I was just reading the Earnings Call transcript and found this exerpt below.

"...Let me also make some comments on Playbook. Our teams have spent a great deal of time and energy looking at solutions that could move the BlackBerry 10 experience to Playbook. But unfortunately, I am not satisfied with the level of performance and user experience, and I made the difficult decision to stop these efforts and focus on our core hardware portfolio. We will, however, support Playbook on the existing software platforms and configurations."

So even though there's no BB10 update, it does not mean they will stop supporting the current software running on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    rayz336 and Tim1131 like this.
    07-02-13 03:21 PM
    Doesn't mean much. The platform is 100% dead according to developers perspective and they won't do any major updates on the OS or applications.

They might update the flash version and things like that, which qualifies as support...
    T-Pad likes this.
    07-02-13 03:27 PM

"...Let me also make some comments on Playbook. Our teams have spent a great deal of time and energy looking at solutions that could move the BlackBerry 10 experience to Playbook. But unfortunately, I am not satisfied with the level of performance and user experience, and I made the difficult decision to stop these efforts and focus on our core hardware portfolio. We will, however, support Playbook on the existing software platforms and configurations."

So even though there's no BB10 update, it does not mean they will stop supporting the current software running on the PlayBook.

Papped said it most accurately. Developers just saw Thorsten say the playbook is at the finish line and they will cease spending resources developing for it because of that comment.

Why would they? Tablets are coming out now with superior hardware and full app support (whether it be android or iOS) and have native features the playbook doesn't (wifi printing, apps like Skype, etc) for the same price as the playbook. A no brainer.

No, it's deader than a doorknob now. The community is partially to blame for giving blackberry a free ride (too many people dismissing its shortcomings by saying "I didnt want that Anyway") and blackberry is to blame for just flat out not trying. Too many trips to the water cooler and smoke breaks and long lunches instead of staying in the cubicle and developing software.

Drop it in the ground, cover it with dirt and lay a single red rose on the spot. Game over.
    07-02-13 03:52 PM
    Previously developers were ceasing tablet OS development because it's a dead end, waiting for BB10 to hit the Pb so they could use the same apps as the BB10 phone apps. That got killed, so inherently the tablet is done...
    07-02-13 04:00 PM
    Previously developers were ceasing tablet OS development because it's a dead end, waiting for BB10 to hit the Pb so they could use the same apps as the BB10 phone apps. That got killed, so inherently the tablet is done...
    Never before have I seen a company shoot itself in the foot as bad as blackberry. Suffice it to say, it would be like coke-a-cola punching holes in all their cans and expecting to sell the product, empty.

When OS 7 came out development was squelched because all the programmers ever heard was "Bb10 is the new thing and OS 7 is dead."

Now Thorsten announces the playbook is dead and they are releasing another OS 7 device (!!!!!!!!!). All trust I may have had in the new leadership is gone.

I have some consolation in the fact that I knew this was coming shortly after launch and I have my self respect after over two years of Fanboys shouting "Shut up, they know what they are doing, the playbook won't be abandoned and they will make it a hit" at me. No, I don't have egg all over my face.

Now let's move forward with another warning. BlackBerry needs to polish up and fix the Bb10 line or the same fate awaits It. I wish them luck, after burning so many customers and developers, getting anybody to buy them or develop for them now.
    Zodbuster likes this.
    07-02-13 04:39 PM
    ^^Not sure what Thor is drinking for reviving something they did not commit (OS7) and obviously replaced with new OS and ditch the one they promised to deliver (BB10 on PlayBook)... but whatever it is, he should stop drinking it...

"Let me also make some comments on Playbook. Our teams have spent a great deal of time and energy looking at solutions that could move the BlackBerry 10 experience to Playbook. But unfortunately, I am not satisfied with the level of performance and user experience, and I made the difficult decision to stop these efforts and focus on our core hardware portfolio. We will, however, support Playbook on the existing software platforms and configurations."
    If Thor will stop drinking what he is drinking, he will realize that either he can replace those programmers with competitive ones... or add resources that will focus on its development... and who knows, if it'll become successful (which has high possibility, as long there is commitment on it), he will change also his perspective that tablet will never be dead within 5 years - simply because, BlackBerry will make it more popular, usable and better user experience...

Posted via Z10
    07-02-13 09:14 PM

And fairy's and rainbows and unicorns. Holy **** is this a fanboi sight. Go read the wall street journal.
    look_alive likes this.
    07-02-13 09:26 PM
    PalmBerry. Good bye Blackberry
    Zodbuster likes this.
    07-02-13 09:27 PM
    I think that the promise of BB10 on the PlayBook was just to clean out as much inventory as possible then they were going to pull the plug when they were satisfied with their paycheck
    07-02-13 10:41 PM
    All I can think to add is Sheesh.
    07-02-13 10:53 PM
    Not really sure how much clearer I could have made it, but I guess people believe what they want...

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 11:16 PM
    I fully agree, e.g. Sparkle 2 has been even released for webOS, but not for the PlayBook.
    07-03-13 02:19 AM