I didin't have much success with the internal gps receiver. It has worked sometimes, but it's really picky. I have an external bluetooth gps receiver that has worked great for me on other devices without an integrated receiver and was wondering if I could have the playbook use it instead of the internal gps. I was able to pair it to the playbook, but none of the apps that I tried seemed to use its signal.

Does anyone has experience with external receivers?
    01-08-12 09:46 PM
    This can't be done, yet. Maybe some time after 2.0 is out.
    01-08-12 11:33 PM
    Someone else asked this within the last week. At the moment the pb does not appear to have the ability to pair with anything other than a mouse and keyboard and using the Bridge function, a bbphone. (os2 beta has added a2dp for headphones).

What do you mean by picky - the issue now is generally we have limited software choices that use the gps.
    01-08-12 11:39 PM
    I tested a XGPS150 Universal GPS Receiver, with Bluetooth, on a Playbook using OS1. This GPS receiver will work with an iPod, iPad, iPhone and is claimed to work with Android phones and tablets. In my brief test with the Playbook, it did not work.
    01-09-12 12:04 AM
    Has any one had any luck getting the xgps 150 to work with their Playbook. I get mine to pair but it does not connect. All the literature I have read states that it will work on the Playbook, even on the shop.crackberry web page. The Playbook manual says that the Bluetooth should work with SPP devices which the xgps150 is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I was on the phone with Playbook tech support for 3 hours and we even reloaded the Playbook with no help.
    03-07-12 05:38 PM
    jdiaz998, seriously? SPP is not officially supported yet, or so we thought. Have you got a link to the manual where it talks about that? I'm greatly surprised to hear tech support actually tried working with you on this.

And even if it does connect, what app are you going to use to talk to it? The OS itself isn't going to go looking for an external GPS over Bluetooth, I'm 99% sure. (I've been wrong before when I'm 99% sure, but this time I'm 99% sure I'm not. ;-) )
    03-07-12 07:47 PM
    Has any one had any luck getting the xgps 150 to work with their Playbook. I get mine to pair but it does not connect. All the literature I have read states that it will work on the Playbook, even on the shop.crackberry web page. The Playbook manual says that the Bluetooth should work with SPP devices which the xgps150 is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I was on the phone with Playbook tech support for 3 hours and we even reloaded the Playbook with no help.
    From page 44 of the User Guide:
    Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to your BlackBerry smartphone through the BlackBerry Bridge application.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.0-US.pdf

The comment in the user guide is very specific to Bridge functionality - pointedly, it does not mention external GPS. There is no doubt that privileged 3rd party developers (Poynt for example) can use this profile in apps but there is currently no published API for connecting via the SPP profile that mere mortal developers can use. If there was any such thing, it would provide fertile ground for extreme developmental creativity. Alas, we have to wait a bit longer.
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-07-12 08:04 PM
    From page 44 of the User Guide:
    Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to your BlackBerry smartphone through the BlackBerry Bridge application.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.0-US.pdf

The comment in the user guide is very specific to Bridge functionality - pointedly, it does not mention external GPS. There is no doubt that privileged 3rd party developers (Poynt for example) can use this profile in apps but there is currently no published API for connecting via the SPP profile that mere mortal developers can use. If there was any such thing, it would provide fertile ground for extreme developmental creativity. Alas, we have to wait a bit longer.
    Thanks BuzzStarField, I figured as much. One more question. Would a Rooted Playbook be able to connect to a gps unit?
    03-08-12 07:19 AM
    Thanks BuzzStarField, I figured as much. One more question. Would a Rooted Playbook be able to connect to a gps unit?
    In theory, a rooted PB can do whatever you can make it do. The emphasis is on the word "you". It's certainly not a practical option for most consumers.
    03-08-12 08:57 AM
    In theory, a rooted PB can do whatever you can make it do. The emphasis is on the word "you". It's certainly not a practical option for most consumers.
    Sorry about that. I was infering from the paragrapgh above that SPP was available for other devices also.

" Supported Bluetooth profiles

Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet uses Bluetooth profiles to communicate with different types of Bluetooth enabled devices. To find out if your tablet supports a specific Bluetooth enabled device, you can check the information available for the device to see what profiles it uses. Your tablet supports the profiles listed here."

Listed under this paragraph is the SPP profile. When I read it, it appeared to me that they were just stating that the bridge also used SPP to connect.

Guess, I'll go back to trying build one that will work.

By the way, I was planning on using Latitude which I currently have loaded and use throught my bridged phones bluetooth to the XPS 150 Gps.

Thanks for the inof.
    03-12-12 02:34 PM
    Any updates if xgps150 working on the playbook?
    12-07-13 08:03 PM
    I don't believe any external devices can provide data to the pb like that.
    12-08-13 01:07 PM
    Hi, I too don't think there is a system support for external GPS (Z10, namely). Internal GPS is pretty sensitive and fast, problem is a battery drain. For some years I'm using java (now Android port) application called Trekbuddy, which is making use of serial port of a bluetooth device. No special setup is needed, just have paired GPS device - it lists in OS like "bluetooth serial port device" or something, surely not "external GPS". But my requirements are limited to "custom car display" and for that purpose mentioned application is handy. As for navigation I'm still with my previous phone, and someday later will try BB OS10 options - I'm not a navigation freak that much, twice a year at most.

So there might be and app using bluetooth GPS, but probably there is none system GPS substitution option like it was on Symbian devices.

Myrra
    11-08-14 02:33 PM
    10.3.1 does not have GPS bluetooth profile.
    05-02-15 10:51 AM
    Yep, it's a shame that BB10 doesn't have a GPS profile.

However, if you install Bluetooth GPS for Android on your BB10, then you can use an external GPS receiver with the Android apps that you can run on your BB10 device.
    06-10-16 07:58 AM
    BB OS10 isn't available on the playbook.
    06-10-16 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD