The point has been made in many other places, but to repeat: we don't know what's been lined up for the BB10 launch. We are aware that RIM's Developer Relations team has a "top 100" list of apps they really, really want to have in place.
    And therein is the problem RIM faces. Consumers have come to know Blackberry products as the devices that can't in terms of software and applications. This image, regardless of whether or not it is accurate, is what RIM has to overcome.

And I suspect that simply indicating that RIM has a "top 100" list of apps that it "hopes" to have in place is not going to convince, let alone reassure, those who are hesitant on the new platform.

I guess the point I am making is this: with other tablets, consumers don't worry about apps being available - it's a given that they will be - but with RIM products, the expectation is that apps will not be there. Ergot, RIM needs to be loudly, widely, enthusiastically, clearly, and frequently, shouting to the high heavens which developers and which applications are going to be available on BB10.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    06-27-12 06:48 PM
    I'm throwing in th towel and going with the competition. I've given the Playbook and RIM ample time to come up with a few common apps but i can't wait any longer. I'd like to be albe to video chat with people with other operatings systems. I'd like a music player with a shuffle option. I'd like to be able to log on to a campus wifi system and not have to call there IT office because there system doesn't list BB OS. Please don't get me wrong, I think the Playbook is great, it's small , solid, dependable, but is soo lacking in the user friendly department. I'll still use it to browse the net, check email and play solitaire, but I could do that on my Itouch and I can use Skype on that also.
    06-27-12 06:54 PM
    No more negative posts about the PlayBook. From now on just think about the positives, like BB10!
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-27-12 07:05 PM
    No more negative posts about the PlayBook. From now on just think about the positives, like BB10!
    I agree... Wouldn't that be nice?!!!

Thanks for your post
    06-27-12 07:12 PM
    yep PB will have BB 10 on an almost two year old device... now that's marketing right there.... soon after bb10 is launched, they will ditch it for 11, just like they always do.... i tried giving my torch 9810 to a homeless guy and even he didn't want it.......
    LOL Right, bids exceeding $200 on Ebay right now, check it out. Cool story bro.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-27-12 07:52 PM
    I'm throwing in th towel and going with the competition. I've given the Playbook and RIM ample time to come up with a few common apps but i can't wait any longer. I'd like to be albe to video chat with people with other operatings systems. I'd like a music player with a shuffle option. I'd like to be able to log on to a campus wifi system and not have to call there IT office because there system doesn't list BB OS. Please don't get me wrong, I think the Playbook is great, it's small , solid, dependable, but is soo lacking in the user friendly department. I'll still use it to browse the net, check email and play solitaire, but I could do that on my Itouch and I can use Skype on that also.
    My post on the first page applies here.
    Mr.Monty and crazeee4u like this.
    06-27-12 07:56 PM
    You can also use it to shuffle your music while browsing etc. - once you select a song in a playlist, album etc. the button is at the bottom, right next to the one to repeat a song.
    06-27-12 08:26 PM
    With the release of Google 7" tablet at a cost of $199 this will surely be the end of the Playbook. The only reason I got the play book was because of the cost but now why settle for the Playbook when you can get an Android?

Honestly the new tablet will be quadcore with 1gig of ram, how can the PB compete with Android? At least now the PB is small (personally I find 9" too large) and cheap but in a few months it won't even have that.

So this will be the end.
    Will it bridge to my BlackBerry?
    nappp likes this.
    06-27-12 08:33 PM
    I believe everyone is missing the fact that this tablet is actually a huge threat to the playbook. The kindle fire was the laggiest thing ever created and so the playbook had a clear edge. With android 4.0 and a tegra 3 the playbook looses in user experience in a lot of cases like the music player. In the case of the music player it is RIMs fault for coding it in adobe air which is not gpu accelerated. Android 4.0 is gpu accelerated and so now to most people its a tablet with no apps vs a tablet with some apps. While I do know the playbook has better speakers, probably a brighter screen for sunlight use, longer battery life, better cameras (although to be honest in any non super will lit situation they dissapoint me... Do they have autofocus?).

The problem is that Google is a notch above RIM in the public eye in terms of OS quality. Perception is everything unfortunately. Then there is the fact that despite all out arguments apps do matter. There is no getting around the fact that more can be done with all of Android's apps than all of the playbook's apps.

Playbook is at a disadvantage but not quite out. It all hinges on BB10 and a wave of developer support. There is nothing to do but wait. The playbook isn't being pushed all too hard right now because RIM has nothing new to push it with. At the end of this year they will go for broke (or pretty close to broke) and I believe we will see some interesting stuff.
    06-27-12 08:35 PM
    I had an 8800, 8330, 9630, so that's my history...I really want BB to succeed. But I got a 249.99 Galaxy Tab 2 with Android 4 on it and I love it. It is just as smooth and fluid as the Playbook in my opinion, and I get Google maps, earth, gmail integration in the native android app which is awesome as well as access to 600,000 apps.
    Don't get me wrong, I want BB to succeed because i really miss the instantaneous notification crack- but I don't know how they can compete with Samsung & Apple.
    06-27-12 08:42 PM
    At the end of this year they will go for broke (or pretty close to broke) and I believe we will see some interesting stuff.
    I agree with your post.

But allow me the opportunity to make a very cynical comment: wasn't last year the year they were supposed to be going for broke, i.e., the actual launch of the Playbook.
    06-27-12 08:47 PM
    RIM, as you know it, won't exist by the end of the year. They are expected to report an operating loss at the close of the market tomorrow. The media slaughter will start on Friday and they will call this a death blow. Expect them to split and sell parts of the company while it is still worth something. For those who think they will just burn through all their cash in hopes for a comeback, its not gonna happen (their stockholders wont let them do it and watch their investments go down with them). Financial reality is about to set in. I'm sorry for those who are rooting for PB and QNX (include me at one point), but it's about to get ugly. I know I'm gonna be called negative, but it is business 101.
    06-27-12 09:07 PM
    RIM, as you know it, won't exist by the end of the year. They are expected to report an operating loss at the close of the market tomorrow. The media slaughter will start on Friday and they will call this a death blow. Expect them to split and sell parts of the company while it is still worth something. For those who think they will just burn through all their cash in hopes for a comeback, its not gonna happen (their stockholders wont let them do it and watch their investments go down with them). Financial reality is about to set in. I'm sorry for those who are rooting for PB and QNX (include me at one point), but it's about to get ugly. I know I'm gonna be called negative, but it is business 101.
    Dead and gone by Friday? Wanna bet?
    hpjrt likes this.
    06-27-12 09:15 PM
    sounds like pessimism 101 to me. No one knows the future. All we can do is enjoy the product we bought, make the best of it, and hope the best for the future. Blackberry Forever!!!!
    06-27-12 09:19 PM
    Well Google is probably going to market and advertise their product, so...
    06-27-12 09:20 PM
    Thanks for the opinion and now ill give mine.

Rim is not going anywhere and bb10 will hit the market as planned...next
    06-27-12 09:23 PM
    That's not what I said. I'd expect them to sell parts of their business (hardware, patents) and try to reinvent themselves, possibly as a messaging service in order to save the company. By the end of the year, they will be a different company. If they don't, they are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and their shareholders will lose millions.
    06-27-12 09:24 PM
    That's not what I said. I'd expect them to sell parts of their business (hardware, patents) and try to reinvent themselves, possibly as a messaging service in order to save the company. By the end of the year, they will be a different company. If they don't, they are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic and their shareholders will lose millions.
    Upon what are you basing your conjecture? It's easy to sit back and become a critic but it's much harder to put your opinions up against facts and business experience. I don't know what the future holds for RIM but I do think that despite the expectation of a loss this quarter (a loss that was openly admitted by RIM about a month ago - so it should come as no surprise to anyone) the company isn't in as bad shape as the Death Watch Patrol would have us believe. Their losses won't come anywhere close to those of Sony for heaven's sake!

For some reason the Death Watch Patrol (my name for all those who actively WANT RIM to fail - despite what they claim) has a bug up their behind about RIM and loves to focus on every negative perspective that some stock/business guru wannabe puts forth. Opinions aren't fact and there are lots of opinions that prove false.

Why don't we wait until tomorrow at least before anyone grabs a handful of dirt to toss on a coffin that isn't even on its way to the graveyard.
    jafobabe, ralfyguy and crazeee4u like this.
    06-27-12 09:53 PM
    I agree with your post.

But allow me the opportunity to make a very cynical comment: wasn't last year the year they were supposed to be going for broke, i.e., the actual launch of the Playbook.
    Yes they were supposed to be going for broke but I think they stopped themselves short of self destructing. If they had gotten phones out in the summer of last year, they would have damaged themselves terribly. Luckily phones were delayed, management switched, and it appears something new is happening.

At least this is what I hope the situation is. I do however believe RIM came pretty close to self destructing last year.
    06-27-12 09:58 PM
    Upon what are you basing your conjecture? It's easy to sit back and become a critic but it's much harder to put your opinions up against facts and business experience. I don't know what the future holds for RIM but I do think that despite the expectation of a loss this quarter (a loss that was openly admitted by RIM about a month ago - so it should come as no surprise to anyone) the company isn't in as bad shape as the Death Watch Patrol would have us believe. Their losses won't come anywhere close to those of Sony for heaven's sake!

For some reason the Death Watch Patrol (my name for all those who actively WANT RIM to fail - despite what they claim) has a bug up their behind about RIM and loves to focus on every negative perspective that some stock/business guru wannabe puts forth. Opinions aren't fact and there are lots of opinions that prove false.

Why don't we wait until tomorrow at least before anyone grabs a handful of dirt to toss on a coffin that isn't even on its way to the graveyard.
    RIM has a lot of coffins waiting for them... just one problem. They aren't dead...
    Dumb analysts...
    06-27-12 10:00 PM
    Dead by the end of the year? Wanna bet? They are currently spending one hellava lot of money on developing APIs and encouraging developers to make apps for BB10 launch. I attended the BBJam in Toronto last week and I have never seen so much optimism. I am so busy getting ready that I haven't had any idle time to spend in this forum lately. I have the feeling that I am not alone.

If RIM is getting ready to sell off assets and become a messaging service, they are really off base in putting so much effort in making BB10 as good as possible. I think you should wait just a little while before declaring that RIM "as we know it" is already in its death throes. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
    06-27-12 10:08 PM
    I just used a PB for the first time a couple hours ago and it felt solid. Just using it for some 40 minutes I noticed it was quick, reading online articles was snappy. I'm intrigued about this device (or a similar one) running bb10.
    06-28-12 12:36 AM
    The Playbook's problem is that it's not completed yet - RIM is still screwing around...
    ...That said the raw quality of the Playbook is light years ahead of any Droid tablet I've seen to date.
    ...You can tell just when holding the Tablets, comparing them.

If RIM can fix it's PDF reader and get some popular APPS functioning on the Playbook they would stop the bleeding....
    ...Also Bridge is WAY under sold - there just are not enough people that know what Bridge is.
    ...If RIM would have released their tablet with native email, netflix and skype they would be right behind Apple now.

RIM just needs to complete their Playbook and get the thing to the point people don't have to make excuses for it.
    06-28-12 12:51 AM
    The Playbook's problem is that it's not completed yet - RIM is still screwing around...
    ...That said the raw quality of the Playbook is light years ahead of any Droid tablet I've seen to date.
    ...You can tell just when holding the Tablets, comparing them.

Better than the Galaxy tab 7.7? Not likely
    06-28-12 01:56 AM
    there is no mention of any backside camera. is there a back camera on the google tablet? according to me, if rim gives the playbook a good operating system(which they are reportedly doing BB 10), playbook would be around for a long time to come.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    06-28-12 02:03 AM
228 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD