RIM could do themselves a huge favor by simply renaming the 'Power' button to a "Reset" button since that's what it really is now.

After seeing the latest Playbook vs TouchPad CNET video, it sickens me to see reviewers dwelling on this non-issue.

If they call it a Reset button, then its small size and recessed placement actually makes sense. I can't remember the last time I even used it!
    Stump3r, esqlaw, Just Me and 2 others like this.
    07-11-11 05:12 PM
    this is not even bothered me since day one.a lot of people make this a big deal espicially those ifan people that doesnt even have a PB.
    07-11-11 05:17 PM
    If that button was on the ipad or any other tablets rimbots would be talking nonsense about it
    07-11-11 05:19 PM
    I agree - its so stupid - even the reviewers at Cnet couldn't get over the fact that it is so tiny and flush..and these people are supposed to be qualified reviewers! They barely did their homework before putting out this rubbish..

Umm doy! It was designed that way so you wouldn't be hitting it accidentally all the time, (in the middle of working or a presentation) and it is rarely used because....

Rarely should you actually turn it off (why reboot?), more often you would just put it in standby, easily done by (Doy again) simply touching the battery icon.

Then guess what? to wake it back up , you just do a landscape horizontal swipe from bezel to bezel! Who needs a stupid power button other than for turning it on when it has been turned off completely?
    Ibn la Ahad likes this.
    07-11-11 05:19 PM
    Regardless of what the button is for, it is stupid. The playbook is a great piece of hardware but the button is stupid and it makes people wonder what were they thinking. The speaker on the back of the ipad is dumb and they take flaq for it.
    07-11-11 05:23 PM
    If that button was on the ipad or any other tablets rimbots would be talking nonsense about it
    Haven't you bought your Playbook yet? Why do you keep trolling these forums? Playbook envy?

I once wanted a Ferrari and couldn't afford it, so I spent my time by the showrooms chasing people who bought one and telling them how much it sucked and they should have bought a VW like mine, much like another user in here mentioned. That was before I grew up and got a life of course...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-11-11 at 05:26 PM.
    Thachoc1 and togardergrosse like this.
    07-11-11 05:24 PM
    People, get over it! It's a non issue!!! c'mon people! :-D
    07-11-11 05:28 PM
    Regardless of what the button is for, it is stupid. The playbook is a great piece of hardware but the button is stupid and it makes people wonder what were they thinking. The speaker on the back of the ipad is dumb and they take flaq for it.
    This is true. The button is a terrible design. I'm just glad you don't really need to use it especially, if your nails are short. The speakers on the other hand are the best I have ever heard on a tablet.
    07-11-11 05:28 PM
    Unless you saw a pre-production device, then you don't even know how bad the button was. It was at least 1mm lower, maybe more. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Thankfully RIM added some height to the button for the production models, bringing it flush to the case. Unfortunately, all the journalists got pre-production models back when they were reviewing the device. They wrote about what they had, and at that time, the button was ridiculous. It's RIM's fault for pushing a botched design out to reviewers without telling them a fix was in the works (I only saw one review that noted this, out of a dozen reviews).
    07-11-11 05:34 PM
    Unless you saw a pre-production device, then you don't even know how bad the button was. It was at least 1mm lower, maybe more. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Thankfully RIM added some height to the button for the production models, bringing it flush to the case. Unfortunately, all the journalists got pre-production models back when they were reviewing the device. They wrote about what they had, and at that time, the button was ridiculous. It's RIM's fault for pushing a botched design out to reviewers without telling them a fix was in the works (I only saw one review that noted this, out of a dozen reviews).
    Wow you people STILL don't get it - it was INTENTIONALLY designed so it would be HARD to press (accidentally) ...not so it would be EASY to press (accidentally). Do you really want to set the playbook on edge, (like when giving a presentation at a lectern or setting it in a document holder at your desk) ) or just forget what orientation you are in and press it with your finger and reset the whole thing by mistake?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-11-11 at 05:57 PM.
    07-11-11 05:38 PM
    There's a power button? Oh right I forgot all about it...
    07-11-11 05:39 PM
    People, get over it! It's a non issue!!! c'mon people! :-D
    That's exactly the point of the thread - its a non-issue but high profile reviewers who should know better keep making it into one!

It is kind of funny that a thread should be started saying "enough" of something, only to bring it to the forefront though lol.

BrokenSaint likes this.
    07-11-11 05:42 PM
    I'm just glad you don't really need to use it especially, if your nails are short.
    That's exactly my point. Most reset buttons are recessed and require a pen tip or paper clip to press so you don't do so accidently. Considering that it's right next to the volume rocker, you wouldn't want to power down your Playbook when you meant to simply turn the volume down. As a 'power' button, I can see justificatoin in the complaints. As a 'reset' button, I can't. And, once again, the only time I've ever used the button has been a) initial startup and b) trouble shooting the last update (which I'd use a reset button on any other device for).

And BTW, a vertical swipe from top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top wakes the Playbook too.
    07-11-11 05:43 PM

Then guess what? to wake it back up , you just do a landscape horizontal swipe from bezel to bezel!
    You can also do a vertical swipe.
    07-11-11 05:48 PM
    Huh? Sometimes I just read a post like this and can only think to respond by blatantly saying "WRONG".

WRONG.

Everyone with a brain, knowledge of the playbook, and experience with the playbook knows they made the button flush to prevent it from being accidentally hit. You can wake by swipe and sleep by pressing the power icon and pressing sleep. Sooo simple and beautiful in everyday use.

Personally, its the best power button that is integrated into a product that works alongside the OS... that I've ever seen. RIM deserves praise for their design of the playbook.
    07-11-11 05:50 PM
    Not only does the power button not have an issue, but did you hear the Playbook doesn't have a home button anywhere to be found?
    07-11-11 05:51 PM
    That's exactly my point. Most reset buttons are recessed and require a pen tip or paper clip to press so you don't do so accidently. Considering that it's right next to the volume rocker, you wouldn't want to power down your Playbook when you meant to simply turn the volume down. As a 'power' button, I can see justificatoin in the complaints. As a 'reset' button, I can't. And, once again, the only time I've ever used the button has been a) initial startup and b) trouble shooting the last update (which I'd use a reset button on any other device for).

And BTW, a vertical swipe from top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top wakes the Playbook too.
    Its not recessed, its flush. All you need to do is press gently with pressure spread across your fingertip, as opposed to concentrated in the point of your fingertip, for half a second and release.

If you gotta reset, however, I can see the convenience of something pointy but its still not necessary.
    07-11-11 05:53 PM
    And according to some inutbars the lack of a home button is why the PB is unsuitable for enterprise use.
    07-11-11 05:53 PM
    I haven't used the power button since April 20th.
    07-11-11 05:54 PM
    I haven't used the power button since April 20th.
    I have. Before the power button had the standby I would sometimes press the power button to standby. Haven't since that update.
    07-11-11 06:04 PM
    Wow you people STILL don't get it - it was INTENTIONALLY designed so it would be HARD to press (accidentally) ...not so it would be EASY to press (accidentally). Do you really want to set the playbook on edge, (like when giving a presentation at a lectern or setting it in a document holder at your desk) ) or just forget what orientation you are in and press it with your finger and reset the whole thing by mistake?
    If it was intentional, why did RIM change the design for the later units? I exchanged mine and got the newer edition...it's only a fraction of an inch higher, but the improvement in usability is considerable. I have never once came remotely close to pressing it by accident...and in the convertible case it is still too hard to push. As to the OP's point, it's not a reset button, it's a hard-to-use power button. Either accept that view or stand by your necessary premise, EVERY other handheld device manufacturer since the beginning of time has gotten it wrong, and made their power buttons to easy to press by accident. Another technological leap for RIM!
    07-11-11 06:16 PM
    I used to own an ipad and I would accidentally push the off button alot more than i would want to actually push it. That to me is a flaw and was addressed nicely on the playbook.
    07-11-11 06:42 PM
    I have a 64GB Playbook and i have never had an issue with the power button. I don't see what all of the fuss is about, now that OS 1.0.6 fixed the issue.
    07-11-11 07:03 PM
    Since buying my playbook on the first day it was released, I have had to press the button only twice. Wasn't that hard to do either; afterall, I did successfully pass kindergarten Personally I dont see nor understand what the issue is with the power button at all.
    07-11-11 08:06 PM
    Wow
    There's a power button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-11-11 08:14 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD