NO its the beginning of the end.
    06-28-12 08:25 AM
    You ever tried to run PBOS with 64, 128, 256, or even 512Mb? I guess it wont run

My point is that the claim that a microkernel architecture is more efficient than a monolithic architecture is simply nonsense. In fact, microkernel has been known for its relative inefficiency.
    There are certain advantages to a microkernel. For example, it has a lot fewer points of failure.
    06-28-12 08:41 AM
    RIM's problem is they're just so far behind, with so few details out. They're still treating the tablet as a media consuming device, where android and Apple have moved well past that simple paradigm. Android clearly gets it. They understand that alone, a tablet isn't the best device for everything. BUT using the tablet as your centre point of control for everything else IS.
    I think you are underestimating their intentions with qnx as a mobile platform, they won't just see it as the basis for phones, tablets and porsches.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    06-28-12 08:45 AM
    Wow!!!! The preview of RIM's earnings call is nasty. Holy smokes! This doesn't look like the balance sheet that upon which the PB will live and thrive.

StreetInsider.com - Q1 Preview: Things Look Gloomy for Research In Motion (RIMM) Investors...
    06-28-12 08:52 AM
    3 little letters: Q...N...X
    06-28-12 09:02 AM
    3 little letters: Q...N...X
    How about Q.E.D.?
    06-28-12 09:06 AM
    Microkernel =/= efficiency. Read a bit. Actually, the contrary is true.

Monolithic kernel =/= inefficiency. IOS is also a monolithic .nix, but it's more fluid than PBOS. Windows XP is a monolithic kernel desktop OS, but guess what the HW requirements are. 64Mb RAM for instance, whereas PBOS eats up 500-600Mb of RAM in idle.

And no, it's not the quad-core CPU that makes Jelly Bean fluid. As you yourself noted, it's the OS optimization (e.g. HW acceleration and other tweaks), which makes it fluid. Watch their promo video. They compare ICS and Jelly Bean on the same hardware.
    You're generalizing. If designed well, with an efficient message passing model, a microkernel OS can in fact outperform a monolithic OS, especially when the latter is as complicated as Android or iOS. And QNX is known to have one of the most efficient kernel's ever designed. All of which translates into better scalability when supporting multiple processes, whether they consist of individual applications or and entire runtime subsystem.

I'm sorry, but the proof is in the pudding. No competing mobile OS platform has demonstrated the kind of multitasking capability that PB owners take for granted every day. You can split hairs about the definition of "multitasking" and harp on the PB's lack of background services, but it's still doing more with the hardware it was given than any Android build. I can't wait to see how it performs on the 4G Playbook and also the first generation BB10 devices. QNX makes my inner OS purist smile.

RCK
    06-28-12 10:31 AM
    3 little letters: Q...n...x
    d...o...a?
    06-28-12 10:50 AM
    Engadget's Nexus 7 review says it's the best $200 tablet in the market

Nexus 7 review: the best $200 tablet you can buy -- Engadget

Between this and the upcoming updated Kindle Fire 2, the Playbook is likely going to get a hammering in retail.

Even worse, Nvidia is farming out the Kai platform that enabled the Tegra 3 chipset to come to such a low price tablet. Expect a flood of 7 inch tablets on the market in the next few months running Tegra 3 SoC.

RIM had a chance to make the Playbook a major player in the 7 inch tablet space. They've failed and will probably never get the chance again, especially when Windows 8 arrives this year.
    06-28-12 11:10 AM
    You're generalizing. If designed well, with an efficient message passing model, a microkernel OS can in fact outperform a monolithic OS, especially when the latter is as complicated as Android or iOS. And QNX is known to have one of the most efficient kernel's ever designed. All of which translates into better scalability when supporting multiple processes, whether they consist of individual applications or and entire runtime subsystem.

I'm sorry, but the proof is in the pudding. No competing mobile OS platform has demonstrated the kind of multitasking capability that PB owners take for granted every day. You can split hairs about the definition of "multitasking" and harp on the PB's lack of background services, but it's still doing more with the hardware it was given than any Android build. I can't wait to see how it performs on the 4G Playbook and also the first generation BB10 devices. QNX makes my inner OS purist smile.

RCK
    Bro that's really nice and all, but who cares? Definitely not the consumer. Yes theoretically all that is quite possible, but how the do you even utilize all this great multitasking when there are no damn tasks to multitask with.

Execution is what it is all about. And execution for RIM means bringing content and functionality. Qnx can be anyones wet dream all day long but when and where does this theory translate to real world use? It sure as wasn't demonstrated with any of the playbook's OS versions...

And I sure hope RIM does not release a new playbook until after bb10 becomes successful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    06-28-12 11:11 AM
    Ummm ... why settle for an Android when you can get the Playbook.
    Seriously, have you used both? The Playbook OS is such a better experience and unless there's a very specific app you're targetting, the BB app store doesn't seem so barren any more.
    I don't think this is true, android is the best OS out there for suped up high end phones (even better than iOS).. and will likely port well to this low/mid end tablet.

With OS features alone the android has the playbook beat... and we don't even know the specs of the tablet yet.

I just hope BB get their act together and make the PB into a properly usable tablet, because at the moment I don't get any joy out of using the PB, just frustration. There's just ALWAYS something wrong
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    06-28-12 12:25 PM
    That's not what I said. I'd expect them to sell parts of their business (hardware, patents) and try to reinvent themselves, possibly as a messaging service in order to save the company. By the end of the year, they will be a different company. If they don't, they are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and their shareholders will lose millions.
    I think they should invest in manufacturing really expensive coasters, for my beverage of choice, that play music through stereo speakers. Once it finally turns on my beer will be warm, so it will work if you like a good British lager.
    06-28-12 12:30 PM
    I've been a hardcore bb fan for years and even I'm starting to lose hope. I don't want Android or iPad (my personal preference based on my own user experience). I just don't see how RIM can turn this around...which makes me very sad indeed.
    06-28-12 12:42 PM
    Wow!!!! The preview of RIM's earnings call is nasty. Holy smokes! This doesn't look like the balance sheet that upon which the PB will live and thrive.

StreetInsider.com - Q1 Preview: Things Look Gloomy for Research In Motion (RIMM) Investors...
    Gloomy is an understatement. Note the somewhat new emphasis on timing and execution of the BB10 launch as being critical, even though they don't think BB10 devices will help over the long term.
    06-28-12 12:53 PM
    I got my Droid 4 phone at the beginning of may. I often find myself wishing it operated more like the Playbook. I've not been super impressed with android so far.
    06-28-12 01:36 PM

RIM had a chance to make the Playbook a major player in the 7 inch tablet space. They've failed and will probably never get the chance again, especially when Windows 8 arrives this year.
    I somewhat agree with that. I've always said I bought the Playbook because it could do what I needed it for with a $200 price tag. I also prefer the smaller size.
    At the time there was no competition at that price point.
    If the competition comes out with more than I need for the same price it will be very tempting.

Bridge is still a very good option for us Blackberry phone users. With the way things are going at RIM I don't know how long governments and large corporations will be exclusive Blackberry users though.

I am also seeing many complaints about the lack of apps being answered with "don't forget about the Android player." If that is going to be the answer people are soon going to cut out the middle man and simply buy an Android.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-28-12 02:32 PM
    Brutal earnings call...can't imagine RIM being able to survive or the PB.
    06-28-12 03:51 PM
    Time to sell one or both of my PBs. Looks like it won't be getting BB10 for up to a year now, if ever.
    06-28-12 03:57 PM
    Ummm ... why settle for an Android when you can get the Playbook.
    Seriously, have you used both? The Playbook OS is such a better experience and unless there's a very specific app you're targetting, the BB app store doesn't seem so barren any more.
    You're kidding about the BlackBerry App store right? The apps that are on there are not anywhere near the quality of the Google Play or iTunes App Store. Come one now. I love my PlayBook too, but there is no comparing the app selection.

I am going to either get the Nexus soon as I can unless Apple releases a 7 or 8" iPad. It's about User Experience. I don't use a BB Phone and there's no reason to have 2 HD Cameras on a tablet if you can't video conference with anyone other than PlayBook owners. I love the Full Calendar & Contacts and the email... but, App wise, I wish I hadn't sideloaded so many apps. I don't use them and don't know how to remove them since the OS 2 update.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-28-12 04:02 PM
    Upon what are you basing your conjecture? It's easy to sit back and become a critic but it's much harder to put your opinions up against facts and business experience. I don't know what the future holds for RIM but I do think that despite the expectation of a loss this quarter (a loss that was openly admitted by RIM about a month ago - so it should come as no surprise to anyone) the company isn't in as bad shape as the Death Watch Patrol would have us believe. Their losses won't come anywhere close to those of Sony for heaven's sake!

For some reason the Death Watch Patrol (my name for all those who actively WANT RIM to fail - despite what they claim) has a bug up their behind about RIM and loves to focus on every negative perspective that some stock/business guru wannabe puts forth. Opinions aren't fact and there are lots of opinions that prove false.

Why don't we wait until tomorrow at least before anyone grabs a handful of dirt to toss on a coffin that isn't even on its way to the graveyard.
    What you call the Death Watch Patrol, I call the Reality Patrol. You mock others and claim they don't use facts, yet put forth no counter argument using facts yourself. Here are the facts from RIM... these were already known, but RIM is putting it out officially now. Sorry the facts don't conform to your rose colored perception of the situation. The ones trolling on this board are the ones who are attacking anybody who says anything "negative", regardless of what the reality is.

RIM: Big FY Q1 Loss; More Red Ink Ahead; BB 10 Delayed To Early 2013; Shrs Plunge (Updated) - Forbes
    06-28-12 04:02 PM
    In what is probably the worst quarter for the Blackberry Brand in history.

There are just too many loyal customers and there are just too many new users coming to Blackberry from emerging markets to see the "End" anytime soon.

In fact, the Blackberry 10 line of phones will launch and should allow RIMM to compete on a more even playing field (in terms of quality and innovation).

Best regards,
    PatrickDC
    06-28-12 04:09 PM
    All I can say is that CrackBerry Fans are as bad as Apple "FanBoys" Listen, The Tablet market is DOMINATED by APPLE. Everyone wants an iPad. If YOU don't, then more power to you. I have an iPod touch, classic, nano, shuffle & my phone is Android based. I love it. I've had Windows phones, BlackBerry phones etc. If you aren't tethering your phone to your PlayBook, what good is that feature?

I am excited to see Google coming out with this & it looks like the "LOW END" Tablet market, which is unfortunately where the PlayBook falls because of Lack of Sales, Being a RIM Product etc... even with BB10 coming out. RIM has fallen so behind that it is going to take another Fire Sale to make a difference.

Again, I remind you all of the "iPad Killer" - HP Touch Pad = Failed. Fire Sale, still an amazing piece of HW. SW - going Open Source soon.

I paid $5 for Angry Birds just to make a point to Apple people that it ran just as well on the PB as on their iPad.

Don't hate. Learn to take the good from the bad... I love my PlayBook and I've never used the HDMI port, but I think it has the best speakers of ANY tablet. I love the bezel swipes. I love shooting video in HD. But, people don't know or don't care that BB makes a tablet.

People who are VERY Security conscious care about the dynamic aspects of the PB. People who are "CONSUMER DRIVEN" care about APPS, availability of their Music, etc. BB doesn't have a cloud like iCloud or Google Play or Amazon. That's another FAIL for RIM.

RIM phones = TOO many choices, too many models, etc. Apple - SIMPLE - 1 phone, modified slightly every year to make $. Android - Too many phones, just a few that are worth anything.

I don't know if it's "The End", but it certainly does not look good for RIM. There's a webcast tonight about how much money RIM has lost, layoffs, etc. Apple - NOT SO MUCH. Google - NOT SO MUCH.
    conix67 and ralfyguy like this.
    06-28-12 04:17 PM
    Yes.
    RIM has lost their fan base. I'm getting the iPhone 5, people know I blackberry but enough is enough.
    06-28-12 04:28 PM
    I think we are all waiting for BB10... the point is that the Nexus seems like a great User Friendly Tablet... I had to look for people on these forums to actually use my Video Chat with just to see what it was like. My father in law gets his iPad 3 & says, watch this, BOOM, Face times to his brother. It's sad when you can't defend your technology choices because there's no leg to stand on.

What am I going to say, "Hey, check out this Flash website!" He would say, "Hey, watch this, BOOM - Skype! Get it?

RIM needs to start thinking more of the Consumers!!!
    06-28-12 04:35 PM
    Yes.
    RIM has lost their fan base. I'm getting the iPhone 5, people know I blackberry but enough is enough.
    Yeah, I am due an upgrade in the fall. I wanted to see what BB10 phones will have to offer. Now it's either iPhone 5 (hopefully with a bigger screen) or a Windows 8 phone. Android is also an option, but I want to get something else for a change.
    06-28-12 04:38 PM
228 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD