Hi,
    I just got PB & was wondering if theres a way to enable file transfer from PC without having to unplug then replug the USB cable i.e. tap the screen LOL

Thanks
    Col
    08-31-12 04:25 AM
    So you want to transfer files via usb, but you do something first that disables the link between the pc and the PB?

Even if you close the DM, the PB stills active as an usb flash drive, so you just should go the "My Computer".

Btw, have you tried Wifi Share? Thats the first thing that popped in my mind when i read your question...

But then again, unplugging and plugging again takes less than a second ^^

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-31-12 04:38 AM
    You shouldn't have to unplug and then replug your PB in. If you plug your PB in, the drivers should load and you should see your PB in My Computer on your PC and then you can just copy and paste. Or, you could transfer through wifi- try this-----

Originally Posted by F2
    Here's what I've captured on the subject:

WiFi Fileshare

once you have the wired connection set up go back to my computer and do the following (this is for windows 7, other versions should be similar)

before beginning, ensure your playbook and PC are both connected to the same wireless signal, and that "file sharing" and "wifi sharing" are both on in the storage & security tab of the settings menu

-just above the file explorer in the header or the my computer window there will be an option called "map a network drive"
    -click on it and in the new window that pops up select the drive letter you would like to correspond with your playbook's wireless connection (i used Z)
    -in the folder section you will type the ip address of your playbook followed by specifically locating the media folder. it should look as follows:
    \\111.111.1.11\media
    -replace the 1's above with the actual ip address of your playbook. This can be found in your settings menu, in the about section. there will be a dropdown menu in this section that has an option for Network.
    -once in the network section of the about tab you will find your ip address. it is the one referred to as IPv4. you can ignore the grayed out / and 2 numbers at the end. All you need it the number corresponding with the 1's showed above.
    -enter your ip address that you have now found into the map a network drive window and click ok. This drive will now be available in the my computer window.

your wireless file transfer is now setup
    08-31-12 04:39 AM
    You shouldn't have to unplug and then replug your PB in. If you plug your PB in, the drivers should load and you should see your PB in My Computer on your PC and then you can just copy and paste. Or, you could transfer through wifi- try this-----

Originally Posted by F2
    Here's what I've captured on the subject:

WiFi Fileshare

once you have the wired connection set up go back to my computer and do the following (this is for windows 7, other versions should be similar)

before beginning, ensure your playbook and PC are both connected to the same wireless signal, and that "file sharing" and "wifi sharing" are both on in the storage & security tab of the settings menu

-just above the file explorer in the header or the my computer window there will be an option called "map a network drive"
    -click on it and in the new window that pops up select the drive letter you would like to correspond with your playbook's wireless connection (i used Z)
    -in the folder section you will type the ip address of your playbook followed by specifically locating the media folder. it should look as follows:
    \\111.111.1.11\media
    -replace the 1's above with the actual ip address of your playbook. This can be found in your settings menu, in the about section. there will be a dropdown menu in this section that has an option for Network.
    -once in the network section of the about tab you will find your ip address. it is the one referred to as IPv4. you can ignore the grayed out / and 2 numbers at the end. All you need it the number corresponding with the 1's showed above.
    -enter your ip address that you have now found into the map a network drive window and click ok. This drive will now be available in the my computer window.

your wireless file transfer is now setup

I'm running Windows 7 and have file sharing and network discovery set up on the PC, as well as file sharing turned on on the Playbook. It's flaky though.. it can take a long time for the PB to show up in Windows Explorer under 'Network', and sometimes it never does.

It's actually faster connecting to the PC with my Playbook instead, using ES File Explorer or Ghost Commander's SMB/LAN functionality. I've set the PC up so it only shares certain directories with one account, and that's the account I connect with using the Playbook.

Only prob is ES File Explorer has a habit of crashing half the time when I do this, which brings down the whole Android Player, and then I have to reboot. Which is a hassle.

So I've decided to try it your way.. seems to be a better way to get the PC to connect to the Playbook. I'm not aware of any other way to get the PB to connect to PC other than what I've already tried, though. (short of direct USB connection that is)
    Last edited by BennyX; 08-31-12 at 10:43 AM.
    08-31-12 10:30 AM
    That's not my way, that's F2's way. I did a quick search for instructions on wifi sharing and copied and pasted in F2's method without really reading it. My way is to first go to the start menu on your PC (pic 1) then type in the search box \\192.168.0.101 (your numbers may vary) and then click the result that comes up (pic 2). After that, your PB media folder should show up Windows Explorer (pic 3). Then I right click on the \\192.168.0.101 in the address bar at the top and select "copy address" (pic 4). I then go to my desktop and click "paste shortcut". Subsequently, I can then access my PB by simply clicking on my desktop shortcut. The only problem occurs if you PB IP address changes-in that case I have to right click on the shortcut, choose properties, and then change the address in the "target" box.
    08-31-12 04:06 PM
    That's not my way, that's F2's way. I did a quick search for instructions on wifi sharing and copied and pasted in F2's method without really reading it. My way is to first go to the start menu on your PC (pic 1) then type in the search box \\192.168.0.101 (your numbers may vary) and then click the result that comes up (pic 2). After that, your PB media folder should show up Windows Explorer (pic 3). Then I right click on the \\192.168.0.101 in the address bar at the top and select "copy address" (pic 4). I then go to my desktop and click "paste shortcut". Subsequently, I can then access my PB by simply clicking on my desktop shortcut. The only problem occurs if you PB IP address changes-in that case I have to right click on the shortcut, choose properties, and then change the address in the "target" box.
    I actually used to do it that way.. before i wiped my PC and installed 64-bit Ultimate.. figured i'd try the passive 'network detect' method in windows, unfortunately it takes forever to detect the Playbook, if it does, at all.

No matter.. there's obviously better ways to connect to PC with PB, or vice versa. Always more than one way to skin a cat! lol
    08-31-12 04:51 PM
    Hi,
    I just got PB & was wondering if theres a way to enable file transfer from PC without having to unplug then replug the USB cable i.e. tap the screen LOL

Thanks
    Col
    Col you can also use free programs/apps like Dropbox and SugarSync and Skydrive etc to pick files up from one source and drop down to another.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 08-31-12 at 11:04 PM.
    08-31-12 06:16 PM
    And actually, I am really bad at giving credit, but as you will see, "it is what I captured..." that yet another person posted!

I've used a variety of methods. But I did finally establish a STATIC address on my pb so that the darn shortcut does not have to be edited. Having read how to create a static address on my pb, I followed suit and created one for my bb9930, too. It is so much easier doing it that way.

I've also tried the "Map network drive" idea that's been posted but that's been more hit or miss for some reason.
    08-31-12 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD