The elusive Google Maps 6.2.0 .Bar File found!! Sideload for the PlayBook !! See Channel C001CB4A1 for details!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-06-14 01:32 PM
    I hope this isn't an obvious question, but how do we download this? I tried the link in the channel, using my Q10 and it seems to be a site full of click bait. What do we actually click on? Is there a URL you can post, perhaps to you channel, but to a direct download link.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    03-06-14 02:11 PM
    Oohhh great because google maps on any browser just hangs the browser !
    03-06-14 02:30 PM
    03-06-14 02:32 PM
    Musta got lost in all those recent playbook updates I keep hearing about
    03-06-14 02:34 PM
    Help I am very illiterate when it comes to computers I need help with getting VUDU on my blackberry playbook
    03-06-14 02:58 PM
    Does it work any better than Bing Maps? The GPS on my playbook takes soooooo long to find my location.
    03-08-14 12:29 AM
    Lock your GPS in with Magellan first then leave Magellan running (locked in) behind in showcase mode and you will have no problems. You must gave a FULL GPS lock from a native App (Magellan is an example). Enjoy!

03-08-14 11:05 AM
    Google Maps is better than Bing, especially for wifi only models, in that Google allows you to cache maps for offline use and can be used to navigate while offline. Bing requires an internet connection to work. Whether Google is better than Osmand (free in app world) is a matter for some debate- I say that generally it's not. As for your GPS locking on, users here report widely different experiences- some get GPS locks very quickly, indoors or out, while others report great difficulty with their Playbooks. As to needing to lock on with a native app first, I don't think that this is true at all. Bing, after all, is native. You are, however, generally better off trying to lock on outdoors with an unobstructed view of the sky.
    03-08-14 02:36 PM
    The way you measure and monitor your GPS signal lock is choice. Magellan worked for me during testing. As said the choice of preferred Map Application for the PlayBook is debatable. In my opinion Google Maps is superior.

Last edited by PlayBook UK; 03-08-14 at 04:51 PM.
    03-08-14 04:32 PM
    Osmand has a couple of major advantages over Google Maps 6.2. First, Google only allows you to cache a total of 8 or 10 maps for offline use, each map being 10 miles by 10 miles square. Osmand allows you to download 8 to 10 maps for offline use, each map, for US or Canadian purposes being an entire state or province, and for Euro purposes, an entire country. Thus, comparatively, Google would allow you to cache an area about the size of greater London, where Osmand allows you to download much of the entire European continent (and the whole continent with Osmand's paid version).

Second, Google maps needs to be online to calculate a route for navigation. Osmand does not. In fact, if you stray off course for one reason or another when navigating a route, Osmand will recalculate your route on the fly.

Third, as to the offline maps I noted above, Osmand's offline maps generally have much greater detail than Google's offline maps (you can get greater detail from Google, but to do so can take a fair amount of effort on the users part).. The two attached pics show the difference in detail. They both show the same area about a mile from my house, in which is located both the liberty bell and Independence Hall- both very historically significant in the US and also both major tourist attractions.

The elusive Google Maps 6.2.0 .Bar File found!! Sideload for the PlayBook !!-img_20140117.png

The elusive Google Maps 6.2.0 .Bar File found!! Sideload for the PlayBook !!-img_20140116.png
    03-09-14 12:06 AM
    Viewranger . works with google maps bing maps open street maps and even has the ability to download for offline use
    03-10-14 01:20 PM
    Unfortunately the Osmand UI is atrocious... trying to enter locations is an exercise in frustration.
    03-12-14 06:38 PM
    Unfortunately the Osmand UI is atrocious... trying to enter locations is an exercise in frustration.
    Agree, Osmand is ok for an offline map, but for Navigation please!!!??

03-13-14 05:08 AM
    Osmand works fine for navigation. What free app (or paid, for that matter) works better (or at all) for completely offline navigation? As for entering a location into Osmand, i.e, entering a destination for navigation purposes, it's easy if you know how.
    03-14-14 11:47 AM
    Osmand works fine for navigation. What free app (or paid, for that matter) works better (or at all) for completely offline navigation? As for entering a location into Osmand, i.e, entering a destination for navigation purposes, it's easy if you know how.
    You've optimised your Osmand experience. It is a good detailed map and map search will find your destination. I prefer Google maps with choice of 3 routes, that take live traffic into account and so accurate arrival times.

03-14-14 12:54 PM
    Thats fine if you're bridged or tethered to your phone. And, if you are, then your phone probably has a navigation app of its own that is more accurate than than the playbook's, since your phone probably has aGPS as opposed to the playbook's GPS. For those not tethered, Google maps is largely useless without data.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-14-14 01:08 PM
    Yeah why did they make entering in an address so difficult? I still don't know how to do it!
    04-04-14 11:09 AM
    How do you do it?
    04-04-14 11:09 AM
    Help I am very illiterate when it comes to computers I need help with getting VUDU on my blackberry playbook
    Coulded find anything else, so here is one.
    http://apps.goodereader.com/android-...roid/?did=3648
    For sideloading apps on your PlayBook please look YouTube video's "sideloading. Bar one BlackBerry PlayBook " or check goodereader.
    http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook...-android-apps/
    P.S. I don't know or the app that proveded above is save... so it is your own risk and just saying.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:25 AM
    The elusive Google Maps 6.2.0 .Bar File found!! Sideload for the PlayBook !! See Channel C001CB4A1 for details!

Regarding the sideloaded Google Maps, I've discovered (thru Advanced App Manager) that it sometimes doesn't shut down, or even somehow activates itself when you re-start the PB. That's not fatal, but can often drain the battery if it's searching for your location.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-04-14 11:27 AM
    Regarding the sideloaded Google Maps, I've discovered (thru Advanced App Manager) that it sometimes doesn't shut down, or even somehow activates itself when you re-start the PB. That's not fatal, but can often drain the battery if it's searching for your location.
    Thanks for the information and checking this out.

04-04-14 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the information and checking this out.

Sure. I've always assumed it had something to do with Google Maps being sideloaded, vs. how it functions on an Android device. I used to have the same problem with the sideloaded New York Times app. Even after changing the settings to not permit automatic downloads, and closing the NYT app, I'd check the Advanced App Manager, and it would show the NYT app running.
    04-04-14 01:43 PM
    How do you do it?
    Depends on what you want to do. Thing is, there are a number of ways to enter a location in Osmand.

Scenario 1. You're in the middle of nowhere, and you want to navigate to Aunt Martha's house. You know where Aunt Martha lives and can locate her house on the map, but you don't know how to get there from here. Find her location on Osmand's map, then press and hold on this location. A box will pop up. Tap the box, and then choose "Set as destination". Give Osmand a minute, and Osmand will calculate a route for you and voice guide you there. Easy as pie.

Scenario 2. You're at home. connected to the net, and want directions to somewhere that you can't find on the map. Tap on search from Osmand's home screen (or in map view, tap the icon at the bottom left). Now, tap the house icon towards the top left of the screen. From here, tap the "internet" button. Enter an address in the space provided and then tap "search". Now tap on the result that shows, and from here you can either choose show on map or set as destination. If you choose show on map, you can then tap the box on the map that shows up and here set it as destination. Again, pretty easy.

Scenario 3. You're offline, and you want to navigate to somewhere that you can't find on the map. Here, things can get a bit dicey, because Osmand's data base is less than comprehensive when doing offline searches, and secondary streets in small towns may not be covered. Nevertheless, since this is a Google Maps thread, try searching for anything in Google Maps while offline. Anyhow, again choose search from Osmand's home screen. Now, again, tap on the house towards the top of the screen. Now, tap the region box, and you'll get a list of downloaded maps (you can only search downloaded maps while offline) Choose the appropriate state/province/country here. Now, tap the "city" box, and start typing the desired city/towns name in the box. Then either choose the proper town that shows as your typing, or, if none show up, finish typing the towns name and then hit the "Search village...." box. Pick the correct town from the result(s). Now, tap the "street" box, and start typing the street name. If the street is not in the dropdown list, its probably not in the database, and the best you'll be able to do is show another street from the list to get you close to your destination so you can search for it on the map. If the street is in the dropdown list, tap it. Now, for the building box, you'll probably not be able to set an exact address- instead change the selection from "building" to "intersecting street", tap the box, and choose one from the list. Here, again, either choose "show on map" or "set as destination". This sounds more complicated than it really is- do it a few times and it will seem pretty easy, and again, it's something (offline search) that Google Maps can't do at all.

There are other searches that can be accomplished offline- point of interest searches for gas stations, restaurants, etc, so I've really only scratched the surface here.
    VR6 likes this.
    04-04-14 10:52 PM
    Pacoman, you're awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:42 PM
26 12