From engadget's review:

"The 1.5GHz processor (we're led to believe it's a TI OMAP 4460) does make a difference, although it's normally what you might call an improvement by a thousand cuts over the original 1GHz chip. RIM's interface is just a little bit more fluid, apps are ready just a little bit sooner, games like Need For Speed: Undercover are just a bit faster. Where we noticed the clock speed hike is in browsing -- and by a wide margin. Running the SunSpider web browser benchmark, we saw the JavaScript processing time cut by 35 percent versus the WiFi version to 1,397ms, making it faster not just than the WiFi PlayBook but the iPad, the Nexus 7, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and even the quad-core Galaxy S III smartphone. Our personal experience also showed that the browser didn't have much trouble keeping up with complex pages. We're not sure what RIM slipped into the PlayBook 4G LTE's diet to make its browsing so quick, but we'd like to try some."

Great job rim on the browser, keep pushing for BB10!!!! Would have loved to see the screen resolution upgraded to the dev alpha device for the LTE playbook. Increased resolution needed on any tablet going forward. It's a big selling point, that will greatly increase the user experience.
    Last edited by Im Mo Green; 08-09-12 at 07:34 PM.
    08-09-12 07:31 PM
    Nice!!!!
    Snyder81 likes this.
    08-09-12 08:15 PM
    Nice indeed. I wonder what the comments over there wil be though...
    08-09-12 08:29 PM
    So pay 500 for a better browser? I keep my wifi one
    08-09-12 08:45 PM
    Credit where it's due. A 50% bump in processor speed should not equal a 30-40% increase in javascript speed. They must have done some pretty good tuning under the hood to pump out those numbers. It's just a synthetic benchmark that won't translate directly to real-world performance, but it's still an accomplishment.
    08-09-12 09:00 PM
    Just saw in the MapleSyrup review that the OS is the one that got pulled earlier (668).
    I think the display is fine. I don't think my eyes would even notice the different resolution.
    I think RIM upgraded the Playbook for a business niche market and it didn't cost them an arm and a leg to do it. They may already have had the screens purchased etc and just added the improved CPU and LTE chip. Of course, they needed some software upgrade but it still was probably an inexpensive product to develop and as long as they don't overproduce them, it is a no-lose situation.
    08-09-12 09:10 PM
    Yes, it is 2.0.1.668 and the browser is quite a bit faster at loading then the WiFi version. Will do up a comparison video soon and post it to the blogs.
    louzer likes this.
    08-09-12 09:19 PM
    Just curious. Which carrier is being used for the LTE? Verizon?
    08-09-12 09:45 PM
    You should of posted the conclusion to the review for balance. Here it is:

"It's when you stack up Waterloo's latest tablet against its competition that things get tough. Asking $550 Canadian ($554 US) off-contract for a 4G, 32GB tablet is reasonable in isolation, but it faces competition that can provide a better value, at least under certain circumstances. To get a new iPad with 4G and 32GB of space is about $200 Canadian more, but it also touts a much better (if less portable) screen and a giant tablet app ecosystem. Pay just $100 Canadian more and you'll get a Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE that isn't as high-resolution or as quick as the iPad, yet still manages to improve on the PlayBook's resolution and app diversity. And if you don't want LTE or 32GB of minimum space, there's not much of a contest: the Nexus 7 has a more advanced platform at a much lower price for the same screen area, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is also very competitive, and the WiFi-only PlayBook is cheaper than its LTE cousin at $300.

We're of the same mindset as we were when we looked at PlayBook 2.0: the device is fine, but it's not enough to make an undecided shopper gravitate towards the BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE based solely on its technical merits. We'd need more and better apps, a higher resolution screen or some truly exclusive features to make the leap. The tablet therefore remains mostly for the BlackBerry faithful. However, that $250 price difference between 4G and WiFi versions is just small enough that, between the two, we'd spring for the faster and more functional 4G edition."
    08-09-12 10:14 PM
    Credit where it's due. A 50% bump in processor speed should not equal a 30-40% increase in javascript speed. They must have done some pretty good tuning under the hood to pump out those numbers. It's just a synthetic benchmark that won't translate directly to real-world performance, but it's still an accomplishment.

This is likely due to the QNX microkernel under the hood.

i'm like to see how performance scales when they move to quad core systems.

The efficient nature of the microkernel will really begin to shine through as the hardware evolves.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-09-12 10:22 PM
    This is likely due to the QNX microkernel under the hood.

i'm like to see how performance scales when they move to quad core systems.

The efficient nature of the microkernel will really begin to shine through as the hardware evolves.

It has nothing to do with the microkernal. Microkernals are not efficient at all. They're all about stability. I can only assume that they've improved the browser renderer significantly.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-09-12 10:26 PM
    this pb lte mist really be fast. my browser score in sunspider is 2400 ms. new pb has 1400. My pb is almost twice as slow !

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-12 11:17 PM
    Seems like great hardware. THey just need to get the bb10 phones out so their ecosystem can grow faster and people can STFU about not enough apps.
    08-10-12 12:17 AM
    people can STFU about not enough apps.
    LOL..uneducated consumers will never STFU about blackberry and it's eco system. Until BB10 actually amazes these type of consumers, we'll never hear the end of it.
    gschep, FreeJACLive and h20work like this.
    08-10-12 12:33 AM
    this pb lte mist really be fast. my browser score in sunspider is 2400 ms. new pb has 1400. My pb is almost twice as slow !

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    My wifi PB is pushing just under 2100ms on OS 2.1 beta. What OS version are you testing against?

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    rexrim likes this.
    08-10-12 12:43 AM
    Yes finally the PlayBook is being recognized!
    08-10-12 01:02 AM
    Now I must have this
    08-10-12 04:52 AM
    LOL..uneducated consumers will never STFU about blackberry and it's eco system. Until BB10 actually amazes these type of consumers, we'll never hear the end of it.
    So if someone thinks BB's app ecosystem is crap, they're uneducated? Take off the rose-coloured glasses pal.
    08-10-12 06:48 AM
    You do realize you completely pulled that answer out of your arse, right?

Of course microkernels are about efficiency. The L4/Darwin research proves the performance benefits that would be seen if Apple moved from a Mach base to an L4 base. But it would require a new Steve Jobs and a couple years to make the transition.

The QNX kernel has also been optimized for SMP, so it should maintain a proportional performance increase as the hardware scales. If they're pulling a 35 percent performance increase on a 50 percent processing power increase, expect a 70 percent increase when the number of cores double.

08-10-12 08:24 AM
    Poor netiquette to not post a link to the actual article:

BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE hands-on -- Engadget

I find this quote interesting:

"It's good news for those who aren't fans of carrier bloatware slipping into their tablets, although it also means there's no Bridge-free BlackBerry Messenger or built-in turn-by-turn navigation. We're also baffled by the lack of built-in hotspot creation support, which would make a very convincing case for the PlayBook as an oversized router."

Wow. Really RIM?

How can they not include BBM on this thing? That's just ridiculous.
    08-10-12 08:28 AM
    It's still running 2.0.1.668, right?

They could enable a number of features with 2.1.
    08-10-12 08:33 AM
    You do realize you completely pulled that answer out of your arse, right?

Of course microkernels are about efficiency. The L4/Darwin research proves the performance benefits that would be seen if Apple moved from a Mach base to an L4 base. But it would require a new Steve Jobs and a couple years to make the transition.

The QNX kernel has also been optimized for SMP, so it should maintain a proportional performance increase as the hardware scales. If they're pulling a 35 percent performance increase on a 50 percent processing power increase, expect a 70 percent increase when the number of cores double.

Last time I checked, constant context switching was not efficient.
    08-10-12 08:39 AM
    BBM has been stated to be coming with BB10, this is not running BB10. Seems pretty easy to follow the logic that BBM isnt included on this?
    08-10-12 08:40 AM
    Check again.

08-10-12 08:49 AM
    Poor netiquette to not post a link to the actual article:

BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE hands-on -- Engadget

I find this quote interesting:

"It's good news for those who aren't fans of carrier bloatware slipping into their tablets, although it also means there's no Bridge-free BlackBerry Messenger or built-in turn-by-turn navigation. We're also baffled by the lack of built-in hotspot creation support, which would make a very convincing case for the PlayBook as an oversized router."

Wow. Really RIM?

How can they not include BBM on this thing? That's just ridiculous.

why is this a shock RIM has stated numerous times that BBM was coming to a QNX based system until BB10 is released. At the very least Engadget should know this or do a little research before posting their outrage that it is not there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-10-12 08:55 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD