Hey guys,

I've bought the playbook on launch day, had it for 12 days then returned it because it did not fit my needs.

With the upcoming Staple BF deal, and I'm graduating college in 5 weeks. I'm looking to replace my laptop with it.

I'm thinking to pick two up( one for me, and one for my girlfriend as 3rd year anniversary present).

My question is:

Does the PB have a fully functional video chat app yet? I want to know if it supports skype/msn even yahoo video chat or not?

I did use the search button on the forum, but it gave me the old news from May, so I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jdaclutch; 11-09-11 at 06:26 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-09-11 06:20 PM
    Hey guys,

I've bought the playbook on launch day, had it for 12 days then returned it because it did not fit my needs.

With the Staple BF deals coming back, and I'm graduating college in 5 weeks. I'm looking to replace my laptop with it.

I'm thinking to pick two up( one for me, and one for my girlfriend as 3rd year anniversary present).

My question is:

Does the PB have a fully functional video chat app yet? I want to know if it supports skype/msn even yahoo video chat or not?

I did use the search button on the forum, but it gave me with the old news from May, so I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Thanks in advance.
    To answer ur question directly.... no we dont have any video apps like skype, MSN, ym yet.... we still do have the video chat that comes with the PB that one can use with another PB user.
    There is a new app thats called realportal... which provides videochat options, but its a round about way.. but it works.
    11-09-11 06:29 PM
    To answer ur question directly.... no we dont have any video apps like skype, MSN, ym yet.... we still do have the video chat that comes with the PB that one can use with another PB user.
    There is a new app thats called realportal... which provides videochat options, but its a round about way.. but it works.
    Thanks, I guess I will have to wait for pb 2. But for $199.. Temptation is killing me.
    11-09-11 07:04 PM
    Thanks, I guess I will have to wait for pb 2. But for $199.. Temptation is killing me.
    Well if you both have one...

The video chat app works perfectly. You even get missed calls in the notification bar.
    11-09-11 07:10 PM
    thats not true, there are a few apps to video chat with any computer aim AV by AOL - Let's video chat! also ecomm telco service for 20 bucks a year does video chat.
    11-09-11 07:10 PM
    Sorry Comwave is the telco app works great but aim works with iphone androids and macs and pc
    11-09-11 07:13 PM
    Ahh just cure your jones and buy one (or two) - there's lot's more to do than video chat ...the hardware is solid - doubt we will see changes anytime soon, and you will be ready for free updates -
    Be ready for the big February surprise

It will pay for itself in time money saved over the inconvenience of a laptop in the meantime. Remember, time = money!
    Plus, who can't use more time? Even if it is leisure time?

Looky here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-money-666325/
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-09-11 at 07:51 PM.
    11-09-11 07:41 PM
    What do you think "PB 2" will be, and when do you expect it?

I'd buy now... $199 is a bargain, and when the next major release of the OS comes out, which is what everyone here is referring to as "OS 2.0", you'll get it as a free over-the-air download without paying another dime.

Of course, you could wait... then later on pay more than $199 for the same hardware and the same OTA update to the 2.0 release.

Or you could wait even longer, to some as yet unmentioned and unguessable time, when there may be a new generation of the hardware... and still pay more.
    11-09-11 07:53 PM
    If both of you will have one, the native video chat app should be more than enough...

I am currently using the PB as my main device since my laptop died on me and although there are things I can't do with it (updatw my 9780's OS for one), I can do most of the stuff on it (even if a bit slower - like working on spreadsheets).

At 199 and being able to turn it back, I'd give it a try.
    11-09-11 08:00 PM
    Hey guys,

I've bought the playbook on launch day, had it for 12 days then returned it because it did not fit my needs...
    Nothing has really changed other than the price, so I'd consider that before you come back...
    adamman and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-09-11 08:14 PM
    don't wait for os 2.0 or you run the risk of being utterly disappointed. it may or may not come in february. it may or may not have the features that you want.

so, if you think that video chatting with your girlfriend is enough, get it now as the playbook does have a native video chat

if you want to chat with somebody who doesn't own a playbook or bb phone, then the playbook is not for you.

get something that meets your needs NOW. and blackjack is right. tablets in general are sometimes handy and can save you time. get the one you think will be most useful.

after all, you've got quite a few tablets to choose from.

again, don't wait for os 2.0.
    11-09-11 08:17 PM
    If both of you will have one, the native video chat app should be more than enough...

I am currently using the PB as my main device since my laptop died on me and although there are things I can't do with it (updatw my 9780's OS for one), I can do most of the stuff on it (even if a bit slower - like working on spreadsheets).

At 199 and being able to turn it back, I'd give it a try.
    Now why didn't you say that here?:

Sounds like you saved yourself the cost of a laptop.
    11-09-11 08:41 PM
    Now why didn't you say that here?:

Sounds like you saved yourself the cost of a laptop.
    I'm in Brasil. The PlayBook costed as much as a good laptop would have... :/ Understand the "waste money" bit now?

Oh well, I still have hopes RIM will not let us down on the long run.
    11-09-11 10:54 PM
    bought mine last week for €248, regretted it ever since, software won't install on my pc, blackberry support frankly useless. will dump this piece of trash tomorrow & save for an ipad
    11-10-11 08:27 PM
    bought mine last week for �248, regretted it ever since, software won't install on my pc, blackberry support frankly useless. will dump this piece of trash tomorrow & save for an ipad
    Your problem has never been reported beforeat least as far as I'm aware and I've dollwing this device since its release. No wonder the support folks think you're a bit of a nut. You either have a malfunctioning computer or are doing something wrong. Have you tried turning on your computer? In your case, that's where you should start your troubling shooting.
    11-10-11 08:41 PM
    bought mine last week for €248, regretted it ever since, software won't install on my pc, blackberry support frankly useless. will dump this piece of trash tomorrow & save for an ipad
    Wow too bad about your PB experience!! Perhaps posting it in the CB marketplace at a priced-to-sell-immediately will help in gathering the funds needed to get the tablet that works best for you.
    11-10-11 08:44 PM
    Sounds like PC or operator problem not a playbook problem. Did you try calling Microsoft?

I've had my playbook for 6 months, haven't even installed or used the desktop software - other than the old version for my phone.... nothing to back up since its all on my phone and everything else is done over the air. You can send that piece of trash to me.
    11-11-11 01:48 AM
    well, maybe worth to wait ... http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...nly-os-669138/
    11-11-11 04:53 AM
    Hey guys,

With the upcoming Staple BF deal, and I'm graduating college in 5 weeks. I'm looking to replace my laptop with it.

My question is:

I did use the search button on the forum, but it gave me the old news from May, so I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Thanks in advance.
    Very nice to hear that u after u returned 1 playbook, you are thinking of buying back 2 !!

Thats the way to go..

Playbook, even with its limitations it ROCKS!
    11-11-11 05:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD