So a few days ago I went to charge my playbook, and it wouldn't. Needless to say I cried myself to sleep! Actually I think I got more annoyed and angry than sad . Two days later and the Playbook is completely dead, after trying absolutly everything to try and get it to work I have given up. I emailed RIM with a typical response so don't think that they will do anything for me.

So I have to say farewell for now as I don't have the money to buy another playbook. It's really too bad because I finally thought Wow I have actually found the tablet that I will stick with!.... I guess I will see you when BB10 is released and the next playbook tablet release! I really enjoy the crackberry community and will still check this site everyday just to see what is going on. For all you who have playbooks I hope yours never dies as you will hate the feeling and you can keep using them as long as you want to and still enjoy them!
    baldanders likes this.
    04-26-12 12:45 AM
    I am truly sorry to hear this. Don't give up yet! What were you charging with, the usb, rapid charger or dock. Let's figure this out.
    You need to try and charge with a different port. If you were using usb, try the rapid charger and visa versa. If you don't have a rapid charger, you can borrow mine. BTW, I'd edit the thread title a little, as upon first seeing it I thought it was another troll or PB bash thread, but checked it anyway
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-26-12 at 01:39 AM.
    04-26-12 12:57 AM
    You can't afford 199 dollars?!
    04-26-12 02:58 AM
    im scared that my playbook might die one day too. We can't take it to physical store to get it fix and who wants to Mail/send back the playbook with all the personal informations like email, notes to RIM for warranty work? i hope that day will never come to me.
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 03:01 AM
    @snh .... this might sound dumb .... but does your PB show up as a drive when you attach it to your pc?

From my Computer can you see the files on the PB?

Also, I'm wondering if you plug in the PB and then open Desktop Mgr whether it will give you option to load your software.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 04-26-12 at 04:24 AM.
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 03:14 AM
    Uh yeah, not everyone has a spare $199 just lying around in case you didn't know
    04-26-12 03:43 AM
    OP, I wish I had a suggestion for you.

I bet some of the PB veterans might be able to help. Don't give up yet.
    Willard814 and shn'g like this.
    04-26-12 03:45 AM
    Sorry to hear that had mine stolen didn't have it for a couple of months till I could buy another one so I know the feeling! But your case isn't so hopeless you can try borrowing the rapid charger as suggested or check YouTube for how to open it up and look for fixes, it's probably a dead battery, good luck!
    04-26-12 03:59 AM
    A typical mistake is trying to charge it using a USB port on your computer or using a Blackberry phone charger.

The playbook needs a special charger or it will actually drain instead of charge.

A regular blackberry phone charger has an output of 5Volts // 700mA.
    A blackberry playbook charger has a higher output of 5Volts // 1.8A (1800mA).
    A usb port typically only pushes out 500mA
    04-26-12 04:01 AM
    I was wondering what would happen when the battery dies out? can we replace it? I mean the playbook is a solid little thing you can't open it?
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 04:51 AM
    Well if the 4G comes out get that one it should soften your feelings of loss.
    robtanz and shn'g like this.
    04-26-12 04:53 AM
    Mine went dead 5days after purchase.was blinking red and won't come on.sent it back to the retailer and they told me they don't have the tools to fix it and would have to send it to the supplier which I think is rim.I am in nigeria and don't know how long I would have to wait to even get a feedback from them,though they asked me to wait for a minimum of 21 working days.I know how you feel bro.
    04-26-12 05:10 AM
    Well if the 4G comes out get that one it should soften your feelings of loss.
    If he can't afford the wifi model he won't be able to afford the 4G model...
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 05:24 AM
    OP, I am wondering why you haven't tried the RMA process offered by RIM.

I have had 2 PlayBooks replaced for me. One just died two weeks ago due to a failed USB port. I called RIM and they sent me a new one in place of the bad one (though refurbished).
    04-26-12 05:29 AM
    OP, I am wondering why you haven't tried the RMA process offered by RIM.

I have had 2 PlayBooks replaced for me. One just died two weeks ago due to a failed USB port. I called RIM and they sent me a new one in place of the bad one (though refurbished).
    I was thinking the same thing. Pickup the phone and call them. If it is still under warranty they will take care of you. I had an issue with mine and they hooked me up.
    ralfyguy, OriginalLucy and shn'g like this.
    04-26-12 05:43 AM
    OP i know you most probably have tried this but just have a look to make sure:
    If this was the first time ever your pb got drained there is the possibility that you are not charging it right, since it can be a piece of work....
    The first question is if it got drained Nd shut down automatically or if it just "died" on you with out notice. Also, if it is no battery there or maybe a screen problem?

For drained battery try the following:
    Using the rapid mini usb charger plug it in for about 15mins. (you should have the green light blinking but even if not it does not mean hope is gone.

After the 15 mins and leaving the PB connected to the charger, press and maintain the button for about 20 secs, upon releasing the button, check for the red light. (even if the light is not there yet) dont despear. If it is start putting on a big smile.

Right after releasing press again the button for about 10_15 secs and let your pb rest on the charger. You should either have enough battery charge for it to start resume following the second press of the button or the green light should be blinking which means it is charging. Give it an hour or so and go back to press down the button extensively for a few seconds and this should power it up.

The above is not oficial doc advise and the tikes are there to make sure you perfome the charge and initiation/ boot. Try them out.

Also it would be helpful to describe "how your pb died" as people in here (with tech savvie) could give a diagnostic and possible solution that might help you and would be better than my hope made recipie....

Hope that helps, let us know.
    Best of regards and keep the spirits up!
    Ps: your pb should be in guaranty period so, if everything else fails go get em with that!
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 06:42 AM
    hey guys appreciate all the support!.. Yeah it sounds stupid that i don't have $200 but we just put our money towards a bathroom renovation that needed doing so wont have extra cash for a bit.

I will try some suggestions on returning to RIM, I just hope it is ok because I did buy the unit refurbished from Future shop.

I have tried almost every which way in getting it to work but will try suggested way again. What happens is I get a red light that stays on for 5 seconds when I first plug it in. I have tried hooking it to a computer and reinstalling the software through bb desktop but part way through the installation I get an error. I don't want to give up cause I want it working again, but I only have a few more things I can try, which I will.

Thanks again! This is why crackberry is so great because of the community!
    anon(3641385) and Willard814 like this.
    04-26-12 06:55 AM
    Isn't it under warranty?
    shn'g likes this.
    04-26-12 06:57 AM
    Don't give up on the PlayBook yet....there is a way to "re-charge" the PlayBook. A CrackBerry member ...9of13 has a thread on this procedure which comes directly from RIM. You can use search in the upper right hand corner. It states something like this.....using the charger that came with the PlayBook, plug the PlayBook in for two minutes and unplug repeat for ten minutes and the PlayBook should "boot" up....charge as normal....have patience and remember every two minutes unplug and plug for 10 minutes. Hope this works, it has for other members.
    04-26-12 07:10 AM
    How about the "stack charge"?
    Plug in for two minutes and unplug for 30 seconds. Repeat up to 10 times. If you get the red light followed by green pulsing then just leave it to charge until solid green.

The OS needs to boot up part way to allow the charging to continue. I think you see the red light and it begins to boot but then runs out of power. By plugging and unplugging your giving the battery a little more charge each time until it can run long enough to boot up. That is my understanding anyway.
    04-26-12 07:12 AM
    Mine went dead 5days after purchase.was blinking red and won't come on.sent it back to the retailer and they told me they don't have the tools to fix it and would have to send it to the supplier which I think is rim.I am in nigeria and don't know how long I would have to wait to even get a feedback from them,though they asked me to wait for a minimum of 21 working days.I know how you feel bro.
    Dan in you're case all you needed to do is connect your playbook to a PC and use desktop manager to reload the OS. I faced the same issue.

OP:
    PlayBook going dead, I know how it feels
    It happened to you today, same might happen to us tomorrow.
    04-26-12 07:49 AM
    Doesnt it have a 1 year warranty? or did you buy it the day it came out?
    04-26-12 07:57 AM
    You've tried a hard reset? My PlayBook did this once and a hard reset worked.
    04-26-12 08:09 AM

Since you can, take em out of his misery and send him a replacement. $199 doesn't hurt the 1%' ers
    04-26-12 08:31 AM
    He says it was a refurbished unit. Warranty?
    04-26-12 08:46 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD