summer never ends in mexicali...
    08-12-11 10:01 AM
    RIM has a secret HQ that is located exactly on the equater so technically it's always summer.

Seriously, there will be no "scheduled vs promised" argument this time, at least not from me. They've said summer over and over again. The only slack I may give is if it comes before the end of september, but that's still late.
    08-12-11 11:10 AM
    And seriously, enough of the jokes about 2012 or whatever, I will give each one of you $500 if the updates you guys are whining so much about don't come before Oct 31st 2011! IE Calender, Native Email
    I will most definitely hold you to this. No, I'm not joking.
    08-12-11 11:42 AM
    I will give them until the first big event closest to the end of summer. If there are no features that day.... RIM WHYYYYY???????
    08-12-11 11:47 AM
    Ok, if you are going to be an a$$ dont say anything. I am making my own presumption about Oct 31st as that is 2 weeks after Devcon.
    But that's not even summer at that point... which would mean they were very wrong/lied to us about when it was coming out. Which also shows how little confidence you have in them.
    08-12-11 12:09 PM
    The wait will be tedious. Be patient
    08-12-11 12:26 PM
    But that's not even summer at that point... which would mean they were very wrong/lied to us about when it was coming out. Which also shows how little confidence you have in them.
    Because I made a ballsy statement about giving money, I am going with a safe bet of 2 weeks after devcon to have the features out. I have faith that by the end of September we will see a few major updates, but I give myself some leeway for the end of October
    08-12-11 12:41 PM
    Because I made a ballsy statement about giving money, I am going with a safe bet of 2 weeks after devcon to have the features out. I have faith that by the end of September we will see a few major updates, but I give myself some leeway for the end of October
    Two weeks after Devcon and you are into November.

When do we tell you where to send the money?
    08-12-11 12:49 PM
    If its into November, then the Playbook is all but officially dead. Sorry, that is too long for anyone to expect consumers to wait for updates that should have been there when the d**** thing was first released. And knowing RIM, once November comes, they will send then ask us to wait till next summer for something good.

RIM had a golden opportunity to really make a go of it with the Playbook - it has fabulous technology and so much potential. But all of the delays has simply killed the device.
    kbz1960 and jschu22 like this.
    08-12-11 12:55 PM
    I'm replying only to have my name in this thread, $500 would be nice. Isn't this what lawyers call an implied contract?
    Last edited by PineappleUnderTheSea; 08-12-11 at 01:07 PM.
    08-12-11 01:02 PM
    I'm replying only to have my name in this thread, $500 would be nice. Isn't this what lawyers call an implied contact?
    If only it were.
    08-12-11 01:06 PM
    I'm replying only to have my name in this thread, $500 would be nice. Isn't this what lawyers call an implied contract?
    In fairness to quicksilver, I don't think that there is any contract here, just a unilateral promise, which is probably unenforceable.

There is no consideration for the contract - no quid pro quo. If he had said "If you guys stop whining about this and RIM does not release the updates before Oct. 31" them there might be something to talk about.

Still, if he doesn't pay me I'll make some kind of stink.
    08-12-11 01:12 PM
    I will raise QuIcKsIlV3r's ante and say it will be launched at DevCon along with the Native SDK. I will also add in Netflix support for good measure.

DevCon is a BIG event for RIM now. They need the excitement. This makes for a perfect setup to the event.
    08-12-11 01:14 PM
    I will raise QuIcKsIlV3r's ante and say it will be launched at DevCon along with the Native SDK. I will also add in Netflix support for good measure.

DevCon is a BIG event for RIM now. They need the excitement. This makes for a perfect setup to the event.
    How much are you adding to his $500?
    08-12-11 01:17 PM
    Its funny to see how little you Americans know about Canada. Our summer is EXACTLY the same time as yours is. Begins June 22nd and goes until September 22nd or whatever.

And seriously, enough of the jokes about 2012 or whatever, I will give each one of you $500 if the updates you guys are whining so much about don't come before Oct 31st 2011! IE Calender, Native Email
    Count me in for the payout!
    08-12-11 01:49 PM
    If they release all this stuff for the Playbook at DevCon then RIM has been lying since that is not summer in any part of the world! It would also be 6 months after launch which would be ridiculous.

My prediction, based totally on my own perception of how I see RIM going and based on the Playbook launch:

1. They squeeze in Native PIM/e-mail on September 20, the last Tuesday in September maybe not quite ready for primetime, but within the summer window.

2 DevCon they'll show off the QNX phone prototype with the Highlander UI. The phone will have at least 4 buttons (answer, menu, return, end) to satisfy the gesture incompetent population out there but phone will also support gestures. Availability "summer" 2012, year after OS7 phones.

3 DevCon opening they announce the release of Cyclone TV product that will be coming out on Oct31 with full Netflix support (and also announce an app for the Playbook released that morning on Appworld), 1080p, and ability to connect to external storage (USB hard Drive) loaded with movies and music (also ability to connect to USB drive on the Playbook in October 18th (Tuesday) update.

4 Devcon Opening a 10" playbook also with at least a menu and return buttons (basically just telling the OS to do a swipe down and swipe up respectively) but also support all the gestures the 7" model had (because they will just be telling the OS a swipe was issued). They may announce a revised 7" with the buttons too. Availability March 2012.

I'm probably showing way more optimism than RIM deserves, but I think that they released the Playbook to:

- Test full gesture device on general population. While I love them they aren't for non-tech savvy apparently tied to a home button. I think they delayed the 10" to add some buttons of some sort.
    - Figure out what to keep in TabletOS for the phones and what to axe.
    - Get the FIPS certification in such a generic way that any Arm7 device running Neutrino 6.6 with Crypto Kernel 5.6 is FIPS approved and phone will be approved launch day
    - Get the e-mail/PIM stuff ironed out so ready for the phone.

Anyway take this for what it is, my predictions with no insider knowledge!
    chiefbroski and knightfall like this.
    08-12-11 01:50 PM
    Ooooohhhh....Australian summer....

....in 2015....

jk,jk...

No hate here, I love my Playbook and I have the android player/martketplace, which I barely use anyway, lol. I don't need native email, I'd like autocorrect in word, bbm, and the browser (if possible), and some browser improvements (on an already good browser), and working maps software with the compass and gps functionality.

With the PIM, email and android apps out of the way, they should continue with REAL innovation:

-Augmented reality stuff with wikitude
    -Video chat over bbm
    -Liquid lens technology to keep devices thin and have autofocus!
    -Capactive/Resistive Hybrids sceens
    -Blackberry balance
    -Using the fluid interfaces of TAT in BBM, browser

And stuff they haven't been working on:
    -Document cloud serviced integrated with the Documents to go

And seriously just refining the UI of BBM, messages, Bing maps, browser, facebook, Music, App World, Clock,and Adobe Reader. People like it when its buttery smooth. It doesn't have to be super fast, as long as it is natural and user-friendly.
    08-12-11 02:19 PM
    In fairness to quicksilver, I don't think that there is any contract here, just a unilateral promise, which is probably unenforceable.

There is no consideration for the contract - no quid pro quo. If he had said "If you guys stop whining about this and RIM does not release the updates before Oct. 31" them there might be something to talk about.

Still, if he doesn't pay me I'll make some kind of stink.
    Depends on whether his words are a "promise" or he is just saying that he is "scheduling" to pay out after Oct 31st .
    08-12-11 02:26 PM
    "Summer? I didn't say that. There was no such statement. We would have said Winter if we said anything. There is too much of this holding people to what they say anyway . . ."
    +1.

Fanbois, lets hear from you. What is your defence now? Sprint just handed rim its --- on a platter, the OS has really gone nowhere in over two months... i want to know, what is your spin this time?

Depends on whether his words are a "promise" or he is just saying that he is "scheduling" to pay out after Oct 31st :-).
    Im still laughing about that one. I couldnt wait to hear the defence of this guy, after lieing about what he said thats on record, but schedule vs. promise, thats a good one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-12-11 at 02:37 PM.
    08-12-11 02:30 PM
    Alex, I'll take QuIcKsIlV3r's promise for $500.

Answer: Oct 31, 2011
    Question: When will the Playbook update for native email and the Android player roll out?
    08-12-11 02:43 PM
    Ooooohhhh....Australian summer....

....in 2015....

jk,jk...

No hate here, I love my Playbook and I have the android player/martketplace, which I barely use anyway, lol. I don't need native email, I'd like autocorrect in word, bbm, and the browser (if possible), and some browser improvements (on an already good browser), and working maps software with the compass and gps functionality.

With the PIM, email and android apps out of the way, they should continue with REAL innovation:

-Augmented reality stuff with wikitude
    -Video chat over bbm
    -Liquid lens technology to keep devices thin and have autofocus!
    -Capactive/Resistive Hybrids sceens
    -Blackberry balance
    -Using the fluid interfaces of TAT in BBM, browser

And stuff they haven't been working on:
    -Document cloud serviced integrated with the Documents to go

And seriously just refining the UI of BBM, messages, Bing maps, browser, facebook, Music, App World, Clock,and Adobe Reader. People like it when its buttery smooth. It doesn't have to be super fast, as long as it is natural and user-friendly.
    Is that all? I agree with you, don't care about email, PIM or any of that stuff. Give me functionality.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-12-11 02:43 PM
    October 3st looks reasonable actually. lol. Thats when I'd expect it. Exactly when the 4G playbook comes out.
    08-12-11 02:45 PM
    Exactly when the 4G playbook comes out.
    On Sprint, right?
    Darlaten and haimez like this.
    08-12-11 02:46 PM

LAUNCHING the PB should have been a big event - they blew that one and will blow the next and the next and the ......

Friends WE HAVE AIRPLANE MODE!!!!!!!!!! and a few more !!!!!!
    08-12-11 03:17 PM
    Doesn't RIM have 3 billion in the bank? Why aren't they throwing mass amounts of cash at developers to make this platform something to behold?
    08-12-11 03:20 PM
109 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD