OK I admit that I've been a bit of an anti Android Grinch around here and with good reason and that is the crappy converted or ported phone apps that have no business being in App World for the PlayBook. And the original implementation of the Android Run Time was pretty poor.

I will not yet say that "I've seen the light!" but I have been experimenting with both Ghost Commander and X-plore file utilities because drilling down into the guts of a device is something that I enjoy doing.

So the point is why does the PlayBook not support .ogg file types when there are alarms, notifications and ringtones in /system/media/audio on the PlayBook?

Second question: are these audio files part of the Android Run-time and just come with it or will they someday be incorporated as user choices in the OS?

Exploring with X-plore and finding surprises-img_00000007.jpg

This image is from X-plore which plays .ogg files from within a folder.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 10-27-12 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added second question.
    10-27-12 09:25 PM
    Must be Android, I can't even find those folders to begin with.

Are they in /accounts/1000 or somewhere else in the PlayBook's filesystem?
    10-27-12 10:14 PM
    I think you're right.

Its from root (/) then system then /media then /audio.

They're not protected either. I was able to copy the /ringtones folder to the /downloads folder then to my PC and play them with vlc.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 10-27-12 at 10:51 PM. Reason: More info
    10-27-12 10:34 PM
    Welcome to the dark side. I think those files are probably part of the android runtime, since ogg files are not listed as supported on the PB and it seems that only a few sideloaded android apps will play them. Same seems true for midi files- a few android apps will play them but nothing, that I'm aware of, native. Anyhow, you've only scratched the surface with X-Plore. In addition to being a really good file manager, it may be the best Cloud access app available for the PB, since it is the only app that I'm aware of that can stream audio and video from multiple Cloud services- Dropbox, Box, Skydrive, Sugarsync and others.
    Zildjian71 and Shanerredflag like this.
    10-27-12 11:30 PM