With the release of Google 7" tablet at a cost of $199 this will surely be the end of the Playbook. The only reason I got the play book was because of the cost but now why settle for the Playbook when you can get an Android?

Honestly the new tablet will be quadcore with 1gig of ram, how can the PB compete with Android? At least now the PB is small (personally I find 9" too large) and cheap but in a few months it won't even have that.

So this will be the end.
    06-27-12 12:02 AM
    Ummm ... why settle for an Android when you can get the Playbook.
    Seriously, have you used both? The Playbook OS is such a better experience and unless there's a very specific app you're targetting, the BB app store doesn't seem so barren any more.
    06-27-12 12:08 AM
    Thank you for your opinion and congrats on your first post here. Its a shame it has to be negative. I think the playbook will still be around and will only get better!
    06-27-12 12:09 AM
    With the release of Google 7" tablet at a cost of $199 this will surely be the end of the Playbook. The only reason I got the play book was because of the cost but now why settle for the Playbook when you can get an Android?

Honestly the new tablet will be quadcore with 1gig of ram, how can the PB compete with Android? At least now the PB is small (personally I find 9" too large) and cheap but in a few months it won't even have that.

So this will be the end.
    You join CB and your very first post ever, is to say that "this is the end"

Your credibility is profoundly lacking.
    06-27-12 12:16 AM
    Well thanks for dropping by to tell us our year-old tablets will be outpaced by a tablet from the future!
    06-27-12 01:00 AM
    Another new user with a time machine.... As Google has not even announce the specs for the Nexus which is being made by Austek..... unsure how the OP arrived at his position..... I see a refection in my BB pond and it resembles a troll.....
    06-27-12 01:05 AM
    Please obey the sign
    06-27-12 01:17 AM
    Ignoring the trolling aspects of all this, this is actually big news and I didn't know about it before reading this post.

Forget the tablet wars and focus on the processor for a minute.

According to this post: Nvidia's Kai will make $199 quad-core Android tablets a reality | News | TechRadar
    NVIDIA somehow came up with a super low cost quadcore processor which is why they can afford to price this rumored tablet at such a low price (And using some cheaper components). If other manufacturers start using this processor, it could be insanely detrimental to nearly every other tablet (And chip manufacturer) out there, regardless of the OS. We might even see an overall price drop in tablets because now, higher end models would need to sell at a lower price because the performance would be at par.

Of course, all this depends on whether this new chip does perform as well as any normal quad-core processor.
    Yasch22 likes this.
    06-27-12 01:30 AM
    Seriously Rotorwrench ?????

Last edited by jafobabe; 06-27-12 at 08:23 AM.
    bbfan1040, kbz1960, hpjrt and 9 others like this.
    06-27-12 01:46 AM
    Multiple cores = power consumption X # of cores = short batter life = always looking for a power outlet = the wrong kind of tethering!

There needs to be a battery messiah to save/rescue all the mega super mobile vaporware devices slated to come out any day now, real soon.

$200 for a 2 to 4 hour battery ain't much of a bargain...plus having your soul tethered to Google on top of all that? No Thanks. That's why this is written on a PlayBook.
    06-27-12 01:46 AM
    ....and if the rumors are true, a 1-year old tablet will still have more built-in storage than a new one costing the same. The rumors state that the $199 Nexus tablet will have 8GB of space. Not sure if there will be a microSD slot though.

Unless Google has done something with the audio capabilities in Android, forget about ever seeing Pacemaker for it.
    Willard814 and z1nsane like this.
    06-27-12 02:20 AM
    the new ipad needed a larger capacity battery to give its reported battery life as being equal to the ipad2.
    Remember you get what you pay for and @199 i doubt you will get a heck of a lot with the nexus.
    for 199 you will eventually get bb10 and THAT is something.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Willard814 and sf49ers like this.
    06-27-12 02:31 AM
    There will always be something new coming out. I'm excited to see where we are going and what us BlackBerry users will have in a year or so. Only time will tell, so jumping from platform to platform is not wise IMO.
    06-27-12 02:33 AM
    ....and if the rumors are true, a 1-year old tablet will still have more built-in storage than a new one costing the same. The rumors state that the $199 Nexus tablet will have 8GB of space. Not sure if there will be a microSD slot though.

Unless Google has done something with the audio capabilities in Android, forget about ever seeing Pacemaker for it.
    And our year old playbooks will likely still run circles around it for non-gaming tasks since, at the end of the day, Google's device will still be running Android - i.e. not the most efficient mobile OS out there.

To me, Android seems to be settling into a "Wintel" trajectory with regard to performance: Everything that "Intel" (in this case, Nvidia/ARM) giveth, "Microsoft" (in this case, Google) taketh away with the very next version.

No thanks...I'll stick with QNX.

RCK
    06-27-12 02:39 AM
    Hahaha good for you OP!! I dont care what specs my PB is now, all i know is my PB is working as I want to be.
    06-27-12 02:47 AM
    Multiple cores = power consumption X # of cores = short batter life = always looking for a power outlet = the wrong kind of tethering!

There needs to be a battery messiah to save/rescue all the mega super mobile vaporware devices slated to come out any day now, real soon.

$200 for a 2 to 4 hour battery ain't much of a bargain...plus having your soul tethered to Google on top of all that? No Thanks. That's why this is written on a PlayBook.
    The quad-core Tegra is known for its power efficiency
    06-27-12 04:01 AM
    I'm glad and like it that other manufacturers are putting out products with ever improving specs. Why? Because this also makes RIM make improvements. Competition is good and it benefits the consumer.
    howarmat, Willard814 and kennyliu like this.
    06-27-12 05:45 AM
    For those of you who mentioned battery life with multicore processors, you should know that the newer multicore processors are more efficient than the previous generation and the extra cores basically shut down when not needed. If the Nexus 7 gets anywhere near the 9 hours claimed it will get more time than my personal Playbook (YMMV).

I would wait to claim the Nexus 7 king already. It appears to be targeted more at the market held by the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, neither of which are considered "full" tablets. They are media consumption devices. I personally think this is a smart strategy for Google. They can expand the market appeal of the Nexus line a little at a time. It is going after the low hanging fruit to start. The screen, processor and memory all sound good. I really don't care about NFC but I do care about having a SD/microSD card slot, a GPS receiver and bluetooth. We don't know if the Nexus 7 will have any of these features. We do know Google left off the camera on the back to save money. What else is missing? We shall see.
    Willard814 and kennyliu like this.
    06-27-12 06:06 AM
    Remember you get what you pay for

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Unless you buy a PlayBook, then you get considerably more than you pay for
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-27-12 06:09 AM
    Well i have had the playbook since january and will switch to the microsoft surface tablet when it comes out for one simple reason, office, providing it's not stupid money.
    The playbook has no good office apps and i have tried and bought all of them out there.

I still like the playbook and will keep it for a spare machine, i tried docs to go but it will not open some of my spreadsheets i have.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-27-12 06:39 AM
    I love how specs are manipulated. Would you rather have a dual core running at 2.5 ghz or a quad core running at 1.2 ghz?
    06-27-12 06:52 AM
    Well i have had the playbook since january and will switch to the microsoft surface tablet when it comes out for one simple reason, office, providing it's not stupid money.
    The playbook has no good office apps and i have tried and bought all of them out there.

I still like the playbook and will keep it for a spare machine, i tried docs to go but it will not open some of my spreadsheets i have.

Me too. I have tried to make the playbook useful since I bought mine last November but it just comes up too short in office and productivity apps. I have gone back to a win7 slate which gives me a full blown win7 OS to use and I can tether via bluetooth DUN with my 9800 when I don't have WiFi. Much more productive.

Playbook is just for checking a quick email or hopping on facebook once in awhile at this point.
    06-27-12 07:30 AM
    Zzzzzzzz......
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-27-12 07:40 AM
    I bet OP works for Google
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-27-12 07:57 AM
    Seriously Rotorwrench ?????

Click to view quoted image
    Having seen the start of the thread last night, I was scrolling quickly to find where I left off to be GREETED by your picture (well, probably not a photo of you!!!) - I just started laughing - thanks!
    jafobabe and Willard814 like this.
    06-27-12 08:29 AM
228 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD