Just bought a Playbook 32G and love it so far.(best $118.00 ever spent...!)
    I am unable to play the movies i have on my NAS server.I can browse to all my folders but when i try to play any movies(.avi of course cause i know it cant play .MKV) i get a message "action not supported"
    I can watch my pictures located on that same NAS but unable to play any .avi.
    What am i doing wrong?
    Is there a better way to play the movies located on my NAS?

Thanks.
    09-22-12 05:00 PM
    Just bought a Playbook 32G and love it so far.(best $118.00 ever spent...!)
    I am unable to play the movies i have on my NAS server.I can browse to all my folders but when i try to play any movies(.avi of course cause i know it cant play .MKV) i get a message "action not supported"
    I can watch my pictures located on that same NAS but unable to play any .avi.
    What am i doing wrong?
    Is there a better way to play the movies located on my NAS?

Thanks.
    The PlayBook plays mkv files. It will not play an ac3 audio files. But I have played a avi video with an ac3 file, but there is no sound.
    09-22-12 05:07 PM
    Good thing to know, i wasnt aware it could play MKV without AC3.

Any other way to play avi files located on NAS server?
    09-22-12 05:40 PM
    Any taker??
    09-22-12 06:57 PM
    Negative.....as far as I know, no native apps avail to stream off a NAS. I once found an Android app and side loaded it which worked great but I lost the .bar file and can't find it on the net anywhere.. I think it was callex AndSMB. If you find it anywhere, please let me know. Thanks
    09-22-12 07:46 PM
    Making some progress here.It looks like DsFile and DsAudio would allow connecting to Synology NAS and stream videos in most format.
    I installed DsFile 2.0.044 but it loads with errors, anyone have a working DsFile and DsAudio version working on DSM 4.1 Synology?

Thanks.
    09-22-12 07:57 PM
    Neteng1000,
    I just found the app you were talking about and just installed it.
    Where you able to stream directly from the NAS to the PB?
    For me it looks like if you have to download your movie to the PB in order to play it.

Not what i'm looking, i'm still puzzled as how come i cant play a movie from the NAS directly.It doesnt make sense to me...

Samba/CIFS Android client - AndSMB
    09-22-12 08:52 PM
    Don't know about NAS servers, but trying to stream avi or mkv files on my PC with ES File Explorer results in error messages, I can, however, stream MP4 files on my PC with ES. You might try loading an MP4 on your NAS and see if that works.
    09-22-12 09:01 PM
    yeah I found that link but the bar file is corrupted. Did you have any issues downloading it? Now that you mention it, it was not off my NAS but off of a sbare on my PC. And yes, I was able to stream. I have since installed a NAS but it should be able to do the same. Were you able to sideload the .bar?
    09-22-12 09:01 PM
    I don't know of any that work of a NAS box but LAN file explorer works of a PC server well enough.

Jon
    09-22-12 09:08 PM
    The file is not corrupted, just right click and do a "save as".It will install flawlessly using DDPB.

Pacoman03; Reason for that is that i'm able to stream all my movies from my NAS to all my devices except for my Playbook.
    I find it hard to believe that no one was able to stream movies on Playbook from a NAS server...

Someone must have the answer....!
    09-22-12 09:13 PM
    You need to install software on your PC for LAN File Explorer. I was able to stream using AndSMB off my PC with no special software. I assume it would be no different streaming off a NAS.
    09-22-12 09:18 PM
    Not working for me...
    Let me know if you find a way to stream from your NAS once you installed AndSMB.

Thanks.
    09-22-12 09:22 PM
    @guber

My mistake. It wasn't AndSMB after all. It was ES File Explorer. I just side loaded it now and it works fine. I don't think it plays all formats. Works fine with MP4 but crashing on the other formats. Give it a try.

Side load the app, change view from local to LAN (top left corner). Then hit the + New button top second from end and enter your IP and creds. Let me know how it goes.
    09-22-12 10:35 PM
    Got .wmv working also. Hold down video till you are prompted with a menu. Select open as, then video, then chose the default video player.
    09-22-12 10:56 PM
    That's the first program it tried.I can browse ans see all the folders/files i have on my NAS but as soon as i click on one of my movies(.avi or .mkv) i get a message saying "Action not supported".

Could you try opening one of those files and tell me if you get the same result.

Thanks.
    09-22-12 11:51 PM
    I didnt know the "open as" trick by holding the video.It works with one of the two players.

Do you know if there's a way to link a type of file like .avi or .mkv to automatically open with the player of my choice without having to go to "open as" everytime?

Good to see there's a way to stream video without having to download a movie everytime...

Thanks,
    09-23-12 12:00 AM
    Nope don't know of any other way of doing it. I can live with this method if I have no other choice. Hope for some native software when BB10 is released.
    09-23-12 08:55 AM
    It works almost like i would like it to, just cant set the default player in ES File explorer but there must be a way.Will do some digging in Estrong forum and let you know my findings.
    09-23-12 02:40 PM
    I don't think you can set a default player. The only way to get around the "open with" screen is to only have one app associated with the type of file you want to open. Since ES has its own integrated media player and it also sees the PB native Videos player, which can't be deleted, there is no way to do this. What's the big deal, it's only one extra tap to open a vid.
    09-23-12 02:59 PM
    Is there a free or paid for app that anyone can recommend to simply play .avi video files locally on the Playbook. I've found copying a video file onto the Playbook itself to be a reliable source to then connect to our receiver via HDMI to playback movies - the key problem is the limited range of proprietary video formats that the Playbook will play by default.

Although this thread is about more complex streaming from a NAS, has anyone used a good (free) app that will play most movie formats locally on their Playbook?

Many thanks
    01-24-14 03:48 PM
    MVideoPlayer (sideload) Is what you're looking for.
    01-24-14 07:17 PM
    MVideoPlayer (sideload) Is what you're looking for.
    Nah, mVideo Player won't play any formats that the native Video Player won't play. Other than a couple of players that will support flash (flv) video, which the native player doesn't support, the only player that will play other formats not supported by Videos is Kalemsoft- and it's not free.
    01-24-14 08:03 PM
    Kalemsoft will do. Its a great app
    01-24-14 09:30 PM
    agee on kalemsoft. so far has played avi, mkv, rmvb from my synology nas.
    but I think the format supported also depends on the upnp implementation on your nas, some files don't work on my dlink nas.
    sometimes has a bit of lag and soundtrack can get a bit out of sync, but that might be due to wifi bandwidth.
    01-25-14 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD