The number one reason that I have not yet purchased a Playbook is the lack of a mobile data option. I see a small tablet as something that I would take with me instead of a full laptop for things that might be too tedious on a smaller phone screen. However, my phones have the advantage of having access to data everywhere. The Playbook currently does not have this type of access, which means I have to use my phone as a hotspot every time I want to use the Playbook, or buy and use a dedicated mobile hotspot device.

For those of you who own Playbooks, but do not own or use a BlackBerry smartphone, how well are you getting along? Are you using the Playbook only at home or in the office where you have Wifi access or are you connecting to your phone or hotspot device constantly?
    05-01-12 01:04 AM
    I am fortunate enough to have Wi-Fi access pretty much everywhere where I work, live, and go most often. Besides, I have a complementary Wi-Fi access through AT&T (came with my home internet contract) in cases I am in a public place where I don't have access to my home or work networks.
    05-01-12 01:16 AM
    You can use your phone hotshot to get on web.you don't need a blackberry to get web on PlayBook.
    stevepar and eternalemb like this.
    05-01-12 01:19 AM
    You can use your phone hotshot to get on web.you don't need a blackberry to get web on PlayBook.
    What he said.

I have a Windows Phone and my wifi hotshot works great from in my pocket. Get speeds of up to 7Mbps. Can't ask for much more.

PlayBook is NOT dependent on a BlackBerry. Although watching my wife Bridge with her Torch 9850 and do a few things I can't does get me sometimes...but for just Internet, I reckon any phone with fast Internet will do the job nicely.
    05-01-12 03:08 AM
    I have an iphone & simply use the phone when wifi isn't available, if I really need Internet access. I find the playbook to be excellent as a laptop replacement. I hardly use my home pc anymore unless I have a document to type or have to do something needing a lot of keyboarding. I find I use the playbook a lot for offline things like reading eBooks & games. (I discovered the playbook originally while looking for an ereader.) I just got back from a vacation & had no issues using the playbook via wifi in the airports and around the hotel. It kept me entertained on the plane: reading, listening to music, games, watching movies, etc. It's also handy for showing vacation pictures and you can take pictures while looking less geeky than the iPad photographers. For $250, it's one of the best bargains I've ever found.
    Last edited by foghorn_leghorn; 05-01-12 at 06:47 PM.
    05-01-12 06:20 PM
    Finding out that my new Playbook could only be tethered with my phone data via bluetooth was quite the unpleasant surprise today. Had no idea it wouldn't function without my phone (whatever kind). Well, data anyway.

Had my phone with me at work. Playbook at home. Wife planned to use it as a GPS of sorts to view a map to a new park for our daughter's softball game. It would not tether because my phone was "not within range".

Why would it not be created with mobile access?!?!?! HUGE OVERSIGHT!!!!!!!!! Maybe a reason RIM is in difficulties?

Disappointing.
    06-29-12 01:34 AM
    Finding out that my new Playbook could only be tethered with my phone data via bluetooth was quite the unpleasant surprise today. Had no idea it wouldn't function without my phone (whatever kind). Well, data anyway.

Had my phone with me at work. Playbook at home. Wife planned to use it as a GPS of sorts to view a map to a new park for our daughter's softball game. It would not tether because my phone was "not within range".

Why would it not be created with mobile access?!?!?! HUGE OVERSIGHT!!!!!!!!! Maybe a reason RIM is in difficulties?

Disappointing.
    I just do not buy that, i bought the playbook because it was wi-fi/hotspot only.

I didnt want a device that would need another "dataplan".

I can connect and use my playbook at work, at home on the bus , in a park, in the car,

" huge oversight" sorry, you should of researched it more
    Barljo likes this.
    06-29-12 06:22 AM

Disappointing.
    Perhaps because they assumed people who purchased it would own Blackberry phones and would find that bridging was the way to go.
    06-29-12 09:44 AM
    I bought it cause I don't want to pay for a monthly data plan and so accept I am limited to where I can find wifi. No problem. But people who claim it's a laptop substitute must not be using their laptop for much.

Here's a test of their comparability. Have you PB and laptop ready, then check house listings in your neighbourhood on mls.ca. Start with the PB, then laptop. Go thru the windows till you get specific listings. It should take under 30 seconds on the laptop. On your PB it will take several minutes unless you first give up in frustration at the delays and misdirections that happen every time I try it on the PB.
    06-29-12 11:52 AM
    What phone? What carrier? What's plan?

I have a Droid 4 on VZW that has wifi hotspot on 4g LTE. Have no issues connecting my PB to it and get speeds as fast and sometimes faster than a direct wifi conection.
    06-29-12 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD