i own both, but i'm interested in your thoughts on what the playbook is offering that's superior to android?
    Bridge, no competition
    06-30-12 09:34 PM
    Bridge, no competition
    thanks for responding, fair enough, bridge is indeed a very awesome feature. i will add though while there is nothing wrong with bridge existing, it's not necessarily to me a killer feature. it does bring functionality of unity together very nicely. though syncing my android devices to my tablet yields very similar functionality, if not in turn becoming more useful as many of the features are open API's and 3rd party can develop their own featuresets. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to take anything away, and i'm impressed by blackberry with bridge, it actually shows light from what overall looks like a stale tech company.
    06-30-12 09:38 PM
    I dont own either, so i dont have a horse in this race.

For starters, I can buy a 64GB PB for $295. The Nexus is selling a 1GB unit for $199. From my research, Yne PB sems to be more endemic towards business use than the Nexus, which is clearly going after the Kindle Fire market i dont see a true apples and apples comparison with the iPad. The Nexus may have a quad core chip but it doesn't pack the business punch of an iPad and it really is not in the same league as the PB (IMHO)

I very rarely play games online, I have a PS3 for that. I love music, research, web browsing and such. The fact that the PB was designed with the business user in mind, simply makes it all that more appealing to me. , I first learned about the PB from an ad in the WSJ. I doubt Nexus will be running any ads in Money, Forbes or WSJ
    06-30-12 09:43 PM
    thanks for responding, fair enough, bridge is indeed a very awesome feature. i will add though while there is nothing wrong with bridge existing, it's not necessarily to me a killer feature. it does bring functionality of unity together very nicely. though syncing my android devices to my tablet yields very similar functionality, if not in turn becoming more useful as many of the features are open API's and 3rd party can develop their own featuresets. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to take anything away, and i'm impressed by blackberry with bridge, it actually shows light from what overall looks like a stale tech company.
    I wasn't aware you could run a droid tabs internet from a droid phone like you can a PB from a BB.
    06-30-12 09:46 PM
    Apologies, i mistyped The Nexus is selling an 8GB unit for $199
    06-30-12 09:47 PM

For starters, I can buy a 64GB PB for $295. The Nexus is selling a 1GB unit for $199. From my research, Yne PB sems to be more endemic towards business use than the Nexus, which is clearly going after the Kindle Fire market i dont see a true apples and apples comparison with the iPad. The Nexus may have a quad core chip but it doesn't pack the business punch of an iPad and it really is not in the same league as the PB (IMHO)

I very rarely play games online, I have a PS3 for that. I love music, research, web browsing and such. The fact that the PB was designed with the business user in mind, simply makes it all that more appealing to me. , I first learned about the PB from an ad in the WSJ. I doubt Nexus will be running any ads in Money, Forbes or WSJ
    And I don't use mine for business at all. I got mine because I fell in lust with the UI and the fluid way to DO things, yes I said do , and reading about QNX and seeing the potential with TAT and all they were suppose to bring. I was excited about getting in on something new and great.
    06-30-12 09:49 PM

Just fyi, if you're considering a Playbook ,64gb are all over Craigslist for $100-$150
    middbrew likes this.
    06-30-12 09:50 PM
    Just fyi, if you're considering a Playbook ,64gb are all over Craigslist for $100-$150
    I wish. Looked on Craigslist but only scammers. Guessing because not many people bought in my area.
    06-30-12 10:10 PM
    I wish. Looked on Craigslist but only scammers. Guessing because not many people bought in my area.
    Check out my signature. I am no scammer
    06-30-12 10:24 PM
    look for the docs to go .bar file. its out tbere somewhere sideload it and you should have a much better experience.
    Well i have had the playbook since january and will switch to the microsoft surface tablet when it comes out for one simple reason, office, providing it's not stupid money.
    The playbook has no good office apps and i have tried and bought all of them out there.

I still like the playbook and will keep it for a spare machine, i tried docs to go but it will not open some of my spreadsheets i have.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    07-01-12 05:18 AM
    I think many people here miss the point. The Playbook was designed to be a business tool. The security, bridge & management features are all geared towards business use. RIM has lost that market. With businesses going to a bring-your-own-device model to save costs and the uncertainty of RIMs future, what business is going to invest heavily in building a Playbook infrastructure into their business? I would not want to be the guy responsible for my company investing in Playbook hardware and the server software just before they go under. Jobs are too hard to come by. The safer bet would be to support ipad or wait for Microsoft surface. The money was never really in the device, but in the management fees. Without that market, RIM has no incentive to launch another tablet. They just can't make any money. They need to focus on BB10 and new phone hardware. They can still make money there. RIM's stock is down to about $7.50 a share. If it were to ever get back around $34 a share I might THINK about suggesting Playbooks for business again.

Research in Motion Ltd., CA:RIM Quick Chart - (TOR) CA:RIM, Research in Motion Ltd. Stock Price - BigCharts.com
    Hawnz likes this.
    07-01-12 06:13 AM
    Ummm ... why settle for an Android when you can get the Playbook.
    Because android has 10x the support?

Rim lost this one. I hate to concede defeat. They waited too long on all front and kept dropping the ball after release.
    Remember when were getting frequent OS updates? Noticed how they have stopped outside a dinky bug fix ever couple of months? Ah... Somebody is about to say "they r waiting on bb10."

Which proves my point.

If you want to see more handwriting on the wall, pay attention to all commercials u see now that discuss a new app.... Its always "check your iphone or android app store for our new app." Never is blackberry mentioned.

It will be a slow decline now until something happens... A buyout or a company split-up. Dumb and dumber were allowed to stay in power too long and they caused too much damage to the blackberry name. RIM is so ignorant they even gave them a $12 million bonus for destroying the company.

On a final note, im glad i have been vindicated regarding the declining sales. All the fanbois kept chanting "sales r increasing! Stock prices r irrelevant!" And i warned THEN that the institutional investors saw this coming... Trains may appear to still be moving for miles after the brakes have been applied.... But its just a slow deceleration.

Well there are no more sales increases and greater numbers of this or increasing that... We have a full fledge route of the company. Jim Cramer is now saying run like from their stock.

Wait on bb10? The consumer isnt. Thats the problem. RIM has been saying "wait" for years now while the competition has said "come to our fold, no need to wait."
    Last edited by kb5zht; 07-01-12 at 12:13 PM.
    brianatbb likes this.
    07-01-12 12:06 PM
    The quad-core Tegra is known for its power efficiency
    Yes its efficiency as a quad core. The industry is far from producing the miracle power saving quad core demanded by mobile devices which have a limited battery capacity.
    07-02-12 12:37 AM
    Yes its efficiency as a quad core. The industry is far from producing the miracle power saving quad core demanded by mobile devices which have a limited battery capacity.
    Hmm. You definitely don't know that quad-core processors are already being used in phones and battery life of those phones is quite good. Efficiency of quad-core Cortex-A15-based chips will be even better. Should be much better than even current single and dual cores.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 07-02-12 at 12:58 AM.
    07-02-12 12:55 AM
    I think many people here miss the point. The Playbook was designed to be a business tool. The security, bridge & management features are all geared towards business use. RIM has lost that market.
    With the endless stream of games for the tablet you would be forgiven for thinking it was intended as a professional business tool. Another lie from the mouths of senior management. New clowns in the car but the same behaviour.
    07-02-12 01:06 AM
    With the endless stream of games for the tablet you would be forgiven for thinking it was intended as a professional business tool. Another lie from the mouths of senior management. New clowns in the car but the same behaviour.
    Professional tools are waiting for Cascades. And we are no longer waiting. We know that Cascades/bb10 for the pb will be here 1st quarter 2013. Or SOON thereafter. Or just around that corner. Perhaps NEXT summer.
    07-02-12 08:31 AM
    Ummm ... why settle for an Android when you can get the Playbook.
    Seriously, have you used both? The Playbook OS is such a better experience and unless there's a very specific app you're targetting, the BB app store doesn't seem so barren any more.
    What?
    I have both, or the wife and I do.
    The PB can do almost nothing compared to the android device. Were forever using the Android cos the PB can't quite connect to our Nas, or play that video file, or have a password program that used the same file as the desktop, or, or, or......
    And as for the PB store, it's not barren cos of all the trash in it now.
    Get real, PB is dead now the 7" nexus is nearly out.
    so sad, but true unfortunately.

J
    07-02-12 08:43 AM
    Sure the dang nexus will sell. Why is it all or nothing on here. There is room for all. Why would anyone want a choice of 1 7" tablet with only 1 OS?

It has to kill everything else and be number 1 or else it's no good.
    07-02-12 08:49 AM
    Sure the dang nexus will sell. Why is it all or nothing on here. There is room for all. Why would anyone want a choice of 1 7" tablet with only 1 OS?

It has to kill everything else and be number 1 or else it's no good.
    While I agree that choice is nice, Rim has done such a poor job of rolling out the pb and marketing the pb and upgrading the pb that we don't have the tools after a full year that the competitors have and keep expanding. And more and more competitors enter the market. Rim could have run away with the 7 inch market but stalled. And they have stalled miserably. We've totally lost incremental upgrades and the larger upgrades (a carrot) keep getting pushed further and further down the road.

Again, I like it but I'm still waiting to be able to readily create and edit a few miserable spreadsheets. I'm still waiting for some reasonable form of FOLDER access and organization. The cursor movement for select/copy/paste needs help - at least for me.
    07-02-12 09:20 AM
    While I agree that choice is nice, Rim has done such a poor job of rolling out the pb and marketing the pb and upgrading the pb that we don't have the tools after a full year that the competitors have and keep expanding. And more and more competitors enter the market. Rim could have run away with the 7 inch market but stalled. And they have stalled miserably. We've totally lost incremental upgrades and the larger upgrades (a carrot) keep getting pushed further and further down the road.

Again, I like it but I'm still waiting to be able to readily create and edit a few miserable spreadsheets. I'm still waiting for some reasonable form of FOLDER access and organization. The cursor movement for select/copy/paste needs help - at least for me.
    I agree but this talk of the 7" nexus is going to everything else is rampant. I'm sure it will do well but let's wait and see.
    07-02-12 09:41 AM
    Professional tools are waiting for Cascades. And we are no longer waiting. We know that Cascades/bb10 for the pb will be here 1st quarter 2013. Or SOON thereafter. Or just around that corner. Perhaps NEXT summer.
    Well at least you got the "we are no longer waiting" part right.
    07-02-12 10:39 AM
    unless you upgrade to a milspec nsa/dod version of android, i could not bring myself to trust the security of that platform for any confidential company information just based on its hackability and lack of controls in its app space.

Other than BES or Apple iOs I just don't see why a CIO or CSO would take such a risk at an enterprise level.

People underestimate the overall cost of managing BYOD at an enterprise level.

RIM forgot its core enterprise audience and let it slip away.
    Also from a messaging standpoint(which enterpise is all about) does the enterprise really need a 4" screen smartphone on 4G. Or is that just to stream netflix or skype?
    Most execs who have to manage hundreds of confidential emails a day still prefer their BB over an iphone..

And when did we settle for critical communication devices who's battery life is less than 24 hours?

such a loss of focus due to glossy marketing
    Last edited by balama; 07-02-12 at 11:08 AM.
    jegs2 and Trunkton like this.
    07-02-12 10:54 AM
    Hmm. You definitely don't know that quad-core processors are already being used in phones and battery life of those phones is quite good. Efficiency of quad-core Cortex-A15-based chips will be even better. Should be much better than even current single and dual cores.
    Not a scientific study I know, but my wife has a quad core phone and battery life is absymal.
    07-02-12 05:59 PM
    Not a scientific study I know, but my wife has a quad core phone and battery life is absymal.
    What phone does your wife have?

I can point you to standardized battery tests for the Samsung S3 and HTC One X that suggest that their battery life is at least in the top third. Not the best battery life, but far from being the worst.

It's definitely not what erhan8 claimed when he said that "The industry is far from producing the miracle power saving quad core demanded by mobile devices which have a limited battery capacity."

And again, watch for Cortex-A15 based quad core chips later this year. They will be at least as efficient as the current single/dual core SoCs.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 07-02-12 at 06:24 PM.
    07-02-12 06:22 PM
    Battery life is also determined by the type of connection. Many 4G phones have terrible battery life until you force the phone to only use 3G. Then the battery life is fine.
    07-03-12 05:43 AM
228 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD