Grabbed the PB this morning to catch some of the late night game highlights and all Flash video now shows an error

"Content Unavailable"

This video is not authorized for playback on this device.

I think this is a total BS move by ESPN and there should be someone looking into this. I validated Flash content works on my other bookmarks and checked my PC and the ESPN video is still Flash based.

RIM needs to provide a way to change the browser agent or play hardball themselves. This reeks more considering ESPN basically ignoring a growing Playbook population.

Just venting.
    12-29-11 10:39 AM
    why not use a 3rd party site to watch espn?
    its what i do in Canada.
    12-29-11 10:50 AM
    this problem is also prevalent for sites like bloomberg and NYtimes.
    Fubaz what app are you using to workaround this issue. Thanks.
    12-29-11 11:23 AM
    Can you watch it using Simple Browser with Firefox enabled?
    12-29-11 12:08 PM
    .RIM needs to provide a way to change the browser agent or play hardball themselves. This reeks more considering ESPN basically ignoring a growing Playbook population.

Just venting.
    ESPN isn't hurting for advertisers, and PlayBook sales are literally a sliver of tablets overall, so how exactly would RIM play "hardball" with ESPN? Harsh language?
    12-29-11 12:22 PM
    What exactly are these content providers (ie. ESPN, NYTimes, etc) motivation to limit a user's experience based on which device they are using? I can confirm that the ESPN video is "blocked" on the browser, but I did get it to play on Simple Browser, although it wouldn't play in fullscreen when put to fullscreen mode and it effectively stalls the browser because I can't get out of fullscreen mode so I have to restart the app.

This trend of blocking content is a disturbing trend and I'd like to see how BB will address this going forward and into OS2 in Feb.
    12-29-11 01:11 PM
    Also...I've been trying to get youtube.com/movies to play on my playbook after seeing reports in May that rentals work on the Playbook. I have simplebrowser plus and it still won't load the videos. Any insights?
    12-29-11 01:31 PM
    i think this has to do with the browser agent. espn sees pb browser as safari assumes u are viewing from ipad - no flash.

there's a "tablet version" button next to espn logo (home button) that will take u to html5 page and u can see vids from there.

rim really needs to fix this.
    12-29-11 01:38 PM
    i think this has to do with the browser agent. espn sees pb browser as safari assumes u are viewing from ipad - no flash.
    Yes, but on the iPad they just show you the compatible videos instead. iPad and iPhone users don't have to think about it.

ESPN (or whomever does this stuff for Disney) should be able to fix this for Playbook easily.
    12-29-11 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD