I've run my own business now for 27 years and have found myself in exactly the same position that Heins and co find themselves in now at least once in my career so I completely empathise with them. Pretty much anyone who's called them out as liars or cheats have absolutely no understanding how a business works, or how developments of ideas can sometimes go awry. I'm pretty sure the usual trolls in this matter will slam what I've said but if they gave it even a modicum of thought rather than the knee jerk reactions that have been so prevalent recently it might actually make sense.

Anyhow, back to the PlayBook, I've used mine hard, I can't even tell you how many countries its travelled to or how many presentations its, well, presented in its 2.5 years +/- of existence. The camera no longer works and it no longer sends email but it does things that no other tablets can do. I do lots of PPT and Video presentations every week and having a tablet that can be hooked directly to a projector or monitor is a godsend. The crux though is that no other tablet has a remote function let alone remote via phone. I can also edit via my phone either live in the presentation or back at the hotel on the TV and also use the PlayBook as a fancy chalkboard while hashing out ideas in a meeting. When my PlayBook eventually dies there's not another tablet that I could replace it with, I would have to go back to a laptop, something that I'm not looking forward to.
    07-06-13 08:44 AM
    It is more than "functionally" thing that the majority are whinning about... it is the "principle" of trusting the company for something they promised to deliver but never really intend to fulfill it...

With those "my PB works fine and still meet my needs even without BB10 so I'm OK" remarks... it is like telling to a company, "hey, it is OK to fool us"... and defending them for being unprofessional is like asking them to fool us again... remember, it is your hard earned money that you spent to it... again, it is not all bout the "functionality" thing but the principle of being honest to customers...

Posted via Z10
    07-06-13 09:06 AM
    And you KNOW they had no intention of releasing BB10 on the PlayBook how exactly? This is the thing that bothers me. These sorts of things happen in industry all the time, an idea is formulated and eventually developed. Most of the time the decision to axe a project is made at the very last minute and this is precisely what happened in this case. I know that for a fact; BlackBerry had got to a point in development that BB10 was too dumbed down to work on the PlayBook that it would have been a useless update. If BlackBerry's guilty of anything it was being too open too early in the development process. I'm fed up with all these "I'm let down" posts, grow up people! If I let myself get so upset everyone a company changed direction I would have topped myself years ago. Think switching to Samsung or Apple is any better? Think again, history hears out the fact it's far, far worse. As it stands, the over all reactions I see on CrackBerry are naive, selfish and cloying without any understanding how a corporation works nor without any understanding sh1te happens. You think BlackBerry lied to everyone is such a public manner? Give me a break.
    07-06-13 09:25 AM
    I've run my own business now for 27 years and have found myself in exactly the same position that Heins and co find themselves in now at least once in my career so I completely empathise with them. Pretty much anyone who's called them out as liars or cheats have absolutely no understanding how a business works, or how developments of ideas can sometimes go awry. I'm pretty sure the usual trolls in this matter will slam what I've said but if they gave it even a modicum of thought rather than the knee jerk reactions that have been so prevalent recently it might actually make sense.

Anyhow, back to the PlayBook, I've used mine hard, I can't even tell you how many countries its travelled to or how many presentations its, well, presented in its 2.5 years +/- of existence. The camera no longer works and it no longer sends email but it does things that no other tablets can do. I do lots of PPT and Video presentations every week and having a tablet that can be hooked directly to a projector or monitor is a godsend. The crux though is that no other tablet has a remote function let alone remote via phone. I can also edit via my phone either live in the presentation or back at the hotel on the TV and also use the PlayBook as a fancy chalkboard while hashing out ideas in a meeting. When my PlayBook eventually dies there's not another tablet that I could replace it with, I would have to go back to a laptop, something that I'm not looking forward to.
    I was going to bypass this so please please forgive me but I got so confused that I couldn't help myself. The first part of your statement is contradicted by the second part of your statement if I read it correctly?

Your first statement declares an understanding of RIM's predicament as to the development of ideas that go wrong! Firstly the pb was not an idea it is a functional device that RIM has actively sold in the marketplace so it has ceased to be an idea in some designers head and become reality.

Secondly, the pb can't have failed because in your second statement you praise the usefulness of the playbook in past and present tense, so it must still be a viable device for your business uses so therefore there is no requirement for you to return to the use of a laptop.

In summary, and please remember this is only a sad old man's opinion who knows absolutely nothing about "understanding how a business works", what your actually saying is that you fully understand a CEOs decision to mothball a perfectly functional device and that you've made a similar decision in the past.

In my basic world, if a product gets past the "idea" stage and consumes that much of the companies financial capital in marketing and support, to then at the point where it could be successful it is scrapped leaving a great deal of loyal customers very upset and concerned about the future, then that only means two things and two things only! The CEO is either totally incompetent, or he has a hidden agenda that he is not prepared to disclose to the public! If it's the first, then he should be replaced! If it is the latter, then he should replaced!.

My pb works perfectly for me and a lot of other members and I use it more than our so called leaders "vision of the future" BB10 device.

ps congratulations on running your own business for 27yrs but I don't think it's a good idea to address the members of this forum in your opening paragraph with your comment

"Pretty much anyone who's called them out as liars or cheats have absolutely no understanding how a business works".
    07-06-13 09:35 AM
    the only thing I use my pb for now is reading books and watching videos on the go. Occasionally I will play a few games like angry birds and dungeon hunters.

internet browsing is a no go for me anymore as its just too laggy and inconsistent.

the combo of pb and my lumia meets all my social/media/work needs between them so I will keep using it for the time being.
    07-06-13 09:45 AM
    I was going to bypass this so please please forgive me but I got so confused that I couldn't help myself. The first part of your statement is contradicted by the second part of your statement if I read it correctly?

Your first statement declares an understanding of RIM's predicament as to the development of ideas that go wrong! Firstly the pb was not an idea it is a functional device that RIM has actively sold in the marketplace so it has ceased to be an idea in some designers head and become reality.

Secondly, the pb can't have failed because in your second statement you praise the usefulness of the playbook in past and present tense, so it must still be a viable device for your business uses so therefore there is no requirement for you to return to the use of a laptop.

In summary, and please remember this is only a sad old man's opinion who knows absolutely nothing about "understanding how a business works", what your actually saying is that you fully understand a CEOs decision to mothball a perfectly functional device and that you've made a similar decision in the past.

In my basic world, if a product gets past the "idea" stage and consumes that much of the companies financial capital in marketing and support, to then at the point where it could be successful it is scrapped leaving a great deal of loyal customers very upset and concerned about the future, then that only means two things and two things only! The CEO is either totally incompetent, or he has a hidden agenda that he is not prepared to disclose to the public! If it's the first, then he should be replaced! If it is the latter, then he should replaced!.

My pb works perfectly for me and a lot of other members and I use it more than our so called leaders "vision of the future" BB10 device.

ps congratulations on running your own business for 27yrs but I don't think it's a good idea to address the members of this forum in your opening paragraph with your comment

"Pretty much anyone who's called them out as liars or cheats have absolutely no understanding how a business works".
    I have been addressed far worse recently, not only do I see that statement to be fact, it was deliberately worded not to be as offensive as what I was originally going to write. Trust me, I was being quite restrained

My original post was divided up into 2 separate topics, either of which may or may not wholly exclude each other outside of being about the PlayBook. The first part is about my disappointment with what I consider ill informed comments on CrackBerry regarding what's turned into the Great BB10/PlayBook Debacle of 2013. To me, it seems that most comments started out as knee jerk reactions then had festered into something much worse. Reading these comments with my "businessman's" glasses on I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I wasn't going to post anything at all about the subject but someone started the "Thor's a liar" chant again a few posts back.

As to the second part of the post, that was purely in keeping with the OP's intention of the thread. I won't be able to replace my PlayBook when dies and expect the same functionality.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-06-13 10:01 AM
    I have been addressed far worse recently, not only do I see that statement to be fact, it was deliberately worded not to be as offensive as what I was originally going to write. Trust me, I was being quite restrained

My original post was divided up into 2 separate topics, either of which may or may not wholly exclude each other outside of being about the PlayBook. The first part is about my disappointment with what I consider ill informed comments on CrackBerry regarding what's turned into the Great BB10/PlayBook Debacle of 2013. To me, it seems that most comments started out as knee jerk reactions then had festered into something much worse. Reading these comments with my "businessman's" glasses on I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I wasn't going to post anything at all about the subject but someone started the "Thor's a liar" chant again a few posts back.

As to the second part of the post, that was purely in keeping with the OP's intention of the thread. I won't be able to replace my PlayBook when dies and expect the same functionality.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
    Trust me, so was I!!!!!!
    07-06-13 11:37 AM
    I use my Z10 for almost everything now, so my PlayBook fulfills my new needs. As far as I'll concerned, the PB is a much better media device than my iPad touch. I have several of my favorite movies on it to watch while I'm in bed or I can hook it up to my TV. The speakers are wonderful, so I put it in the charging stand and listen to my music collection while I am at work. The Relax Book app is the best relaxation app I have ever found on any platform, I use it as I fall asleep each night and even sometimes at lunch to relax if I am having a stressful day.

I don't play many games, but I love word search games, and the best one avaliable is on the PB.

My PB is 64 gb, so I have plenty of space to use for journaling. There are SO many things to do with it.

Yes, I am very sorry that we will not get BB10, but there is nothing I can do about it. I have other things I can worry about if I want to be upset. So for me at this point, my Z10 is my primary tool, my PB is used very frequently for specific tasks, and I have a ipad mini for browsing at home and for a few things I cannot get on the PB.

It works for me, but I would love to be able to bridge to my Z10 with an updated browser that does not checkerboard! :-)

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-06-13 12:46 PM
    I use my Z10 for almost everything now, so my PlayBook fulfills my new needs. As far as I'll concerned, the PB is a much better media device than my iPad touch. I have several of my favorite movies on it to watch while I'm in bed or I can hook it up to my TV. The speakers are wonderful, so I put it in the charging stand and listen to my music collection while I am at work. The Relax Book app is the best relaxation app I have ever found on any platform, I use it as I fall asleep each night and even sometimes at lunch to relax if I am having a stressful day.

I don't play many games, but I love word search games, and the best one avaliable is on the PB.

My PB is 64 gb, so I have plenty of space to use for journaling. There are SO many things to do with it.

Yes, I am very sorry that we will not get BB10, but there is nothing I can do about it. I have other things I can worry about if I want to be upset. So for me at this point, my Z10 is my primary tool, my PB is used very frequently for specific tasks, and I have a ipad mini for browsing at home and for a few things I cannot get on the PB.

It works for me, but I would love to be able to bridge to my Z10 with an updated browser that does not checkerboard! :-)

Posted via CB10
    Well said. I would just like my Z10 to bridge properly instead of having to go out and buy a 9900 to do it with!!!!!!!!
    EchoesFX, bob_tn and Elphie123 like this.
    07-06-13 01:23 PM
    I also agree yes the PB still meet my needs even as I sit here reading this forum and responding. Many times I have sat here reading through the different post and then I think back to the days before the PB was released. Some of us had only a phone and big bulky laptops for mobile use. I personally am not a fan of ipad and had tried a couple other tablets prior to my PB purchase and to me even to this day the PB has been the best.

Yes I do have to agree it is disappointing that some of the bridge functionality has been taken away and also yes the native browser could be better. As for not getting this and that app, I have downloaded a couple of apps which I may use for a while and then forget about them. I have managed to still get my email via the PB and also found a great working browser in addition to being able to use the bridge and sharing function with my Z10. Overall until the day comes that either my PB stops providing what I need or something better comes along I will continue to use it. I am on the road alot and my day starts with checking email on the Z10 and PB then if I need to access a website I do it via the PB. I have a great laptop but needs a battery and I have a desktop PC but for many things the PB has been easier to use. Yes I know many will say other tablets can do the same but I will be BlackBerry til the end.
    07-07-13 10:26 AM
    Re meeting needs. Mine are very simple. Browsing, selling stuff on ebay, managing several email addresses, Skyping the family.

Does a **** poor job of most of them and can't do the last. Lack of the update makes that a permanent feature.

OP, your tech needs must be easily satisfied.
    07-07-13 10:51 AM
    Re meeting needs. Mine are very simple. Browsing, selling stuff on ebay, managing several email addresses, Skyping the family.

Does a **** poor job of most of them and can't do the last. Lack of the update makes that a permanent feature.

OP, your tech needs must be easily satisfied.
    Very easily solved! Buy a DROID tablet? The thread is concerned with what it does not what it doesn't do?. BlackBerry have never had Skype until bb10, so knowing that, why buy it?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 11:41 AM
    My playbook still goes to work with me everyday and still makes me more productive!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-07-13 02:52 PM
    Very easily solved! Buy a DROID tablet? The thread is concerned with what it does not what it doesn't do?. BlackBerry have never had Skype until bb10, so knowing that, why buy it?

Posted via CB10
    The thread is concerned with Playbook meeting needs even without BB10. It doesn't serve my needs, so I am commenting on the thread.
    How many people "Know that" when they buy a tablet? How much research can you do in a couple of days? I bought it to video chat with my son's Playbook, who has since gone eye-pad because his Playbook bit the dust after 6 months Also there's a Skype sideload with a zillion downloads from Goodereader so when sideloading came in with 2.0 it looked like salvation. THEN you find out Skype doesn't work because the sodding android player won't talk to the mic and the video - bucking frilliant!. . But wait, Mr 57 varieties promises BB10 which will solve our problems. Then he doesn't. Promises, Promises, what's a girl to do?

Don't have a go at me. It's those prats at Blackberry who drip feed the bad news when it's too late.
    07-07-13 03:12 PM
39 12