I've been betting on that day long before they said it... CB Bla1ze believes we'll see something by the 17th though.
    In agreement. I believe Chris when he insists it's the 17th.

Just in time. My PB arrived that very day!

Maybe it will be shipped with OS2 :-o
    02-14-12 12:34 PM
    I've been betting on that day long before they said it... CB Bla1ze believes we'll see something by the 17th though.
    My friend who works at RIM also confirmed February 17th. Below is a snippet from an email I received from him with information about what to expect in the release, after I told him I was a Playbook owner:

"You will like the 2.0 improvements for your PlayBook, the upgrade should be available Feb 17."

When I asked him if there would be any previously unannounced features that would be included, such as DLNA support, he responded with:

"We have an OS upgrade 7.1 coming soon to the recent BBs, the Bold 9900, if that�s what you�re using. It will allow your BB to act as a Media Server, which I am expecting uses DLNA, as it allows your BB to serve media to a PlayStation, xBox, etc, as long as they are on the same network. I�m not sure if this will be part of PB 2.0, but certainly makes a lot of sense. I have about 7500 songs on my 64G PlayBook, and would be great to have it play thru other devices.

A key part of 2.0 also include the back end infrastructure, Mobile Fusion, for managing the PBs, Android and iPhones, enterprise email, app mgmt, discovery and deployment.

The OS update will include eMail/PIM, that unifies your corp/personal email, facebook, twitter, linked in in a unified inbox, contact, calendar apps. Additional apps are still coming, such as Print2Go, and enhancements to video/music store. BB Balance, to manage personal and corp data in their own secure perimeters.

An upgrade to Bridge, that will allow you to use your BB as a remote control for the PB. So you can connect your PB to a remote TV, and use your BB to type, cursor movement, next/previous in slideshow for giving presentations � I think people will really like this."

So these are verbatim words from a RIM employee, probably just quoting what he has been told internally to expect. Only time will tell if they actually hit that date, and it ships with everything expected. He did confirm that we will see a Bridge update, so as soon as that drops, we should see the OS 2.0 release a day or two later.

02-14-12 12:35 PM
    Why would a Bridge update come before OS 2.0?
    Always does. This particular bridge update that will come before OS 2.0 will include the ability to control your PB by using your BB as a remote control.
    02-14-12 12:38 PM
    Thisis in line with my expectations. I think we'll see the bridge update on the 17th. Then, the os update will drop on the 21st.
    newcollector likes this.
    02-14-12 12:42 PM
    No company in their right mind will release a major update on a Friday. There is no way to provide post-deployment support that way for anyone since the next day is weekend. 21st is more realistic since Tuesday seems to be the favored day for releases due to ability to provide immediate (and awake/no longer hung-over) support.
    02-14-12 02:32 PM
    Doesn't RIM give developers a GM release to do final testing of their apps before the public release?

Apple and Microsoft do this, and you effectively get this with Android. I would expect the same courtesy from RIM, no?
    02-14-12 02:40 PM
    I believed 60 days...
    I believed Summer...
    I believe February...
    I have had enough! Release the fricken thing!
    FF22 and CDM76 like this.
    02-14-12 02:40 PM
    Doesn't RIM give developers a GM release to do final testing of their apps before the public release?
    No, they don't. They've given us the developer beta which, for most purposes developers should care about, is equivalent to what the final release is expected to be.

There's no reason for us to test on a system with the PIM, or video store, or Print To Go, or any such things. Apps are so isolated from each other there'd be no advantage.
    02-14-12 02:42 PM
    Hastn't there been enough of these threads?

Isn't the answer still the same:

1. we'll get it when we get it
    2. no one knows for sure
    3. it's all specualtion at this point

I guess I'm missing the fascination of dissecting this thing to death. Especially when there's no "right" answer till it's released.

After all, how many of us will be searching through the hundreds of like-type threads to find out who guessed correctly? I'd have to say none.

Because those who aren't posting findings and fixes in the findings and fixes threads (and there will be hundreds of those, too, I'm guessing), will be posting rants about how they didn't get their expectataions met.

Either way, no one will care about these threads.

Or is the point that we have nothing better to do/talk about?

Sign me, missing the point of these threads...
    rotorwrench and CDM76 like this.
    02-14-12 03:07 PM
    No, they don't. They've given us the developer beta which, for most purposes developers should care about, is equivalent to what the final release is expected to be.
    So every shared library and the OS itself are unchanged since that beta? Wasn't that a while back?

With the Apple GM seeds, I don't think we've ever had a problem that we didn't already detect on earlier builds, but it is nice to have that final check. The support firm we use also installs the GM on devices so that the morning it drops, and users call them or us with issues, we're all ready to go, having tested all upgrade scenarios with the actual build the user has.

I understand this 2.0 thing is a bit hectic, but I hope RIM settles into a normal DP/Beta/GM schedule with third-party developers going forward. Like I said, this works pretty smoothly with Apple and Microsoft. I can't imagine why RIM would want to do this differently, and for most of us it's part of our structured development process with our own clients.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-14-12 at 03:17 PM.
    02-14-12 03:14 PM
    No company in their right mind will release a major update on a Friday. There is no way to provide post-deployment support that way for anyone since the next day is weekend. 21st is more realistic since Tuesday seems to be the favored day for releases due to ability to provide immediate (and awake/no longer hung-over) support.
    I disagree - that's a North American centric style of thinking. What constitutes a the weekend is different depending where you live, and given that RIM is a global company supporting users world-wide, when it Sunday in the USA and Canada, its already Monday in Australia and Japan... bottom-line there is no perfect or ideal time or day of the week to roll out new software when your clients live in every timezone around the globe.

Some would even argue that it makes sense to release the software at a time period when traffic will be light in key large markets (like Friday night in North America), so as to not overwhelm servers with an initial surge of interest.
    02-14-12 03:16 PM
    After all, how many of us will be searching through the hundreds of like-type threads to find out who guessed correctly? I'd have to say none.
    Kevin is keeping track. Those who guessed incorrectly will have to watch the unedited version of his workout video with their eyelids taped open a la Clockwork Orange.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-14-12 03:23 PM
    Kevin is keeping track. Those who guessed incorrectly will have to watch the unedited version of his workout video with their eyelids taped open a la Clockwork Orange.
    Ah, yes. I forgot about that.

Well then, carry on folks, with the unlimited threads and guessing.
    Main prize noted above^^^
    02-14-12 05:23 PM
    blah blah blah,this date that date,It will happen when it happens.As much as i enjoy my playbook. i can wait and really do not know why i am even sending this because of more Speculation!Take a deep breath folks and relax.
    02-14-12 05:34 PM
    It will get here when it gets here. :P
    Some of you may recall that Bla1ze said the DM update would arrive February 14th... and guess what, it did! He also says the 17th for OS 2.0. But you guys believe what you want. It won't change when it arrives.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-14-12 06:42 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD