right side window drop down to OS from the menu... you find your version there.

If your PB is not running your latest OS, then you will find an icon in the top panel on the right side, if you hover your finger on it it should tell you to upgrade, or you can also just simply click on the Software Update from clicking the wheel thing I mentioned above, going to the left hand menu and clicking the software update icon.

The current OS is 1.0.8.6067
    Jmorto89 and backscratcha like this.
    01-03-12 06:02 PM
    Just checked, I have 1.0.8.6067, so the latest one.
    01-03-12 06:23 PM
    Some of us have had the Browser crash - it is open and loading or you are reading a page and _boom_ it is gone. Happens after using some Flash heavy sites or having too many tabs generally is what people think.

Did you leave any game running? Only Adobe?

I'd charge and keep using it to check.
    01-03-12 07:25 PM
    It does it randomly, sometimes I'll be loading a site and it goes, sometimes I'll just be scrolling and it will go. Same happens with Facebook. I very rarely have games running in the background.

Also, I'm having screen brightness issues. I have screen brightness on the lowest setting for both plugged and unplugged. Auto dimming is also on. I sometimes notice the screen is quite bright for the settings I have and what I'm used to. I continue using my Playbook after I've tried, and failed, to change the brightness back to what I want and then, after what seems like a random amount of time, the screen will dim a lot and its all good. Why is this? It also seems to affect my battery life too.
    01-07-12 01:32 AM
    Op, I feel that once you hook your PB up to the BB DeskTop Software a lot of your issues will be resolved.

Welcome to the forums and check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks with the Playbook, by clicking the link below my signature.
    01-07-12 01:46 AM
    These issues will go away once I've hooked it upto to the BB Desktop Software? How so? I've hooked it up now, but I don't see how that will help
    01-07-12 03:52 AM
    I think the Desktop Manager hookup is meant - after a full update of the OS????
    01-07-12 11:17 AM
    I have the latest OS though, is that not enough?

Really beginning to get annoyed with the playbook now. The brightness thing is really grating on me. It really messes up my battery life. It just decides when it wants to dim and use the settings I want and when it wants to be really bright and its mostly always bright.

And the browser is pathetic. Most times, the loading bar just stops in the middle and I have to click the url and press enter again to get it to fully load.
    01-08-12 09:17 AM

Really beginning to get annoyed with the playbook now. The brightness thing is really grating on me. It really messes up my battery life. It just decides when it wants to dim and use the settings I want and when it wants to be really bright and its mostly always bright.

And the browser is pathetic. Most times, the loading bar just stops in the middle and I have to click the url and press enter again to get it to fully load.
    I reckon what a couple of the folks above are hinting at is that sometimes (rarely, I believe) the OS you have on your Playbook isn't quite right. You can't put your finger on exactly why it's not right, but re-loading the (same) OS via a USB connection to the PC-based Data Manager can sometimes restore an ailing Playbook to perfect health. (Do a backup first if you want to keep anything!)

Look at this link: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...64/index9.html and try the debrick procedure. Hopefully it will do the trick.

As to your other point: The browser can be a bit stop/go over Bridge, and even over WiFi, if a graphics/flash-heavy webpage is loading. I've also seen halts where adverts are being served. You can disable flash in the browser settings, clear the cache, or even use an alternative simple browser (can't recall the name now) and see if that improves matters for you.

As to the battery life: I think you need some facts. Download the App Battery Guru and gather some data. Peter (the author and battery-guy , will be able to help you determine if you actually have a fault with the battery.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-08-12 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Shameless plug for Battery Guru. :)
    Jmorto89 likes this.
    01-08-12 09:34 AM
    I really shouldn't be having to back everything up etc just a week after opening the thing. Its very annoying.

I don't have a BB so dont use the bridge, just wi-fi and its very stop and go. Will try your suggestings though thanks.

Yeah was thinking about buying the app, but again, a week old product, should I really be having to pay 2 just to check my battery? I really shouldn't.

No idea why this thread got one star
    01-08-12 10:07 AM
    This happens without fail if you have too many apps open - the magic number seems to be 4 or 5. You did not mention how many apps you had open when this happens - unlike some other devices the number of active apps is managed by the user (which I prefer) - if too many memory resources are used - it will simply close one of the apps for you (you had your chance to choose which one ).
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 10:18 AM.
    01-08-12 10:12 AM

Turn off auto backlight dimming in the settings. It annoys me too. swipe down from upper left corner if you are not at the home page. touch the "gear" icon. Touch "Screen on the left menu. Turn "Automatic Backlight Dimming" Off.
    I set it manually by pressing the battery icon.

There is also a refresh button - the circlular arrow next to the URL bar that will save you from touching the URL and "enter" as you have been doing -

Don't make judgements until you learn how to use things. We are here to help. As in all things, patience is key.

a lot of sites, such as Crackberry especially, have trouble digesting flash and or JavaScript content - if it really bugs you - you can disable these by swiping down from the top of the browser - touching the gear icon "Options" and selecting "content" from the menu - here you can disable Javascript and flash - browsing will be much speedier, but you will not see a lot of things.

You may also want to try another browser such as "SimpleBrowser" (free) or SimpleBrowser Plus - which is far better than the stock browser in many ways - especially with Tabs and bookmarks.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 10:29 AM.
    Jmorto89 likes this.
    01-08-12 10:20 AM
    Perhaps you should phone Blackberry help and properly diagnose the source of your problem. It's free.
    01-08-12 10:24 AM
    Browser crashing = too many apps open at the same time
    OS2 browser is better

Once in a while clear the browser cache.

Sometimes you simply have to restart the playbook Ex. browser seems to hang too long while loading a site, GPS doesn't work

With heavy use I get about 6 hours of battery life. I have the rapid charger.

Your brightness issue is what

Otherwise, I find the playbook to be a great device
    Jmorto89 likes this.
    01-08-12 10:27 AM
    It does it randomly, sometimes I'll be loading a site and it goes, sometimes I'll just be scrolling and it will go. Same happens with Facebook. I very rarely have games running in the background.

Also, I'm having screen brightness issues. I have screen brightness on the lowest setting for both plugged and unplugged. Auto dimming is also on. I sometimes notice the screen is quite bright for the settings I have and what I'm used to. I continue using my Playbook after I've tried, and failed, to change the brightness back to what I want and then, after what seems like a random amount of time, the screen will dim a lot and its all good. Why is this? It also seems to affect my battery life too.
    As mentioned before - if you don't want the brightness to change on you - you have to turn auto dimming off.

Welcome to Crackberry - with a little patience, knowledge, and help - you will love this device. Trust me.
    01-08-12 10:31 AM
    I find I don't have any issues accessing crackberry.com with flash turned on
    01-08-12 10:32 AM
    Perhaps you should phone Blackberry help and properly diagnose the source of your problem. It's free.
    Only as a last resort - most problems can be resolved here with the helpful people of Crackberry
    01-08-12 10:33 AM
    Telling me not to make a judgement on my own product Hilarious.

I have literally never had more than 4 apps running at one time.

I don't really understand the automatic backlight dimming option. It just dims the screen when you turn it to on and vice versa. I have had it set to on because I can deal with the lowest setting when it comes to brightness hoping it would save me battery life. Have turned it off now though, I'll see what happens.

Not saying its not a great device, but when I'm pulling out my year old San Francisco phone and searching for things on the browser using 3g and its smoother and quicker than the Playbook which is using wifi, then its a bit annoying.

Appreciate the help from everyone.
    01-08-12 10:33 AM

I don't really understand the automatic backlight dimming option. It just dims the screen when you turn it to on and vice versa. I have had it set to on because I can deal with the lowest setting when it comes to brightness hoping it would save me battery life. Have turned it off now though, I'll see what happens.

Not saying its not a great device, but when I'm pulling out my year old San Francisco phone and searching for things on the browser using 3g and its smoother and quicker than the Playbook which is using wifi, then its a bit annoying.

Not telling - asking. Judgements should be made after problems cannot be resolved.
    The auto backlight reacts to room ambient light from the sensor on the front - I find it much better to just adjust it myself because the auto changes are annoying. just my preference. Battery life can be saved more by just keeping it set low manually.

Also set the timeout to 90 seconds which will also save battery life.

Playbook wifi has always been FAR faster than my 3G phone - in fact even when bridged using my PB 3G it is faster than my phone - so you may have an issue with the settings on your router - some research in here should help you optimize it.

good luck!
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-08-12 10:53 AM

Using wi-fi I regularly hit dl speeds of 15-20 mb's. Up averages 1.2 mb's.
    01-08-12 11:22 AM
    I believe the browser closing issue is not directly related to having too many apps open.

My browser closes/disappears when I only have the browser open with a max of 3 tabs open, sometimes even 1, and flash deactivated. I believe this more directly related to memory leak as this usually happens a few hours in of using the PB.

This better be fixed in OS2 because it's freaking annoying and disappointing.
    01-08-12 02:08 PM

Can your auto dimming problems be a hardware (sensor) problem?

In any case, if nothing suggested works, I would perform a full OS reload (debricking) or even do a secure wipe and install the beta OS 2.0 to just rule out any hardware-related issues.
    01-08-12 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD