YouTube today announced changes to its data API, causing many older apps on various devices to stop functioning. On the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, iOS 7 or later is required for the YouTube app to function.

So will this kill YouTube on the Playbook?
    04-21-15 05:00 PM
    maybe, maybe not. The keyword being "app". so just use the browser
    andy275 likes this.
    04-21-15 05:07 PM
    Use Fast Browser and set the user agent to BB10. It works great.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 07:17 PM
    The BB browser is pretty slow (almost unusable) when accessing Youtube. Is Fast Browser any better? The BB Youtube app has now stopped working entirely so I am looking for alternatives to keep the Playbook chugging for a little while longer?

Any chance there's a third party Youtube app available as another option? I've looked but most of the Youtube apps in the BB store seem sketchy

Thanks
    05-07-15 12:59 PM
    I switched to Tubemate (sideloaded android app). Works great. You can sign into your Youtube account (which you couldn't do on the native options for ages now), plus the app lets you download videos for offline viewing. Find a working version on the APK to BAR converter on Goodereader.
    05-07-15 01:25 PM
    I switched to Tubemate (sideloaded android app). Works great. You can sign into your Youtube account (which you couldn't do on the native options for ages now), plus the app lets you download videos for offline viewing. Find a working version on the APK to BAR converter on Goodereader.
    Thanks. I'll try that
    05-07-15 09:48 PM
    Other option is to get the Origami browser, access Youtube's mobile site and switch the user agent to ipad. Many have had good results doing this. Tubemate is a good option as well, but runs a little slow on my PB.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    05-08-15 10:19 AM
    Thanks for the Origami suggestion. Kids are very happy they can watch their movies again. Not as quick as the original for them but way better than nothing.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 05:12 PM
    Thanks for the Origami suggestion. Kids are very happy they can watch their movies again. Not as quick as the original for them but way better than nothing.

Posted via CB10
    I'll second that. The Origami browser does the trick. The playbook lives to see another day
    05-11-15 08:29 AM
    It's pretty darn slow but when there's a 7 year old full of fury to watch something anything is better than nothing.

I'm hoping someone will develop/ adapt an app- even a pay app- that'll keep it going.

In the meantime I guess I should learn how to sideload stuff.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 11:43 AM
    Other option is to get the Origami browser, access Youtube's mobile site and switch the user agent to ipad. Many have had good results doing this. Tubemate is a good option as well, but runs a little slow on my PB.
    Can you explain it a bit more ,
    I'm using the origami browser , when I open YouTube site on it it opens and works , I want the you tube app to work , my 3 year old loves to go by the app ,
    05-16-15 07:36 AM
    The easiest option for a working app on PB now is Stereotube (paid)

Posted via CB10
    themightyshark and dmlis like this.
    05-16-15 08:54 AM
    Stereotube is stll supported by the Developer and is working just great. Recommended!

PlayBook UK Channel C001CB4A1
    05-16-15 10:42 AM
    For a PB browser that works well with Youtube try Frost.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 02:31 PM
    Good call my friend. Went back to it as stock browser poor and youtube defunct origami browser not bad) stereotube was fairly fast as well

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 10:09 AM
    Is stereotube still allowing downloading of video for later viewing? If so I'll have to look if it as my kids like viewing while we are driving . The latest review in BlackBerry World leaves me wondering..

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 03:33 PM
    Is stereotube still allowing downloading of video for later viewing?
    I don't think so, at least not directly from within the app (it violated BB's TOS). Tubemate still has this function, though.
    05-17-15 03:38 PM
    It's weird, I can't search anymore on the app. But my recent videos list is still there and I can watch them and click on the "Related" and "More From" videos.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 06:10 PM
    It's weird, I can't search anymore on the app. But my recent videos list is still there and I can watch them and click on the "Related" and "More From" videos.

Posted via CB10
    If you are taking about the native app yes, same here. People say it isn't working but if you click "recent videos "(can't remember exact name of tab ) it still works. I have been still viewing clicking on the related items on the side panel. So the app will still play videos as long as you can connect through related or the history. Odd but i have still been able to get some use out of it ... Looking to download this Stereotube though
    05-17-15 09:11 PM
    Can you explain it a bit more ,
    I'm using the origami browser , when I open YouTube site on it it opens and works , I want the you tube app to work , my 3 year old loves to go by the app ,
    This method only works in the browser. Nothing will get the native Youtube app to work anymore. Sorry, but it just doesn't function. You either have to use Stereotube or sideload the Android app "Tubemate". I just tried Tubemate and it does work. While I don't mind supporting native developers, I'm not really looking to invest anymore money into Playbook apps.
    05-19-15 01:01 PM
    It just seems like the search feature of the native app no longer works. Is there a workaround? The fact that you can still view videos from the recent videos list means that the search feature can be restored, right?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 03:22 AM
    This i s for a 3 yr old...

Do i buy stereotube
    Do the browser thing and figure that out
    Just let him use recent videos
    Use fast tube (how do i sideload?)

Thanks for the advice!
    05-22-15 05:04 AM
    This i s for a 3 yr old...

Do i buy stereotube
    Do the browser thing and figure that out
    Just let him use recent videos
    Use fast tube (how do i sideload?)

Thanks for the advice!
    Just got stereotube. It works. I use it for my 2 year old.
    PlayBook UK likes this.
    05-24-15 11:57 PM
    I had the same problem until I down loaded "Fast Browser" from BB app World. Yes it's FAST. In settings I first tried BB10 but Firefox works better. As a browser it makes me happy as the stock browser was crap. I did try the Origami browser and it was better than stock but clunky to operate and now will not play you tube videos. I hope this helps. T500J
    08-20-15 01:34 PM
    Downloaded Fast Browser based on the recommendations here. Wasted my money, youtube videos do not run and I can't sign in to my youtube account.
    09-10-15 09:04 AM
35 12