Hey everyone, my first post here. I just started using the Playbook yesterday, and had a question in regards to battery life. I plugged it in immediately the day before yesterday, and was due to not being able to get a wi-fi connection in my room unable to install the OS. So after leaving it to charge for, say, 6 hours, I then yesterday took it to another room and installed it without the Playbook being plugged in.

After the installation, the battery was at around 80%, and as I started browsing the internet and such, I noticed that the percentage shown might be going down somewhat fast (or not, I don't know, that's basically why I made this topic). I haven't performed a thorough battery test, but I did loop that PlayBook HiDef Demo (the only movie available when you purchase the Playbook) for an hour on roughly 66% brightness and volume. The battery went from 63% to 47%, that is, 16% in an hour. I also left in it stand-by mode overnight, and in about 12 hours the battery went from 35% to 23%, that is, 12% in 12 hours (with wi-fi on).

So is this normal or is my battery draining too fast?

Also, does it matter at what percentage you charge your battery? Do you have to wait for it drop really low? Thanks in advance!
    01-06-12 10:10 AM
    Your stats are just fine.

The life of battery from day-to-day use depends on how you have your PB setup. To get the maximum run time, have the backlight set to the lowest as per your preference, make sure that the apps are set to stop when in background (not be running), and don't forget to quit all apps when you put your PB on standby.

Get the battery guru app from the app world, it will give you an output to monitor the battery health, temperature and a host of other parameters.

You battery will drain faster when you have multiple apps running, playing games, watching videos.
    Finally, we all use the PB in different ways, so its hard to get the same amount of runtime from a single charge across the board, but the above few strategies will give you the optimized battery use between charges.

Also during your first few uses, charge the battery to 100% and then let it drain until it completely shuts off. You can do this a couple of times, as it helps to calibrate the battery for better efficiency.

Welcome to the CB and enjoy your PB to the fullest
    Last edited by anindoc; 01-06-12 at 10:47 AM.
    EmperorRyker likes this.
    01-06-12 10:42 AM
    Welcome to the forum. There are lots of threads on the topic of battery health in the forum. The author of an app called "Batery Guru" often participates in these threads and provides a lot of information that might soothe your anxiety.

Here' a thread to get your started:
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http://f...u2Jqq_qUgU6JPQ

In addition, you may want to have a look at the following thread with lots of hints, tricks, caveats and useful tips.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-know-671764/
    EmperorRyker likes this.
    01-06-12 11:32 AM
    Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Your stats are just fine.
    That is good to hear.

The life of battery from day-to-day use depends on how you have your PB setup. To get the maximum run time, have the backlight set to the lowest as per your preference, make sure that the apps are set to stop when in background (not be running), and don't forget to quit all apps when you put your PB on standby.
    I definitely intend on doing that, but for the time being I was just concerned with how the battery should perform with these settings.

Get the battery guru app from the app world, it will give you an output to monitor the battery health, temperature and a host of other parameters.
    I'll look more into that, although I see the app isn't free, which is kind of a downer.
    Also during your first few uses, charge the battery to 100% and then let it drain until it completely shuts off. You can do this a couple of times, as it helps to calibrate the battery for better efficiency.
    So it's safe to use it for so long that it completely shuts off then?

Welcome to the CB and enjoy your PB to the fullest
    Thanks, will do
    01-06-12 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD