So, I can't tell you how jazzed I am to be able to use Exchange on my Playbook! This is a huge step forward... But, as I am using it I am starting to notice some peculiarities...

The biggest of which is that when I delete a message from my Inbox on the PB that doesn't sync to the Exchange server to move the message from the Inbox to the Deleted Items. It seems to just delete it leaving no trace of the message. This is a huge problem as I need to be able to look up those e-mails later.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this in the forums, so maybe it is just a problem for me. Can anyone confirm whether they are experiencing the same thing?
    bounderboy likes this.
    02-24-12 03:03 PM
    I thought as an additional test I would confirm how my iPhone works, when I delete a message from the iPhone it moves it from the Inbox to the Deleted Items folder on the Exchange server as expected. So, my PB is clearly not doing something right.
    bounderboy likes this.
    02-24-12 03:10 PM
    I don't know the exact steps to do this, but here is a superficial suggestion.

Look into your enterprise email settings, and see if you can change the emails to 'keep on server' after doing the delete, or something to that nature. I know it can be done, but unfortunately I do not recall the exact steps. Hope you can find it

Someone posted something about a similar issue, try doing a 'search' in the forums you may find a better explanation.
    Last edited by anindoc; 02-24-12 at 03:19 PM.
    02-24-12 03:17 PM
    I can't find anything in the PB settings that enable "keep on server". The server itself is already configured this way as my iPhone behaves correctly.
    02-24-12 03:19 PM
    Why are you deleting them if you expect to 'look at them later' as you say? The "DELETED ITEMS" folder on your Exchange Mailbox should not be used for permanent storage. If it's important, file it to a different folder.

That said - if you use Outlook 2010/2007, you should select either the INBOX, or DELETED ITEMS folder, and then on the ribbon, browse to the FOLDER tab. There you will have a "RECOVER DELETED ITEMS" button. Select that and you can retrieve recently deleted items:

02-24-12 03:21 PM
    I know a lot of people go with the filing in folders method, but for me it is way quicker to simply do a search for whatever I needed in the past.

Since I am using Outlook 2003, I don't have the luxury of the Recover Deleted Items. Even then I am not so sure that the way PB is deleting them I would still be able to recover them from another application.

I'm not trying to "hate" on the PB, I love it. My issue is that normal behavior would have the deleted message moves to the Deleted Items folder, not purging it from the system.
    bounderboy and GolfCity like this.
    02-24-12 03:26 PM
    I am having a similar problem, when emails are downloaded on playbook it is deleting them from server and are gone when I try to view on desktop. I have checked the email settings on playbook and the "leave on server" option is on, so it should be leaving it on server but it is removing them for some reason. Anyone else have a similar problem?
    02-24-12 03:39 PM
    I know a lot of people go with the filing in folders method, but for me it is way quicker to simply do a search for whatever I needed in the past.

Since I am using Outlook 2003, I don't have the luxury of the Recover Deleted Items. Even then I am not so sure that the way PB is deleting them I would still be able to recover them from another application.

I'm not trying to "hate" on the PB, I love it. My issue is that normal behavior would have the deleted message moves to the Deleted Items folder, not purging it from the system.
    You do know the system administrator can change the deleted items folder retention settings at any time, and you could be without those right?

You can still recover deleted items in Outlook 2003 -Click on Tools, and then the Recover Deleted Items icon (which looks like the recycle bin, lookout not to click on the left icon - that'll empty your deleted items folder).

Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-24-12 at 04:05 PM.
    02-24-12 04:00 PM
    When you try with your iDevice is it connected to the same exchange server?
    I had this problem before but found that it was my e-mail provider being dodgy and not the BB.

The 'leave on server' option is not there for exchange accounts afaik.
    02-24-12 04:39 PM
    The 'leave on server' option is not there for exchange accounts afaik.
    Correct... Actions performed on the PlayBook will synchronize to their mailbox, deletions included. This is instead bypassing their Deleted Items folder where many actually store mail, it seems.
    02-24-12 05:13 PM
    the bigger problem is, it doesn't support syncing to custom folders! 23 of my Outlook rules gone to waste so i can enjoy email on my PB. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...d-ones-702092/
    02-24-12 05:44 PM
    I have today set up an Exchange 2003 mailbox on my PlayBook successfully. I have already done this on IOS devices successfully so was really pleased to see they are using Active Sync rather than a poor IMAPI implementation.

However I am experiencing the same problem with deletions - if I delete something it disappears never to be seen again as far as I can see.

People have mentioned leave deleted files on the server but this is a POP setting not an Active Sync setting.

Also if I delete something from my inbox within outlook the email is not then removed from the inbox on my playbook?

Pretty sure this is an implementation issue and not a server issue as these actions work fine on Iphone/Ipad..

Any ideas?
    03-09-12 09:45 AM
    I have Exchange 2010 with sp1 and I can confirm if I delete emails on my Playbook, they get moved to the Deleted Items folder in my Outlook.

To me the big problem with deletion is with hotmail and gmail. I would like to have the options to leave on the server side when I delete my hotmail and gmail emails.
    bounderboy likes this.
    03-09-12 10:20 AM
    Wonder if its implementation with Exchange 2003 that is the problem then?
    03-09-12 10:29 AM
    I just took at look mine out of shear PANIC, no issues here. I am running Lotus via Domino via active sync hosted on lotus traveler. All works perfect. I would think that those on a straight MS exchange server would not have issues.
    03-09-12 11:01 AM
    ok im having issues with activesync on my PB too ... ive got it connected to two exchange servers (my own and my companies) mine is exchange 2003 company is exchange 2007. my contacts and calender both sync fine on both accounts but the email does not on either. ive got BES-x on my home server system and my 9800 is connected to it and it works perfectly. my 9800 is connected to exchange 2007 @ work via IMAP due to IMAP having direct push unlike using OWA that has a 20 min delay. if it turn off email sync on my PB on either account and save settings and then re enable it the email updates to its current level but will not update new received or sent emails. im still integrating my PB into my life so its not a big deal at the moment but solution to this would be great. either that or RIM should get their butts working faster on getting BES support on the PB
    03-12-12 10:42 PM
    Danbcrack, RIM has BES support for the playbook but it is not called BES it is Fusion. You can read all about it and download it from here: BlackBerry - Mobile Fusion - Manage BlackBerry iOS & Android Devices
    03-13-12 08:13 AM
    ok im having issues with activesync on my PB too ... ive got it connected to two exchange servers (my own and my companies) mine is exchange 2003 company is exchange 2007. my contacts and calender both sync fine on both accounts but the email does not on either. ive got BES-x on my home server system and my 9800 is connected to it and it works perfectly. my 9800 is connected to exchange 2007 @ work via IMAP due to IMAP having direct push unlike using OWA that has a 20 min delay. if it turn off email sync on my PB on either account and save settings and then re enable it the email updates to its current level but will not update new received or sent emails. im still integrating my PB into my life so its not a big deal at the moment but solution to this would be great. either that or RIM should get their butts working faster on getting BES support on the PB
    Hey Danbcrack were you ever able to resolve this I have the same issue
    03-14-13 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD