I have transferred a whole whack of emails in my gmail account from the Inbox to a sub-folder for an upcoming trip. I did this on my laptop, expecting they would also show up on my Playbook's gmail sub-folder. But they don't. And they are gone from the Inbox on the PB, not surprisingly. This could be a real problem as I need access to these emails while travelling cause I won't have my laptop with me then.

They do appear in the proper folder on my iPod so I suppose I could access them there, but I don't really want to have to use its small screen.
    08-02-12 05:05 PM
    It's a known issue, coupled with the 30 day limit make the native email client pretty much unusable at work place.
    08-02-12 06:04 PM
    ... and does the 30-day limit apply to subfolders as well?
    08-02-12 06:13 PM
    Can't you access any subfolders through the browser if need be, plus anything older than 30 days?
    08-02-12 06:28 PM
    My sub folders in my yahoo and hotmail were empty on my PB until I discovered that each folder needs to have the sync activated. If you see your subfolder, select it and there should be folder icon with a sync symbol inside it. Select it. But it only syncs files back the number of days you select to sync in the Advanced Settings of your Account setup.

However one trick I use is for each file I know I need but is too old, I open that email as if to forward. Instead of addressing anyone, I simply cancel or exit. The email asks if I want to Save a Draft and I select yes. Now I have the old email saved temporarily in the Draft folder for me to access as the saved date is recent.
    08-02-12 07:48 PM
    Can't you access any subfolders through the browser if need be, plus anything older than 30 days?
    I can only access files in subfolders that are less than 30 days old. In the past I got files into subfolders by moving them there on the PB, and had hoped by doing so I could get around the 30-day limitation. Not so. And if I move them on my laptop the transfer does not appear on the PB, even though they no longer appear in the PB's Inbox either.

This really makes the PB useless as a travel email device -- none of your prep emails remain by the time you go away.

BTW, my iPod's native email works just like email on my laptop.
    08-02-12 08:01 PM
    My sub folders in my yahoo and hotmail were empty on my PB until I discovered that each folder needs to have the sync activated. If you see your subfolder, select it and there should be folder icon with a sync symbol inside it. Select it. But it only syncs files back the number of days you select to sync in the Advanced Settings of your Account setup.

However one trick I use is for each file I know I need but is too old, I open that email as if to forward. Instead of addressing anyone, I simply cancel or exit. The email asks if I want to Save a Draft and I select yes. Now I have the old email saved temporarily in the Draft folder for me to access as the saved date is recent.
    I don't see anything resembling a folder icon with a sync symbol inside it. Where on the screen do you see it when you click on the folder?
    08-02-12 08:06 PM
    Did you understand what I was saying? Access you accounts, not through the Messages app, but through your internet browser. This should give you access to all folders and all emails no matter how old.
    08-02-12 09:08 PM
    Accessing gmail via the browser doesn't give access to anything but the Inbox, unless I'm missing something.
    08-02-12 09:54 PM
    For Gmail, just under "Google" in the top left corner, press the box with three horizontal lines, that will access your folders.
    08-02-12 10:21 PM
    Ah so. I didn't have flash and load images enabled (to speed up browser). But it's not a complete solution. It shows what is in my Travel folder but not in a subfolder of my Travel folder, which I created for my next trip. To access those, I have to open All Mail, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a subfolder. I guess the answer is to avoid nesting folders. Seems like the world is not yet perfect.
    08-02-12 10:39 PM
    Nested folders can be accessed in the other Email app included with the PB. Namely, "Email", which is part of the android runtime and can be accessed through Ghost Commander (or directly from the desktop if you siderload it). As I said, it sees nested folders, plus you can load more than 30 days of mail if you want. You'll also get notifications of received mail, but you have to manually open the app to read the mail- just clicking on the notification won't automatically open the app.
    08-02-12 11:36 PM
    Thanks. I had uninstalled Ghost Commander as part of a general housecleaning of Android apps (except Files and Folders and Dropbox). It's very much a second- or third-best solution, but if notifications and subfolders work, it beats what Rim has to offer.
    08-03-12 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD