Hello all,

I have been experiencing some serious lag time with several different aspects of the PB. This has been going on for almost 8 weeks now.
    Situation: Almost 8 weeks ago I was leaving home for such time. I loaded the PB up with videos and such to fill any free time. Shortly after I began to notice that my PB had slowed down its response time.
    Simple actions such as opening videos, pictures, loading a game, going into settings and trying to select a sub-menu became a 30 second task. Naturally I figured it was because I had filled pretty much all the storage space on my PB. I began to delete videos, freeing up 10gb. Still experienced the same problems.
    The biggest nuisance I have been having has been at the home screen and in the browser. When I go to select settings, wi-fi, bluetooth or standby menu, it at times seems it doesn't register that I am touching the screen. Sometimes taking a minute for it to come up. No exaggerating, a minute!
    In the browser I am having the same problems. I select browser, the logo will go transparent, take too long to open, followed by waiting for my bookmarks to come up. Once browsing, accessing new windows, swiping from the top bezel and etc. Just takes too long for comfort.

Now I know, hitching about waiting for 15 seconds, or what not just seems a bit snobby, but with this machine in my hands, it shouldn't be taking that long. Considering I haven't experienced such problems like this since getting it last November, and knowing what it's capable of, I really what to get this sorted out. It's beginning to ruin my PB pleasure!

Here are some techno facts that might help.
    64GB PB Free storage as of right now- 23.4GB
    Free memory with just this browser open is 343.1mb
    Resting free memory is usually between 450-550mb
    My last boot time was 11 days before the time of this post.

Hopefully I can get some ideas. Now that I am back home and access to my desktop, I am thinking about reinstalling the OS. We will see what comes up.
    jessedawson628 likes this.
    08-14-12 04:59 PM
    How's your battery life?
    08-14-12 05:06 PM
    I'm getting lag since I went to 668. Restart fixes it temporarily. I'm doing restart every day now.
    Hoping 2.1 will fix it, if it ever shows up.
    08-14-12 05:18 PM
    How's your battery life?
    Has been about normal. With continuous use, watching videos playing games here and there, I charge it about every second evening. No change really since purchase.
    08-14-12 05:27 PM
    Any sideloaded Android apps?

Close everything - how much free memory? Reboot/restart - how much free memory with nothing having been run other than checking memory?

Try all of the various restart methods listed below. But you might consider a Security wipe (after a full manual backup of unique files). Erasing all data - it is possibly there's some corrupt file and it might be interfering with indexing all of your media?????

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

How long have you had it. If all else fails including an reload of the OS using Desktop manager, call rim:

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-*&&_^$$_*$!)
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-14-12 05:37 PM
    I have also been experiencing EXTREME lag on a lot of aspects of the PB. I would really like to reload the OS ... however I do not have a computer capable of loading Blackberry Desktop Software (Mac running Tiger).

I guess ill deal with it now until I can find a friend willing to let me use their computer to load BBDM, back up all my stuff and reload an OS on it.
    08-14-12 05:43 PM
    F2- No sideloaded apps. Not tech savy enough to do that.

Thanks for the tips. Out right now, Will give them a whirl and post up the memory numbers and see if there is any difference in the next 24 after some reboots.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using the CB App!
    08-14-12 05:49 PM
    Also, with what F2 is saying, that reminds me.

There is a tv file in my videos that will not delete. I select delete, it disappears, then the next time I open it, it is back.

So this could be a "corrupt" file?

08-14-12 05:53 PM
    Hmm. What tv files - not an app but a video file?

Have you hooked up to computer and tried deleting either with usb or wifi-sharing? Did you copy it there or how did it get there? What size does it show? You might try using one of the various File Managers including the free Air browser (ghost commander is also a free in appworld android app but is a bit complex when first learning to navigate)
    08-14-12 07:51 PM
    So the free memory before reboot is, 517.1mb
    After reboot is 589.8

I will be trying to delete the file from computer tomorrow. It is a .avi file of a episode of MASH. I had copied and pasted the whole season through My Computer, thats why I figure the whole season didnt work.

08-14-12 08:21 PM
    Well I finally got around to sorting my PB out last night. I did a back up of settings and apps, followed by a security wipe. Restored from the latest back up and what a world of difference. Security wipe did what ever it did and sorted it out. Thanks for the tips!
    08-17-12 10:24 AM
    Awesome, glad to hear. That behavior definitely wasn't normal. I think you had something corrupt somewhere, although it's hard telling what it is. It wasn't something that made it onto the backup file, clearly.
    08-17-12 11:47 AM
    I am thinking it was some corrupt media. Before I did the security wipe, I deleted all the existing video files. After I checked to see how much memory it cleared up and I was still only at 33gb. My apps only took up 5.5gb. So I don't know what was eating up the remaining.
    08-17-12 12:21 PM
    I had this issue with my playbook for a couple weeks after the 3mb update to, did a few wipe's & re-installs, but was still the same.... I was hoping when .840 was released it would be fixed.... but alas it was still there, even after a fresh reboot without opening any programs, it would take forever to open the wifi, bluetooth options from the top bar, or the PLaybook options..... Swiping down on the browser would usually take 10 to 30 seconds!! In my search for the problem, I removed the Android App ES File Explorer, and my problem is gone.......
    08-17-12 12:26 PM
    Great news. Enjoy the more responsive pb.
    08-17-12 12:33 PM
    I blamed .688 for the slow down and laggyness... and ended up upgrading my production model to the latest beta.

Then I suspected the 32gb of video and 5,500+ pictures on the device...(Only have leaving 2.1gb of free storage on production unit)..but before doing an extreme file wipe of the device, I decided to do a bit of uninstalling.

So I did a roll back of some application I last loaded, ones that aren't on my experimental playbook which is running fine. It wasn't as if the laggy operation just happened after one install, that would be too easy to fix, but decided I'd rather do this than have to copy all my stuff back on after a wipe.

I removed the following, not blaming them but could have had a corrupt file, who knows!

-Tablet tv

Did another restart and playbook is happy again

Nokia Lumia 800
    Playbook 64gb OS
    Playbook 64gb OS
    09-07-12 07:20 AM
    I'm getting lag since I went to 668. Restart fixes it temporarily. I'm doing restart every day now.
    Hoping 2.1 will fix it, if it ever shows up.
    +1. Before I didn't really notice it, but as of recent Im getting lots of lag as well it temporarily freezes when trying to transition between multi-tasked apps.
    09-07-12 07:23 AM