ok so i am big on fantasy sports and enjoy watching espn videos and clips directly from my playbook. I just noticed today that i can no longer watch any espn videos from the site unless its videos from the mobile site which o care nothing about. If i go to play a video i get the "unauthorized to play on this device" message or however it goes. wtf gives? playbook is supposed to play flash videos with ease. Thats what puts it ahead of the ipad. Now all of a sudden i cant watch videos on one of my favorite sites. oh and i cant go to the regular site either anymore. it takes me to the mobile view no matter what. anyone know what the problem is? are sites going to just start blocking the broswer? i dont get it
    07-15-11 02:14 AM
    Im taken to a very nice tablet version of ESPN when I visit from my PB, and the video works great. But i see what ur talking about. if u click 'espn.com" in the footer of the webpage to see the full site, it does take u to the full site, and u cannot play the video

FYI: ESPN3.com works well too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sf18443; 07-15-11 at 02:40 AM.
    07-15-11 02:34 AM
    it gives you the same message hulu gives you. Do you think its a blackberry playbook browser thing or something to do with internet sites blocking streams from the playbook
    07-15-11 02:48 AM
    The PB cannot control the outcome of how websites load, this particular change is something instigated by ESPN, who it seems have decided to force PB users to view the ESPN content via their mobile site rather than the normal site.
    There is nothing PB can do about this, maybe in the future there will be an option to have Firefox, Opera etc as browsers on the PB which should eliminate this problem.
    07-15-11 05:04 AM
    Thats what puts it ahead of the ipad.
    The video's on espn.com play fine on the iPad 2, and no it's not their mobile site. The iPhone shows the mobile site, but you get the full website with videos on the iPad 2. I scroll to the bottom of the site, tap videos and tap Highlights or Most Recent, they all play fine.

So much for the "full web" experience on the Playbook.
    07-15-11 07:06 AM
    The PB does access the full web. How a particular web site decides to run their own affairs doesn't alter that fact.
    07-15-11 07:16 AM
    espn3 still works. Been watching live British Open and World Cup. If you are a fantasy nut, like me, try mlb.com for live games. it is not free though.
    07-15-11 07:18 AM
    The PB does access the full web. How a particular web site decides to run their own affairs doesn't alter that fact.
    How's the NetFlix website treating you? That's what I thought. I can't get the "full web" on my Playbook, I'm glad you can.
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-15-11 07:19 AM
    Must be something real bad about the playbook if all these sites are blocking it, what's up with that?
    07-15-11 07:19 AM
    Must be something real bad about the playbook if all these sites are blocking it, what's up with that?
    It's not blocked I just used espn.com 5 minutes ago. The only difference is you get directed to their HTML 5 site. This is a different site compared to your iphone or blackberry.
    07-15-11 07:25 AM
    I just checked out ESPN and was able to watch all the videos on my PB.

I have seen the service denial on some other site but I was good to go at least for today. I don't really watch that outlet much though.

Edit: It was the mobile site I was directed to. Big meh = non issue.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 07-15-11 at 07:30 AM.
    07-15-11 07:26 AM
    its not just the PB, its mobile devices in general. Many sites block content whether its a PB, iPhone or a transformer. doesnt matter its all considered mobile. That is why you have apps for some things. it allows for "premium" content consuption
    Last edited by howarmat; 07-15-11 at 07:34 AM.
    07-15-11 07:30 AM
    The video's on espn.com play fine on the iPad 2, and no it's not their mobile site. The iPhone shows the mobile site, but you get the full website with videos on the iPad 2. I scroll to the bottom of the site, tap videos and tap Highlights or Most Recent, they all play fine.

So much for the "full web" experience on the Playbook.
    Right - because web sites intentionally blocking content from specific platforms is RIM's fault.

Just like Hulu did the same thing - which now I will never visit again. I was actually contemplating purchasing a subscription but not now.
    07-15-11 07:45 AM
    Right - because web sites intentionally blocking content from specific platforms is RIM's fault.

Just like Hulu did the same thing - which now I will never visit again. I was actually contemplating purchasing a subscription but not now.
    It's no secret that RIM's marketing of "full web" means flash. And you're right, it's not RIM's fault if a company is specifically blocking the playbook.

The majority of people think that flash is the be all and end all of the Playbook web experience. "We can go to flash sites, and iPad's can't" It simply doesn't hold much water. When I can go to the top websites in the world on an iPad and a Playbook, there is no advantage for the Playbook.

As far as sports sites are concerned, I can go to all the major websites, and see all the content on a iPad, and even watch the video's. Flash isn't an issue. I know some people will talk about their favorite sports sites that are all flash, which may or may not be providing legal streaming content. That's fine enjoy. But when

mlb.com, nhl.com, tsn.ca, sportsnet.ca, espn.com, youtube.com, amazon.ca

all work fine on the iPad and NOT using a mobile website. The definition of "full web" is marketing it's that simple.
    07-15-11 08:14 AM
    Good thing your not a 8 year old girl. To my 8 year old daughter the full web is almost nothing but flash game sites. Her favorite being webkinz. One day she had a webkinz party to go to. The same day we had planned a trip to go to a state park nearby. Well using nothing but the PlayBook and it's Bridge browser she was able to set at a table, eat lunch with the family, log in, join the party, play all of the games her little friends were playing and was even able to voice chat with all of them. She stayed till the very end of the party. No lag, no wifi, no PC not even a tethering charge. On an ipad you can't do that.

The term "full web" is very personal. It all depends on your personal use. For her she can use her entire full web on the PB. On her grandmother's ipad her full web is almost nothing but blue lego blocks. Even after installing a flash work around browser on the ipad webkinz runs very choppy, almost slide show slow and voice chat wont work. So even using a browser that makes Steve cry at night can't give her what she considers the full web.
    Last edited by Witmen; 07-15-11 at 09:08 AM.
    07-15-11 09:06 AM
    Why is this even a debate espn is NOT blocking any mobile platform. Apple, Android, Blackberry they all work.

The OP probably tried to access an espn insider video and he does not pay for espn insider account.
    07-15-11 09:14 AM

The majority of people think that flash is the be all and end all of the Playbook web experience. "We can go to flash sites, and iPad's can't" It simply doesn't hold much water. When I can go to the top websites in the world on an iPad and a Playbook, there is no advantage for the Playbook.
    It does hold water - just not with you. I like to watch TV shows on the television network web sites so flash is important to me. Let me ask you this - would you use a web browser that didnt support flash?
    07-15-11 09:15 AM
    Apparently the PlayBook doesn't access the full web either according to some here if the web site is blocking the PB. Doesn't matter if they took steps to block it, someone could turn around and say they built it in flash so they took steps to block iOS devices.
    Right - not programming a device to recognize a common and widely used browser add on is the same as intentionally blocking web content based on the type of browser.
    07-15-11 09:51 AM

RIM Seeks Hulu Access for PlayBook Users - Nat Worden - News - AllThingsD

Suspect if you have apple ipad you wont have to pay yeah!?
    07-15-11 09:52 AM
    What I also find interesting about the hulu website is how the error says

'trying to access via your blackberry browser, this device is not supported'

Since when has a browser been a device! what a bunch of idiots
    07-15-11 09:57 AM
    RIM Seeks Hulu Access for PlayBook Users - Nat Worden - News - AllThingsD

Suspect if you have apple ipad you wont have to pay yeah!?
    Actually - I believe because the itoys cant play flash you have to download a separate hulu plus app. Hulu plus has a subscription fee.
    07-15-11 10:29 AM
    Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MLB.com: Multimedia From here you can sign up for live games. Been watching for months.
    07-15-11 10:58 AM
    Because its a BB fan site?
    So there is no room for Apple fans that are also BlackBerry fans?
    07-15-11 12:00 PM
    Oh wow, that's to bad espn decided to stick it to playbook owners and give us the mobile site. I personally don't use the espn site often and don't find the mobile site bad at all. ESPN Deportes it the site I use and it appears to still be functioning at its full potential.
    07-15-11 12:01 PM
    Oh wow, that's to bad espn decided to stick it to playbook owners and give us the mobile site. I personally don't use the espn site often and don't find the mobile site bad at all. ESPN Deportes it the site I use and it appears to still be functioning at its full potential.
    Ugggg the playbook browser does not go to the mobile site. It is a re-designed HTML 5 site and actually works better than the full site on a tablet.
    07-15-11 12:15 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD