Will it be possible to connect an external CD/DVD drive to the PlayBook to put your music CDs on it and maybe even burn stuff?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 11:57 AM
    No, if you need this capability then a tablet is the wrong place to look, now anyways.
    03-27-11 12:03 PM
    And why does it have a media player then? How do I get my music on it?

03-27-11 02:42 PM
    Media sync with your computer.

03-27-11 02:53 PM
    The internet, file sharing, streaming etc and desktop manager. Tablets are not pcs and no tablet, including apple or android tablets will support cd/dvd drives.
    03-27-11 03:01 PM
    Okay, but it will also work with a Mac? Because I plan to switch from Win to Mac!

03-27-11 04:08 PM
    Should be able with mass storage to drag and drop your files over. Maybe an app will come so that you can view network drives and store you files there, I want to do this.
    03-27-11 04:11 PM
    Okay, but it will also work with a Mac? Because I plan to switch from Win to Mac!

It should work. However, DM for Mac does not offer the same capability as DM for Windows.

If you do not plan to run Windows on your Mac, you probably would be better off getting an iPad.
    03-27-11 04:13 PM
    Oh no! Seems like BlackBerry slowly takes me away from Apple!

03-27-11 05:24 PM
    It depends on how the USB drivers are designed, and if RIM thinks it's a priority.

If it's possible to include drivers into your program to access specific equipment, then you'll just have to wait for the apps. I hope that RIM does something like this, because it would allow access to highly specialized equipment (nothing comes to mond though). I think RIM would just have to use QNX's sandboxing feature to ensure a bad driver doesn't destabilize the OS. I know that Macs allow for User-level drivers to be imbedded into apps, so following the legacy trail QNX may be able to do this.

if the drivers are under the complete control of RIM, then not likely. RIM *could* create a driver for disk drives, but it's not a major priority.
    03-28-11 01:41 AM
    so have they added more usb support in the last year? it'd be nice if I could just get an external dvd drive and play dvd's with it, rather than having to rip movies with a full computer and then transfer them over

also what about keyboards? if I get a female to female usb port and connect my keyboard to blackberry will it work?
    08-04-12 11:39 AM
    No, you still can't use an external drive with the PB.

Here is a solution you can use for an external keyboard. I'm sure there are more as well.
    08-04-12 11:53 AM

It will work fine with a Mac. Desktop Manager for Mac (or Windows, both free downloads) will allow you to either sync all of your media files or select which ones to transfer, and there are plenty of other ways to do this as well. I don't even use DM much, I often just transfer files using Dropbox, and there are a few Playbook apps that support Dropbox. I use Files and Folders, as it also supports SugarSync, Box, and Google Drive, and the developer will be adding SkyDrive support.
    08-04-12 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD