04-26-11 07:34 PM
    I see this article as a positive for the Playbook. The way people were talking about the QNX platform, you would think no developers had any interest in making apps for it. This study actually shows that a fifth of developers are going to make apps for us. That's certainly good enough for me.
    04-26-11 07:37 PM
    Developers want money and easily, thats all there is to it.

RIM needs to have more Playbook sales and make the developing experience, process and submission as smooth as possible.
    Hankster likes this.
    04-26-11 07:38 PM
    Well they bought TAT, and they own QNX. Have them work on apps. You have to showcase some cool stuff and show what can be done to get developers excited, plus you have to show it is a viable ecosystem to make money. Adobe is so pissed at Apple they should be contributing more too.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    04-26-11 07:53 PM
    Take another look at the source: it's a poll of Appcelerator Titanium developers. Appcelerator Titanium is a development platform that supports iOS and Android and ... nothing else. Developers who develop for other platforms -- like BlackBerry -- are not likely to be using Appcelerator and consequently will not be part of that poll.
    04-26-11 08:03 PM
    OK, this is basically a troll article. It is based on a source of developers using Appcelerator, a development platform that only works with iOS and Android. And so, CLEARLY, you are going to get unbiased interest levels from developers that are already heavily invested in iOS and Android.
    04-26-11 08:04 PM
    Engadget? Omg. For engadget its got to be apple or android. Not much else matters.
    04-26-11 08:10 PM
    Well, I am a rank novice developer now a days and have been interested in QNX for almost 30 years. I have been out of the action for some time. But I was curious, so I have downloaded the materials/SDK. So far, not even been able to follow the examples and get them to work without them throwing an error. Directions seem to be clear, but not able to convert to a working example. Either I am missing something, or the documentation is assuming I have stuff I may not. It's frustrating. At best its going to take quite a while to learn the API. It's likely I will give up, before too long. I don't really have the time to really build a great app, though I have several good ideas for Apps I would like to have. Its not really a market for hobbyist now a days I am thinking.
    04-26-11 08:23 PM
    Take another look at the source: it's a poll of Appcelerator Titanium developers. Appcelerator Titanium is a development platform that supports iOS and Android and ... nothing else. Developers who develop for other platforms -- like BlackBerry -- are not likely to be using Appcelerator and consequently will not be part of that poll.
    Thank you! I was just about to point that out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 08:30 PM
    Developers want money and easily, thats all there is to it.
    That would probably hold true more for independent devs many of which are submitting lame 99c apps to make a quick buck. I think most serious devs look at the potential of being the first players in a new market and getting a foot hold before it gets inflated with more fluff apps.

For example, the first dev to drop an rdp app in the market will get my and many other users purchase, even if it ends up terrible. once a few more hit the market, yours will still get first looks due to being downloaded more.
    Do you think angry birds would be as popular as it is if it was not the first free app you see as a new user?

RIM and QNX are not going anywhere even if the playbook doesnt do amazing in its first gen. Any serious dev that scoffs at developing for the platform is likely going to regret being late to the game.
    04-26-11 08:37 PM
    Lotta positive reviews crops up today, from bloomberg bsnessweek to giga om and wireless week.
    04-26-11 08:45 PM
    Well, I am a rank novice developer now a days and have been interested in QNX for almost 30 years. I have been out of the action for some time. But I was curious, so I have downloaded the materials/SDK. So far, not even been able to follow the examples and get them to work without them throwing an error. Directions seem to be clear, but not able to convert to a working example. Either I am missing something, or the documentation is assuming I have stuff I may not. It's frustrating. At best its going to take quite a while to learn the API. It's likely I will give up, before too long. I don't really have the time to really build a great app, though I have several good ideas for Apps I would like to have. Its not really a market for hobbyist now a days I am thinking.
    Yeah, the SDK is pretty confusing. They have tons of resources but it seems like they all gloss over some important parts while focusing time on unimportant things.

For example, I found out from a third party video that in order for the app to run on a PB and not just in the built in simulator you have to make a blackberry-tablet xml file and put a bunch of stuff in it.

I may have to just wait for a book to come out...I hate reading stuff on the internet :/
    04-26-11 09:05 PM
    Yeah, the SDK is pretty confusing. They have tons of resources but it seems like they all gloss over some important parts while focusing time on unimportant things.

For example, I found out from a third party video that in order for the app to run on a PB and not just in the built in simulator you have to make a blackberry-tablet xml file and put a bunch of stuff in it.

I may have to just wait for a book to come out...I hate reading stuff on the internet :/
    +1... get a book. Generally, RIM sucks at documenting their API. Google on the otherhand does a fantastic job. If you can stomach the pain and suffering of RIMs API, you'll be reaching a still untapped market.

It's simple numbers... Competing against 100,000 apps, how do you stand out in a crowd that big? Competing against 10,000 apps, well, now you're easier to find, and if you update regularly, you'll be put in front on the recently updated list.
    04-26-11 09:32 PM
    It's simple numbers... Competing against 100,000 apps, how do you stand out in a crowd that big? Competing against 10,000 apps, well, now you're easier to find, and if you update regularly, you'll be put in front on the recently updated list.
    That's what I figure - ****, I saw this guy made a simple bible app in what looks like the default interface for flex.

All he had to do was load up XML of the bible, troubleshoot and call it a day. At $.99 a pop in the top purchased section he must be making a killing. His app has now overshadowed all other bible apps as whenever someone goes in the top purchased section and they are the type of person that inclined to have a bible on every device (a person I have still yet to meet - but aparantly they're out there) that's the one they're gonna download.
    04-26-11 09:43 PM

Well crap, didn't want to hear thi. I guess I'll wait for a book too.

If it's not very clear then yeah I see the android repacking being the majority of PB apps
    04-26-11 10:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD