Anyone confirm a Battery Pack that works with the Playbook? I had a nice Brookstone 3000mA that is a high capacity one...that does not work with my Playbook :-(.
    04-24-11 10:40 AM
    yeah I've noticed that some of my car chargers don't work either...

PG
    04-24-11 10:58 AM
    This works (although I haven't tried to charge it completely yet, so I do not know how much charge or how quickly it will give to the PB):

http://shop.crackberry.com/ventev-po...medium=content

Update: The Ventev charger works well but it does not have near enough power to give a full charge to the PB. I just tested and it gave almost a 30% charge to the PB in about an hour but it drained the Ventev down almost all of the way.
    The Ventev charger does have enough power to fully charge my phone, so it's just a "plus" that it can also give a boost to the PB. It's a pretty neat accessory.
    Last edited by tellsells; 04-24-11 at 01:26 PM.
    04-24-11 11:24 AM
    anyone else try one yet?
    04-26-11 08:20 AM
    04-28-11 08:59 AM
    Tried the Dream Gear (i.Sound Portable Power - 8000 mAh). Charges all my portable usb devices except for playbook.
    04-28-11 09:48 AM
    Tried the Dream Gear (i.Sound Portable Power - 8000 mAh). Charges all my portable usb devices except for playbook.
    the 16000mAh is a better play, twice the power for less than twice the price, about $82 US on Amazon. This should completely recharge the PB and your phone when needed.
    04-28-11 10:03 AM
    Doesn't fully recharge (ie, drains the backup batterie before the Playbook is fully recharged) or does not recharge at all?
    04-28-11 10:12 AM
    Does not charge PlayBook at all, paid $32.00 online if it only would have worked.
    Last edited by determined61; 04-28-11 at 07:19 PM.
    04-28-11 07:17 PM
    Hmm, the battery is more powerful than the Playbook battery. Two reason I can think of why it wouldn't work:

1. The rated current output is too low for the Playbook to use it.

2. Playbook was off instead of standby?
    04-28-11 07:38 PM
    PlayBook was on, for an hour with no change in battey guage, also there was no lightning bolt through batt.
    04-28-11 08:55 PM
    Then it's option 1...
    04-28-11 10:20 PM
    the problem with the 16000 one is not power. there is something wrong with their usb ports. i used the blackberry cables and no luck. tried the one it comes with and no luck. just about to return it and i tried a short cord i had from a duracell battery pack plus an adapter to get the end to the micro end we need and what do you know,it worked for my torch and playbook. took it from about 25% left to 100 in about 2 hrs. so, it works but needs a very picky cord. i have an email to their support to try to figure out what is up but for now i have 2 cords that work and just need 1 more adapter so i can charge my torch and playbook at the same time since it has 5 ports.
    05-12-11 12:13 AM
    The cable issue has been covered in a few threads before but I'll post some info here as well. Some USB cables ARE different as they support charging ONLY and not data transfer / sync. Basically these cables have their data lines shorted together on the device side to tell it that it can draw more then the 500mAh USB standard.

I've got a few of these around: For only $11.21 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini USB Backup Battery Pack for Smart Phones, Cell Phones and Cameras (2800mAh) Black | Back Up External Battery and Charger
    And I use them with my PB and all my other USB chargeable devices with a few little adapter cables. I modified the Motorola mini usb to micro usb cables so that the data pins were shorted on the micro side. This allows me to use any USB mini cable as a power source to charge my devices.

The 2800mAh isn't enough to charge the PB completely, but it can come pretty close to 50% from a full charge and it does it pretty quickly. As it stands it's a great backup for my phone and PB to get me over the hump till I can get to a real charger. (A 2000mAh car USB adatper is a great charger for the PB, fast!!)
    05-12-11 01:23 AM
    O have one similar to this and it will charge my PB. have not given it a full test, yet, but it basically works
    05-12-11 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.