Greeting,

I have a batch of old playbooks which having the stack charging issue, but I found that I can update the OS to the newest version (2.1.0.1917) via Blackberry Desktop Manager, then the charging algorithm will be changed to the updated one and go over this dead battery issue. I was able to do so successfully in the past week smoothly on several devices.

But since this Monday, the Desktop Manager is saying "An updated Blackberry Desktop Software component must be installed before you can continue" when downloading the Desktop software and will appear "There was an error updating your software, an error has occurred while downloading the Blackberry Desktop Software.Please try again." and preventing the process. Seems there are some change on the server side starting this week which has caused this problem, but there's no error code to locate the exact issue.

I tried on 2 different computers as well as completed uninstalling and re-installing the Desktop manager, also tried to disable the automatic update as been advised in some threads. So no clue how to deal with it for now. It will be highly appreciate if some one can share some idea.

I've attached the step by step screenshots for reference.

Thanks,
    James
    Attached Thumbnails Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-1.png   Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-2.png   Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-3.png   Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-4.png   Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-5.png  

Error when updating Playbook OS version via Blackberry Desktop Manager-6.png  
    09-26-14 01:06 PM
    I just downloaded BB DT Software V. 7.1 from BB. No issues, loaded/installed, I don't have my 9850 (OS7) to verify, but it did download and install fine.

Did you do anything to the PC, any windows updates, virus protection changes? Make sure that after you uninstall or install anything to the pc, you should reboot the pc to settle the registry.
    09-26-14 01:27 PM
    Thanks for the input. Yes download is fine, but now is having the error when updating the OS, it worked great before.

No I didn't do anything to the PC, beside I have 2 PCs was able to do this smoothly before but they had the same issue since this Monday.
    09-26-14 01:49 PM
    Try doing a security wipe BEFORE you plug the PB into the pc.
    09-26-14 02:19 PM
    The PB has dead battery so I was counting on this update to solve the problem, can not do wipe without opening it up...
    09-26-14 02:56 PM
    Get a power strip/surge protector, and plug the PB into the strip and start the "Stack charging" Process. Use the main power switch on the power strip to turn off the power instead of plugging/unplugging the charge cable, (saves wear/tear).

And then go here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-895909/

c
    09-26-14 03:12 PM
    I have the same problem when trying to reload the OS on my PlayBook. How did you resolve the issue?
    11-20-14 12:45 PM
    I never had any luck with Desktop Manager. My solution was to switch to Link.
    11-20-14 01:03 PM
    i've tried both and get the same error. How did you get it to work?
    11-20-14 01:05 PM
    Hmm, strange. Link just worked for me right from the get-go. Do you have the drivers installed correctly for the PB?

Another option is to use an autoloader to install the OS from scratch.
    11-20-14 01:34 PM
    I think the drivers are ok because I can connect to the PlayBook and do a backup etc.

Do you have instructions on how to use the autoloader?
    11-20-14 01:38 PM
    Here's a thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1917-a-920440/

It's just an executable file. After you unzip, run it with your PB plugged in. If the PB has a password, you'll be prompted, but otherwise will just silently install.

Probably it's clear, but be warned that this will wipe everything from your PB, but you've got backups so you should be good to go.
    11-20-14 01:46 PM
    I used the autoloader ant it seems to work, the PlayBook is now just like a fresh machine. Do I need to set it up before restoring the backup or will the backup resore it to the settings from before?
    11-20-14 02:49 PM
    I think you can restore at any point. Can others on the thread confirm either way?
    11-20-14 03:15 PM
    Is there any way to load BB10 on the PlayBook?
    11-21-14 10:32 AM
    PlayBook is getting an update before Christmas. Buy one.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 11:53 PM
    More to your question, no -- it's not possible to load a fully baked BB10 on the PlayBook. One (or two?) of the older developer builds "work", but the OS is crippled and you can't go back to OS 2.1.xxx once you go through the process.

Also, some claims about a new update are going around these forums lately. While it'd be great and I hope that's the case, I'd take the claims with a grain of salt -- let's believe it when we see it.
    11-23-14 12:24 PM