Eveerryyy time i check my mail i have to deal with the message "Unable to connect to server, please try again". The mails do update, show and give notice. Though, it doesn't matter where i go, even at home on my home Wi-Fi network. It's there all the time.

Can someone please explain to me why this is happning?

And is there a way to not get that message? (Because im starting to really dislike my Playbook, thinking that BB can't do anything right). I use my mail 30-50 times a day, so you can see how this get's on my mind. This is supposed to be BB's strong suit.
    03-21-12 04:03 AM
    delete the wifi profile, and add it again. same happens to my pb when using airplane mode (twitter or gmail can't connect to server bla bla).
    03-21-12 04:06 AM
    You might need to configure the domain name as well under the email account settings.
    03-21-12 06:07 AM
    I have this problem with my work account when I'm not connected to WiFi but I don't receive email.

My Gmail account receives mail all the time.
    03-21-12 06:09 AM
    Happens to me... Facebook account is culprit, will no longer login to my account. No big loss though
    03-21-12 08:44 AM
    deleting and adding the profile as posted earlier helps.

in my case, a reset of the playbook proved to be useful.

let us know how it goes.

cheers.

---------------------------

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook via Tapatalk
    03-21-12 08:47 AM
    I deleted the naitive email off my Playbook, but when I was experiencing that problem, I think it may have been related to changing network connections. For example, when I go from bridged internet to wifi. I was using an email that is normally pop, but it looks like the PlayBook was using the providers webmail interface/port to get the mail.

It may be related to creating a secure connection and when the network changes, the connection is no longer valid. It was usually fixed by following the prompt that led to the email setup and selecting ok or save to reinitialize connection.
    metz9444 likes this.
    03-21-12 09:32 AM
    I deleted my email account and then re-added it again. That seemed to fix it cause I haven't seen that message again.
    03-21-12 09:52 AM
    I see that message all the time too.

Here's what I think is happening:

PB loses wifi, likely while in transit. It tries to connect to email server, but can't. Next time you open mail app, you see the message even though you're connected. Clear/delete the message and you'll be fine.

I think the message should be self-clearing when it connects again, but it just isn't.

Also, my email server is on my local network and we don't have a local dns set up. my work station clients use the IP address of the server to connect, but on the playbook I use the WAN mail server name. When I'm in the office, I get that message, which is expected. Also, when I'm at home and can connect to the server, that message remains even though I'm getting email updates. I have to clear it manually.

I hope that helps everyone figure out what's going on.

cheers
    Vee_G likes this.
    03-21-12 10:06 AM
    I deleted the naitive email off my Playbook, but when I was experiencing that problem, I think it may have been related to changing network connections. For example, when I go from bridged internet to wifi. I was using an email that is normally pop, but it looks like the PlayBook was using the providers webmail interface/port to get the mail.

It may be related to creating a secure connection and when the network changes, the connection is no longer valid. It was usually fixed by following the prompt that led to the email setup and selecting ok or save to reinitialize connection.
    This, exactly what happens. I hardly ever need bridge for Internet, usually have wifi everywhere I go. Yesterday I encountered the same situation as you mentioned.

Second time it ever happened bridge was on last time too.
    03-21-12 11:00 AM
    My Yahoo mail account keeps asking me for my password even when im on Wi-fi, its so annoying to be browsing or reading and to keep getting the password pop up every 5 minutes , something is clearly wrong with the messages app, why cant it be as easy and realiable as in the BB phones?
    03-21-12 11:24 AM
    It doesn't work. Tried that already. Actually had to do that because it started digging out mails further back so i suddenly had 200 unread mails..... That really pissed me off.

Thx though.

deleting and adding the profile as posted earlier helps.

in my case, a reset of the playbook proved to be useful.

let us know how it goes.

cheers.

---------------------------

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook via Tapatalk
    03-21-12 12:44 PM
    I deleted the naitive email off my Playbook, but when I was experiencing that problem, I think it may have been related to changing network connections. For example, when I go from bridged internet to wifi. I was using an email that is normally pop, ...
    The bridge connection does not allow access to POP nor to IMAP accounts, only to Exchange ActiveSync accounts. So maybe the problem is the change between wifi (when the mail servers are accessible) and bridged internet (when the servers are unavailable). The PB should be able to handle these transitions, but ... who knows?

... but it looks like the PlayBook was using the providers webmail interface/port to get the mail. ...
    That would astonish me, I believe that the PB handles only POP3, IMAP and EAS mail protocols. What led you think that a webmail interface was being used?
    03-21-12 02:22 PM
    That would astonish me, I believe that the PB handles only POP3, IMAP and EAS mail protocols. What led you think that a webmail interface was being used?
    Maybe they are thinking webmail, (even though it is really via EAS) because their Exchange Activesnyc server uses the same webmail https address as their OWA?
    03-21-12 05:17 PM
    It doesn't work. Tried that already. Actually had to do that because it started digging out mails further back so i suddenly had 200 unread mails..... That really pissed me off.

Thx though.
    Are you saying you deleted the WiFi profile, or your email profile?

I agree the problem occurs with loss of wifi, whether caused by bridge or changes in coverage.

For me to eliminate the server message for any extended period of time, I delete my email profiles, then re-activate them with only 1 day of history so I don't have to mark 300 emails as read.

I also set the pop3 email to snyc every hour so I save battery, and reduce the likely hood of a server error if I walk in a bad spot.

I have one pop3 and one Exchange Activesnyc account. I am wondering if there by chance the EAS and Pop3 try syncing simultaneously and that causes my occasional server error, when I have been stationary?

Also, if you're using the Conversation feature, you'll find that the server error message is attached to every conversation. I haven't had the patience to see what happens if I actually opened each thread and deleted the error message, whether everything would start working again.
    03-21-12 05:31 PM
    I posted this on another thread but I have been having the same problem though for me I ONLY am able to connect to my GMail when bridged and NEVER on WiFi. I have tried deleting and re-adding my wifi profile my email account and my patience and nothing seems to work. I have also tried setting up my gmail as EAS and IMAP. I really love my PB but I've had to give up and use the bridge email instead!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    04-12-12 06:33 PM
    It's really sad to see another failure on RIM's part. I mean Email??? Seriously? I really wanted to love this tablet and I had hopes (after owning the Original STORM, UGH!) that BlackBerry was finally getting it together with the PlayBook. I've owned several other tablets from Android that leave a lot to be desired as far as the OS and Hardware goes.
    But at least the EMAIL worked! C'mon guys! Get it together!
    04-13-12 04:09 PM
    I am experienceing the same problem, and the easiest is to shut down and restart PB. No need to remove/delete/re-create profiles or accounts. RIM, that is ********! WHY CAN'T EMAILS BE AS EASY AS IT IS ON THEIR PHONES!!!!
    05-02-12 09:18 AM
    Yeah, I have the issue too. Only way to get around it is to restart. And we all know how long that takes on the PB. Another issue.
    05-02-12 11:43 AM
    I've been having the same problem, with a twist.

I access Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo Bizmail email accounts from my PlayBook; only Bizmail gives me problems.

In addition to the not connecting messages, there are a cluster of four trolling emails that appear at approx 20 minute intervals around the clock, and have been for weeks now.

They don't appear in Yahoo webmail or Outlook; only in the PlayBook native messaging program.

I've tried deleting and adding back the account - still there.

Anyone else?
    05-02-12 10:07 PM
    Deleting my wifi network, rebooting the PB, adding in my network again, then adding email account finally worked. Thanks!

Good ol' CB to the rescue again. RIM and my IP couldn't help. I had done a search on CB earlier but must not have used good key words.
    05-12-12 06:53 PM
    I'm running 9 dedicated e-mail accounts on my PB 32G. It consistently fails to access my most important pop3 account, though it does usually handle all 5 my Gmail accounts, Twitter messages, and FB messages. Occasionally it fails with some of my other pop3 accounts and some of the Gmail accounts.

I contacted my pop e-mail host, who checked out their end, no problems they could see. My laptop and my iPhone have no problems accessing all the accounts consistently.

I've tried deleting the most offending account and re-entering it, but this doesn't correct it. Neither does re-starting the PB, nor turning it all the way off and leaving it for hours and then restarting it.

Still waiting for a reliable answer. Hope they fix this problem in the legendary OS 10 ... whenever it arrives, though it certainly should be fixed before that!

Other than re-setting, re-starting, deleting and re-entering the account, deleting and re-entering the wi-fi information (??), are there any other plausible suggestions?
    06-11-12 04:18 PM

Other than re-setting, re-starting, deleting and re-entering the account, deleting and re-entering the wi-fi information (??), are there any other plausible suggestions?
    You could try using the Android email app. You may not be aware of it, but it's already on your PB. You'll need to download and install Ghost Commander, a free file browser from app world to access and use it. It is not as convenient to use as Messages, but it does work.
    06-11-12 08:09 PM
    I am having the same problem. When I leave work I enable Airplane mode to save the battery. Whenever I am at my next location and turn off airplane mode I get the mail message. I may as well just shut the PB off each time. It really is a PITA!
    Matt
    07-20-12 09:53 AM
    I've had this problem for some time, but seem to have solved it by deleting my email accounts and then adding them again. It only takes a few minutes to do this, and I have had no connection problems at all over the past five days. All my folders and contacts were nicely recreated.

I hope this solves your problems too.
    07-20-12 10:45 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD