If you read wihtin the description... it reads "Plus run many of your favorite apps for BlackBerry smartphones and Android. All available in BlackBerry App World�."

We can't officially download Android apps from App World.

Attachment 96155
    10-27-11 07:18 PM
    It will be true eventually? I wouldn't get too nitpicky with RIM's fine print.
    10-27-11 07:20 PM
    It's unfortunate cause it's advertising as we can head over to App World and download Android apps. They just recently pushed official 2.0 release to February. I hate being so disappointed by the company that I fight for between all my friends and family as they're all pro iPhone. Just unfortunate.
    10-27-11 07:24 PM
    What are you talking about nitpicky? It's either true or false. Very simple. It's false.

Now I will agree it isn't a big deal because very few people have interest in the Playbook who don't already have one so nearly nobody will be impacted.
    FF22 and angel_esq like this.
    10-27-11 07:30 PM
    It's unfortunate cause it's advertising as we can head over to App World and download Android apps. They just recently pushed official 2.0 release to February. I hate being so disappointed by the company that I fight for between all my friends and family as they're all pro iPhone. Just unfortunate.
    Am I reading your sig correctly...you have Telcel coverage in L.A.? How does that work or am I missing something.
    eanjr1964 likes this.
    10-27-11 07:37 PM
    Am I reading your sig correctly...you have Telcel coverage in L.A.? How does that work or am I missing something.
    Im a student out in Guadalajara, so it's only for use in Mexico. BUT, when I go home for visits to LA I just pay a lil extra to get their international plan so I can keep my bbm contacts from having to have two PINs on file. Telcel works with AT&T. I only activate my storm 2 with verizon when I go home, to LA.
    10-27-11 07:45 PM
    Im a student out in Guadalajara, so it's only for use in Mexico. BUT, when I go home for visits to LA I just pay a lil extra to get their international plan so I can keep my bbm contacts from having to have two PINs on file. Telcel works with AT&T. I only activate my storm 2 with verizon when I go home, to LA.
    Interesting. Boost Mobile Motorola i465...works on Sprint's iDEN/push to talk network giving me complete coverage on both sides of the border at pay as you go dirt cheap rates. I thought about looking into a Telcel plan for 3G coverage but I really don't spend enough time in Mexico to justify it.

BTW....the Playbook seems to be pretty much a joke in Tijuana as well.
    10-27-11 07:49 PM
    Interesting. Boost Mobile Motorola i465...works on Sprint's iDEN/push to talk network giving me complete coverage on both sides of the border at pay as you go dirt cheap rates. I thought about looking into a Telcel plan for 3G coverage but I really don't spend enough time in Mexico to justify it.

Ya, Nextel has the same plan. I just want an up to date Blackberry.
    You don't necessarily have to get a plan with Telcel. It's actually a rip off. I pay as I go. Its 500 pesos/month for 3G coverage and whatever I use in minutes/texts. You can charge whatever you want from their selective plans (30 days of data for 500, 15 days for 299, 7 days for 149 and 2 days for 49. prices are in pesos) I do it all at the infamous Oxxo.
    10-27-11 07:53 PM
    Ya, Nextel has the same plan. I just want an up to date Blackberry.
    You don't necessarily have to get a plan with Telcel. It's actually a rip off. I pay as I go. Its 500 pesos/month for 3G coverage and whatever I use in minutes/texts. You can charge whatever you want from their selective plans (30 days of data for 500, 15 days for 299, 7 days for 149 and 2 days for 49. prices are in pesos) I do it all at the infamous Oxxo.
    So can I get a pay as you go Android on Telcel?
    10-27-11 07:56 PM
    you can download and purchase android apps in appstore right now actually.
    10-27-11 07:58 PM
    So can I get a pay as you go Android on Telcel?
    I am not sure.. I know they have it for iPhone and Blackberry. You just charge your phone with whatever amount of money and send a text msg to a 4 digit number. For example BBI30 to 5050 to get 30 days of data on Blackberry. checkout their website www.telcel.com, maybe it'll have more info there.
    10-27-11 07:59 PM
    Sue them.
    10 char
    10-27-11 08:04 PM
    I am not sure.. I know they have it for iPhone and Blackberry. You just charge your phone with whatever amount of money and send a text msg to a 4 digit number. For example BBI30 to 5050 to get 30 days of data on Blackberry. checkout their website www.telcel.com, maybe it'll have more info there.
    That is awesome, and I'd bet Telcel has better 3G service there than Sprint does here. Yes, they have a whole slew of Android phones....I am gettin one, no more ghetto Motorola i465!
    mrismail likes this.
    10-27-11 08:06 PM
    A joke only to those uninformed about the PlayBook because they never used one.

With my BB in my pocket bridged to my PlayBook in hand, I went with a friend last weekend to a used car "tent sale". I used my PlayBook to look up Blue Book values, Consumer Reports and Edmunds used car reviews, calculate his car payment, log into his insurance company site to find his policy number and searched for used car loan rates at his Credit Union (which when I showed it to the the finance lady at the sale she matched it - 2.9%!). My friend (who has an iPhone and an iPad2) was blown away.

You might say "I can do this with an iPad or any other tablet with a 3G connection". Well, I did it all for 'free' with BlackBerry Bridge, saving me $30-40 per month - and my PlayBook is small enough to carry easily.

Yeah, I know all of this also could be done on the phone itself, but the big screen makes it so much easier and the multi-tasking is superb having all of those sites open at once.

I love my PlayBook and don't care if it doesn't have Android apps. It will be nice when they are available though.
    10-27-11 08:20 PM
    If you read wihtin the description... it reads "Plus run many of your favorite apps for BlackBerry smartphones and Android. All available in BlackBerry App World�."

We can't officially download Android apps from App World.

Attachment 96155

RIM misled a lot of us with a lot of promises... Even a lot of fanbois have dropped their fanaticism (though there are still a half dozen or more diehards left in here).

Bridge functions, all sorts of other features.... they even told everybody that you would be able to browse the net "using your existing data plan" and caved in to at&t and screwed over every single owner on that network after they bought the tablet on that false pretense.

Now their stock is sinking further. They will lose more marketshare; the playbook wont ever really pick back up in sales because that ship has sailed and rim botched it too hard.

Its just absolutely pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as the fanbois that are about to jump in here and say "how dare you hold rim to its word!!!"
    10-27-11 09:18 PM
    I would just say if you are unhappy with your purchase, return it to the store and find a product you are happy with and find a fansite/forum for said product and move on. I guess that would be to simple though
    10-27-11 09:25 PM
    I think at one time, rim was planning on a module/something so you could run BB phone apps on the pb. I believe that effort has been abandoned (what is next for abandonment?)
    10-27-11 09:26 PM
    Like howarmat said, there are already Android apps showing up in AppWorld. In other words, no lie. Case closed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Michelle Haag and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-27-11 11:06 PM
    Like howarmat said, there are already Android apps showing up in AppWorld. In other words, no lie. Case closed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    with the beta, unsupported, unofficial android player that requires an OS
    that disables a lot of your official, supported features. Yep.
    10-28-11 04:19 AM
    RIM misled a lot of us with a lot of promises... Even a lot of fanbois have dropped their fanaticism (though there are still a half dozen or more diehards left in here).

Bridge functions, all sorts of other features.... they even told everybody that you would be able to browse the net "using your existing data plan" and caved in to at&t and screwed over every single owner on that network after they bought the tablet on that false pretense.

Now their stock is sinking further. They will lose more marketshare; the playbook wont ever really pick back up in sales because that ship has sailed and rim botched it too hard.

Its just absolutely pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as the fanbois that are about to jump in here and say "how dare you hold rim to its word!!!"
    I thought you felt netter ... bad news today, wrong foot this morning ?
    C'mon ...

It's not RIM that sets AT&T data policy, and we all know there is a workaround via OTA. Quit AT&T and find a loyal provider !
    Bridge is more than fine, it's awesome.
    And the stock ... went down 7% (with every others 2 days ago on NASDAQ) but is going up for two days.

With
    10-28-11 04:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD