Just lost a bet.. My best friend and I have PlayBooks and both wives have ipads...

Video Chat on PB went first... Very choppy video, constantly freezing SUCKS!!
    Facetime went second, WAY better, smooth video, no freezing at all.

I have 12mb internet and our friends are overseas at 1.5mb only.

HAte to loose on a simple task such as video chat, how is it possible BB can't get this feature to work well...

Not yet sure of my feelings, Upsetting or frustrating. Or both... Am i the only one who's noticed this??

Anyways, go RIM...
    07-17-12 08:21 PM
    Not sure. For me video chat on PB was very high resolution, very smooth (at least 30 fps) and no freezes at all. Best of all, the sound quality was awesome which means it was obviously using both microphones (unlike Facetime).

However, me and the guy I was testing with both have 100Mbit/s. So maybe it doesn't downscale for slower internet.

Also, I'd say that Facetime and Skype are using some special codecs (like Silk for audio) to compress the data down. Videochat is probably using some standard codec. Facetime and Skype would vary the resolution dependant on the connection quality too. For instance, you were probably viewing a 480x320 resolution video whereas the Playbook was trying to push 1024x600.

If your friend had 1.5mbit/s downstream, what was his upstream speed?
    Last edited by xsacha; 07-17-12 at 08:31 PM.
    ianbordas likes this.
    07-17-12 08:25 PM
    "Facetime" is to "Video Chat" as "Use" is to "Nonuse" for me. Why? Because zero of my friends own a Playbook; it's a wasted feature for me unfortunately.
    07-17-12 09:44 PM
    "Facetime" is to "Video Chat" as "Use" is to "Nonuse" for me. Why? Because zero of my friends own a Playbook; it's a wasted feature for me unfortunately.
    Hopefully the release of BB10 will change that
    07-17-12 10:54 PM
    Everyone I know uses tango. That's what I look forward to.
    07-18-12 05:15 AM
    Actually used the videochat for the first time yesterday. It was awesome. Clear sound and video. No complaints whatsoever. I have charter and the other user has rogers.
    07-18-12 07:37 AM
    I have used video chat with my niece several times. When she's home, the video is crisp and clean with no chop, when shes out an about(on free wifi or slow bandwith) the video is very choppy and broke up.

I believe the quality of the call is based on your connection. As someone already said, facetime is a 480x320 resolution(less data required), then the PB which has a 1024x600(much more data being used), your connection speed would greatly affect the video/audio quality.
    07-18-12 07:50 AM
    both have worked very well for me.
    no complaints.
    07-18-12 07:54 AM
    I think it was mentioned that the video chat was improved in OS10, probably to adapt to poor data connections that might be seen on a phone.

The other thing about some video chat programs is that to save bandwidth, they only send the updated parts of the image. This means they work better with static backgrounds and when the subject is not moving much. For example, the PlayBook on a table with the subject seated would work better than handheld because less of the image would be changing and less data would need to be sent to make the video feed.
    07-18-12 07:59 AM
    My list of video chat contacts seems to be always expanding. A friend of mine chatted with his daughter who was in East Africa. He's on the west coast. He said it worked fabulously when she was in an airport - at least as good if not better than Skype - and even when she was in more rural areas (though the quality was spotty at times). He is now sold on the playbook. Cross platform would still be nice but so would more people using the Playbook. Word of mouth has a lot to do with that and experiences such as that of my friend's don't hurt.
    07-18-12 09:12 AM
    I truly can't wait for videochat to take off. And when the others like skype, tango, and oovoo allow the pb browser to work it'll be on and poppin. I don't care for the app as long as the browser works.
    07-18-12 10:12 AM
    As someone already said, facetime is a 480x320 resolution(less data required), then the PB which has a 1024x600(much more data being used), your connection speed would greatly affect the video/audio quality.
    Just to clarify: Since early 2011, Facetime has offered 720p resolution to cameras that support it (iPhone 4 + 4S, iPad3 and any Mac laptop made in late 2010 or later.) Before that it was 640x480 VGA, not 480x320.
    07-18-12 11:32 AM
    Just to clarify: Since early 2011, Facetime has offered 720p resolution to cameras that support it (iPhone 4 + 4S, iPad3 and any Mac laptop made in late 2010 or later.) Before that it was 640x480 VGA, not 480x320.
    I think your missing the point. Regardless of what the resolution is, it's a lower res then facetime & as such requires a higher bandwidth....I hope they fix this in BB10 so you can select a lower resolution if you have a slow connection.....
    07-18-12 02:56 PM
    Also, your download speed means nothing in comparison to your upload speed, bad uploads, bad connection.
    07-18-12 03:03 PM
    I think your missing the point. Regardless of what the resolution is, it's a lower res then facetime & as such requires a higher bandwidth....I hope they fix this in BB10 so you can select a lower resolution if you have a slow connection.....
    No, I understood the point. I just wanted to correct the misinformation that Apple's video chat was a measly 480x320, when in fact is is 720p, that's all. That's a huge difference.. over 6x the difference!

480*320 = 153,000 pixels
    1280*720 = 921,600 pixels
    Last edited by look_alive; 07-18-12 at 03:13 PM.
    07-18-12 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD