Link: FAA OKs iPad for Pilots’ Charts | Autopia | Wired.com

First off, I hope this isn't covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything. Apparently the FAA has just authorized the iPad for pilots to use as an alternative to paper charts. Anyhow how the playbook relevance to this is I figured it would be cool if RIM pushed into this area with their playbook. I have seen a few posts about playbooks being used for business, and in hospitals and it all looks really cool. What if our pilots (civilian, military, general aviation) used a playbook (or I guess an iPad) in place of having to always carry around a ton of paper publications and maps? Obviously battery life, sun glare, etc would be a concern, but even if a pilot needed to carry all of their charts as a backup, it would still save time if all of these could be loaded into a playbook to be accessed immediately (maybe with updates downloaded as they are released? or weather updates?).

This would definitely be low on the priority list for RIM right now, but I think it would be pretty neat if they tried to set up a program for companies to use a playbook as a tool for their pilots. From my inexperienced viewpoint, it would at least be better for the task than the iPad.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share. It seemed pretty cool to me.
    luvac1 likes this.
    03-01-11 08:20 PM
    I think the 10 inch screen really helps them out when it comes to being used for charts and for checklists like that. I'm not saying the Playbook wouldn't also be a good possibility but, as an aviation enthusiast myself, I think the bigger screen would be a much better option to take up.
    Either way, I think it's pretty cool that this technology is being accepted and pushed around in business sectors like this. Thanks for sharing!
    03-01-11 09:52 PM
    I agree with luvac1. A bigger screen would be better for charts. Those charts contain a lot of information.

At one point I thought about getting at least a VFR license but with fuel pricing and other things I guess I'll have to stick to MS Flightsim lol
    03-01-11 10:23 PM
    I think the 10 inch screen really helps them out when it comes to being used for charts and for checklists like that. I'm not saying the Playbook wouldn't also be a good possibility but, as an aviation enthusiast myself, I think the bigger screen would be a much better option to take up.
    Either way, I think it's pretty cool that this technology is being accepted and pushed around in business sectors like this. Thanks for sharing!

That's a good point, the bigger screen would definitely be a plus... I just have a strong anti-apple bias lol! I wouldn't think the 7inch screen would bother me, but for those charts yeah I would bet the more screen real estate the better.

Also they already have kneeboards designed for them: Sporty's iPad Kneeboard - Sporty's Pilot Shop
    03-01-11 10:27 PM
    This thread really illustrates the idea that you buy/use/distribute the device that best meets the need. In this instance, the larger display is a definite advantage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 06:44 AM
    I think that RIM will eventually come out with a larger screen Playbook. Once they have the 7" size down and work the bugs out it would be easy to just just source a larger screen and stick in the 7" guts and even add a bigger battery with the real estate. It will take them longer to shrink it into a phone. They probably just want to see what kind of reception they get with the 7" model, run some focus groups or survey's and if a lot of people say things like "yeah its better than the iPad but I would need a bigger screen to buy one" then they'll ramp up a larger model and offer both. At this early in the Tablet market I don't think anyone can say one size is superior to the other for other people, they can for themselves, but not everyone. 7" seems great to me, but I know that some people would say its too small for them, and I understand and respect that and see their is a market for larger sizes.
    03-02-11 09:01 AM
    iPads are taking the aviation world by storm. This FAA approval is only for commercial ops like scheduled flights or charters. Folks flying around "Part 91" have been free to use basically whatever they want as electronic flight bags for a couple of years now.

A tablet will just about pay for itself within the first year for a pilot that flies frequently (especially IFR) just in chart savings. $75 a year for charts is very, very cheap. (10x that for the 'certified' version )

I only fly little planes...the cockpit is pretty tight in a Cessna 182. The smaller size of the PB will be plus IMO.
    viking87 likes this.
    03-02-11 09:59 AM
    Heck...you can get a plane built around an iPad now
    03-02-11 10:01 AM
    If and when the PB has a larger 9" or 10" screen, would it be possible for the PB to be linked into the FAA traffic control systems or radar systems through the BES? That way, not only could they have maps loaded onto the device, but they could see other planes in the area. I don't fly planes, so I don't know if those types of systems are already in a cockpit, but could be a good idea if they're not, especially at busier airports when dealing with all the takeoffs and landings.
    03-02-11 11:27 AM
    iPads are taking the aviation world by storm. This FAA approval is only for commercial ops like scheduled flights or charters. Folks flying around "Part 91" have been free to use basically whatever they want as electronic flight bags for a couple of years now.

A tablet will just about pay for itself within the first year for a pilot that flies frequently (especially IFR) just in chart savings. $75 a year for charts is very, very cheap. (10x that for the 'certified' version )

I only fly little planes...the cockpit is pretty tight in a Cessna 182. The smaller size of the PB will be plus IMO.
    Me too, surely you jest. 10 inch would be a minimum size.
    03-02-11 11:35 AM
    That's a good point, the bigger screen would definitely be a plus... I just have a strong anti-apple bias lol! I wouldn't think the 7inch screen would bother me, but for those charts yeah I would bet the more screen real estate the better.

Also they already have kneeboards designed for them: Sporty's iPad Kneeboard - Sporty's Pilot Shop
    Oh no worries, I can't stand Apple and I'd never buy any of their products but I'm not blind enough to ignore that certain things are better suited for certain markets haha. Well, maybe there'll be a 10in Playbook in a while and we'll take em by storm then!

Also, @drjay868:
    Most new commercial airplane (if not at all by now) have systems with forward looking radar and even a system where you can see other planes around you (at least a system which notifies you if a plane is headed your way). I think a tablet might be great if you can download broader view maps which would let the pilots see an entire overview of the storm rather than simply the forward view. Many feel that the Air France accident a year back was caused by the pilot's inability to see the magnitude of the storm he was heading in.
    Anyway, I do feel that tablets could provide a lot of useful secondary information for cockpits which would not only make a pilot's job more efficient but also would help with the overall safety of the airplane.
    viking87 likes this.
    03-02-11 11:57 AM
    While the 10 inch screen may be better for seeing a large picture format of charts, currently paper charts are 8.5 x 5.5 inches.

The ability to easily see a chart for an airport, and another app would be the biggest benefit over a slightly larger depiction of the same information.
    03-02-11 02:09 PM
    If and when the PB has a larger 9" or 10" screen, would it be possible for the PB to be linked into the FAA traffic control systems or radar systems through the BES? That way, not only could they have maps loaded onto the device, but they could see other planes in the area. I don't fly planes, so I don't know if those types of systems are already in a cockpit, but could be a good idea if they're not, especially at busier airports when dealing with all the takeoffs and landings.
    This is kind of what I was thinking about with a really neat playbook integration into aviation information systems... though I rightfully got debunked over the screen size.

This thread really illustrates the idea that you buy/use/distribute the device that best meets the need. In this instance, the larger display is a definite advantage.
    BES, blackberry's supposed security and business perks could all potentially make the playbook the best "system" that meets the need... the screen size as mentioned on the device would be a problem though.

Heck...you can get a plane built around an iPad now
    Now thats just ridiculous.

Thanks for weighing in on this everybody, I thought it was neat being that I am an aviation and blackberry enthusiast and all (about to start pilot training in a year!)
    Last edited by viking87; 03-02-11 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling :(
    03-02-11 07:08 PM
    Hi all!

I did a search on Google for the terms of "Blackberry Playbook Aviation" and got this forum... I am a current rated Commercial Pilot working on my ATP (as soon as I turn 23 I will be eligible) and Flight Instructor who loves his BB Storm 2. After reading this post, here are my thoughts about my speculation of the Playbook in my area of flying...

Starting off in pre-flight actions, a full web experience will be most beneficial because I could probably access AOPA flight planner right from there, and get a full legal weather briefing through my account on Duat. I'm sure Pilot My-Cast would be available for the Playbook, as I have it on both of my Storms. It's not a legal source of weather like DUAT/DUATS, but its a great advisory service and has great features in a few clicks. Sure the bigger screen of the IPad would probably be nicer, but I would need to take size into consideration... IPad seems like its a two hander... where as the playbook would be easily comfortable and stable in one hand and strapped to my knee as a kneeboard. Even loose handed it probably wouldn't be awkward when I'm in the small cockpit of our trainers.

As mover23 stated our IFR approach plates and Airport Facility directories are 5.5"w by 8.25"h. Dimensionally that fits the Playbook with my flight bag perfectly! I could even put it in a bump case and have room to spare in my flight bag! Less is more to me. If I go on a big trip I take my laptop with... Yuck! it's awkward and I can't even use it for in-flight operations. I could get away with just my Storm and Playbook easily for big trips. Even if all I had was a web based utilities for pre-flight and approach plates and A/FD's. I would be ecstatic! Who knows if the makers of the WingX program will program for the Playbook. If they fully implement the full capability of the Playbook, I'll buy it without even thinking twice!

Back to the IPad for a moment. Big screen is a pro, I just feel it will be clumsy as an end result. Ok, so I am not a fan of Apple... but I do have and use Mac Pro because I got it free. But shhhh it is boot camped with windows 7 and I'm not using the Mac side of it. I'm a business user, I want a tool not a toy. I want my tools to come first. Then when the job is over... Lets play. I see the Playbook as a tool first. Where as the IPad is more of a overgrown Iphone/Ipod Touch. Which has its priorities of fun first then a phone function added.

I don't write this as bashing Apple and praising RIM.... It's just my opinions and observations. So those that read this post, please don't take my words to heart.

Jay
    viking87 likes this.
    03-04-11 10:38 PM
    Me too, surely you jest. 10 inch would be a minimum size.
    I'm a commercial pilot, and I can say the 7" would work great. 10 is too big....look at the size of the paper plates, they are also 7". And if you ever sit in the cockpit of a new boeing or airbus, they come with 7" electronic flightbags built into the plane.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 04:16 PM
    I am an IFR pilot and I would LOVE to see this on the Playbook. The smaller size is much more convenient in tight cockpits and it can be mounted with more flexibility than the larger counterparts. The Playbook screen is larger with higher resolution than the vast majority of panel mounted certified displays so I'm very comfortable it will be very readable on the PB.
    04-02-12 08:09 AM
    You can certainly access and load current FAA products onto your PlayBook. It's not truly an electronic flight bag but works for planning purposes and doesn't cost a thing (yet).

Available are all the low and high altitude charts, airport diagrams, approach charts, SID's etc.

Check it out:

Digital Products

Old Ag
    04-02-12 08:43 AM
    D'oh!

10 character
    04-02-12 11:35 AM
    This is definitely more suited for an iPad over a PlayBook.
    04-02-12 11:38 AM
    let's see. QNX is currently running about a million products globally, in cars, gps, stereos, some TV's and the list is growing, (Watch out Java), and on the ISS. IOS is running on some pads and a few phones, (no knocking them lots of them sold, but still a handfull of models). let it have the FAA approval. The FAA does not always make the best decisions for the true safety and well being of its staff and passengers. Shame they did not go with a more secure device though, maybe one that has FIPS Compliance....which I think makes my point of best decisions... (homeland security must be rolling over at the golf course right now)
    04-02-12 11:56 AM
    This is definitely more suited for an iPad over a PlayBook.
    I'm an Airline Transport Rated pilot who's flown thousands of hours and I can categorically say you don't know your a$$ from your mouth in this instance. The current charts that pilots use (Jeppeson's or government issued) are about the same size as the PlayBook. Unless you own your own experimentally certified aircraft, you won't be doing panel mods to put in the large screen but will use a chart holder on the control yoke just like you do for paper charts. You won't want a big 10" display blocking your view of more critical instruments. You'll use the PlayBook in Portrait view just like the charts that it replaces as that's how the charts are laid out (and have been since the dawn of instrument flight).
    04-08-12 03:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD