"There was an error backing up. there could have been a problem with the device or connection during the back up. Verify that the device is turned on and connected"

Thats the darn message I keep getting, when trying to back up. the status bar would move and say "Preparing for back up" but then it'll fail an I'll get the message stated above.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any solutions? I'm running the latest DM SW
    12-17-11 10:26 PM
    What OS version is on your Playbook?
    12-17-11 10:38 PM
    Did you try rebooting the PC/laptop and the PB?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry.
    12-17-11 10:42 PM
    Hey, thanks for responding back guys. The DM( 1.0.6.35) and PB (is the latest patch 1.08)..

I'm actually on the phone with a RIM Rep now. He said that its because I had to disable Application Backup. When Devs wrote there Source Codes, most forgot to add back up permissions.

I just did a successful Media and Settings back up. Worked like a charm
    12-17-11 11:07 PM
    So how exactly were you able to finally backup your PB...I'm having same issue and can't figure this out. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-11 12:09 AM
    Ok, I went through this a while ago,
    I had the latest versions of both Desktop Manager and the PlayBook OS
    I restarted both my laptop and my PlayBook
    And I tried backing up different sections (media, settings, no app data) (media, app data, no settings) (settings, app data, no media) and ( every section alone)
    and it just didnt work
    I tried a bunch of the tricks people mentioned but nothing seemed to work.

It seems that once you have done a security wipe once, it will allow you to back up
    That's what I did and now it works flawlessly.

So My suggestion is to wipe it early on before you get lost to back up so you don't worry about loosing stuff.

And by the way all your apps are registered to your BlackBerry ID so don't worry about loosing them, but you will loose save data and such for games if you wipe the PlayBook.
    12-18-11 10:11 AM
    So how exactly were you able to finally backup your PB...I'm having same issue and can't figure this out. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ditto, I tried 4 times last night, I can only back up my setting, when I try to back up my applications I get the error.
    12-18-11 10:11 AM
    ditto, I tried 4 times last night, I can only back up my setting, when I try to back up my applications I get the error.
    As many PB owners can testify, including myself who has been unable to backup since July, Backup on the Playbook is broken. I've seen it reported in the RIM forums as well, so maybe it'll be fixed one day.

I've seen reports that it's due to "stuck" Apps (whatever that means ) on the PB. Who knows...?

Selecting a reduced backup from the options instead of a full backup can work for some, and a security wipe has been known to fix this problem, though that's a bit of a nuclear option. After a security wipe you'll be able to backup again for a while... but the problem comes back eventually.

I guess it's on RIM's To-Do list.
    12-18-11 10:28 AM
    so far i have never had this happen. im using a Mac just for the record and i always do a full backup. i dont have the most apps installed but i do have a few. i bet if a few of us work together we can fihure out what the problem is. like a previous post, it sems to have something to do with the apps themselves.
    12-18-11 11:22 AM
    JeepBB.... you triggered the urge () to see if backup is STILL working. I think I added another few apps over the last week. So, here goes. Connected the usb cord....

(okay, it connected and is telling me of the software update to the latest 1.08 OS - skilling that).

Always trepidation when I get that "load content..." where it would fail in the past. But Custom is showing so I will backup Apps and Settings (data I do manually). 3.35gigs for an estimated 15 minutes....

So, after, what two weeks and daily use and the installation of various apps, it is still working. Oh, I'm using some DM version 7.xxxx - which I believe is a beta of DM.

Swimming along in the pacific northWET....
    12-18-11 11:28 AM
    Swimming along in the pacific northWET....
    Heh... in Britain it's always wet!

If we get three days with the same weather, they call it a season.

I'm resisting doing a security wipe for as long as I can. I've too many Apps to go through the pain of re-installing - not hard to do, but sure takes some time.

The only time I miss Backup is when a new OS comes out... and I really wish I could save everything off my PB before I commit to the update. So far, my "fingers-crossed, what's the worst that could happen" confidence hasn't been shaken, and I've survived each OS update. So far... LOL
    12-18-11 11:39 AM
    Backup completed!

What I want to know is how to extract apps from the backup file. I understand it can be done but I don't know the process.

I can attest to the fact that restoration is a time-consuming process. 20 or so gigs of music/photos/video takes quite a while (wifi or usb). And multiple app restoration is a pain from appworld.
    12-18-11 12:04 PM
    According to RIM tech support the issue boils down to the updated Blackberry Desktop Manager...
    ...I had no problem at all prior to udating my BB Desktop Mgr ( yesterday ).
    ...Can't sync, cant do a back-up - nothing at all.

There are thousands effected and RIM is working to fix this....
    ....It's not your PC or any of the USB's on your pc.
    ....It's simply the bugs in the new Desktop manager.

Wireless loading works well and there is always drag and drop.
    12-18-11 12:58 PM
    so far i have never had this happen. im using a Mac just for the record and i always do a full backup. i dont have the most apps installed but i do have a few. i bet if a few of us work together we can fihure out what the problem is. like a previous post, it sems to have something to do with the apps themselves.
    I had this problem since April until the Mac version of Desktop Manager was released that allowed backups. I had been using a PC prior to that and had the failures, did the security wipe, worked for a few months and then failed again. While still in the fail mode, I tried the Mac once they supported backups and the backup went through.

Incidentally, the Debrick works on a Mac now. As I write this I am debricking to revert back to 1.08 from the 2.0 beta.
    12-18-11 01:08 PM
    "There was an error backing up. there could have been a problem with the device or connection during the back up. Verify that the device is turned on and connected"

Thats the darn message I keep getting, when trying to back up. the status bar would move and say "Preparing for back up" but then it'll fail an I'll get the message stated above.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any solutions? I'm running the latest DM SW
    Same error message here. Backup was working perfectly last time I backed up...about 2 months ago. After several tries I can backup Settings separately and again after several tries I can backup Media separately, however, Applications...the usual error message.
    The nuclear option of Security wipe is not one I want to try as I suspect same thing will happen again some time down the road.
    I read somewhere that the Weathereye App is one that can cause this issue. For some reason, I can't seem to uninstall it. I do the Uninstall thing but the App still shows on the home screen but an earlier version of it...anyone else experience this?
    12-25-11 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD