I just purchased my second PlayBook on eBay from a seller with a very good profile and rating but have come upon an unfortunate surprise: the only application that appears to be resident is the web browser.

This particular PlayBook is the LTE 32 gig version and was advertised as being 'unlocked' which I found odd since I thought the LTE PlayBook to be carrier-agnostic anyway due to the fact that it's up to the owner to place the SIM into the device.

Everything went fine and normally with the initial setup and as I use it now to compose this thread I can vouch that the browser appears to work fine, but this is puzzling.
    I tried updating the OS since it's currently on a version previous to the current 2.1.0.1753 but it tells me that it has the latest software already.

I've just emailed the seller to seek an exchange but would be happier still if there is a simple fix that I can employ, which I'm unaware of.
    If anyone has any clues or advice to help me get the full OS including all the apps that are currently missing: I'd love to hear suggestions and instructions.

Thanks!
    09-17-13 09:23 PM
    go to security , sim card, if it ask you for a code, that mean its not unlocked. if its unlocked, its a software or hardware related issue.
    09-17-13 09:33 PM
    BerryWizard,
    My next step after receiving my PlayBook was going to be to get an AT&T account for it. I had planned on supplying the IMEI to AT&T but now have to get this OS and its mysterious missing applications issue resolved first.

I just checked as you instructed and was not prompted for any password. Don't know if this means anything since there's no SIM in the PlayBook yet.

Regardless of the locked or unlocked state: shouldn't the OS and all of its included applications be present anyway?
    If the seller had to modify the software in order to unlock it : could that be related to the missing components of the OS?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:54 PM
    A freshly wiped (security wipe) Playbook will only have the browser and, I believe, the Setup app. Typically, with wifi only models, you'll have an update available that will install the remaining apps. But, with the 3G/4G models, updates are controlled by the carriers. I suspect that if you go with ATT, an update will be pushed to your Playbook. You might want to check and make sure that ATT is an approved PB carrier
    MisterShark likes this.
    09-17-13 10:18 PM
    Did you try loading the leaked os for pb?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:20 PM
    Did you try loading the leaked os for pb?

Posted via CB10
    I'd avoid that like the plague. Those who have done so have found that their Playbooks have essentially been transformed into wifi only models.
    09-17-13 10:23 PM
    This happened to a PlayBook (16GB wifi) that I bought a few weeks ago, which was wiped and only had the browser installed. What I did was I went into Settings from the drop down menu and go into "Software Updates" and check for updates, install some MB's that was suggested and voila, all the other icons showed up.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:34 PM
    I had the same problem with purchased used Playbook 3G+.
    The only way to unlock the all menu icons is wipe the device with dedicated sim card inside.
    It is O2 sim for 3G+ version, for LTE maybe ATT.
    2.1.0.1753 upgrade for 3G+/LTE is currently possible only with leaked os but first you have unlock the all icons.
    Hope this helps.
    09-18-13 02:13 AM
    This happened to a PlayBook (16GB wifi) that I bought a few weeks ago, which was wiped and only had the browser installed. What I did was I went into Settings from the drop down menu and go into "Software Updates" and check for updates, install some MB's that was suggested and voila, all the other icons showed up.
    nhanken,
    Thanks for the advice. While connected to WiFi only the updates would not happen no matter how many times I attempted. Not sure what you are referencing when you mentioned 'MB's'. Can you let me know what that stands for?

A freshly wiped (security wipe) Playbook will only have the browser and, I believe, the Setup app. Typically, with wifi only models, you'll have an update available that will install the remaining apps. But, with the 3G/4G models, updates are controlled by the carriers. I suspect that if you go with ATT, an update will be pushed to your Playbook. You might want to check and make sure that ATT is an approved PB carrier
    pacoman03,
    Thanks for your advice (and thanks also to all who have contributed).
    You're assumption is correct: just the browser and the setup app is currently installed and present.
    I checked with my AT&T rep (on our corporate account) to be sure the PlayBook would be allowed and compatible on their network, and they also have me supplying the IMEI of the unit. The eBay seller also assured me that the PlayBook would work on AT&T.

You mentioned specifically to check if AT&T is an approved carrier: do you know os a web page that will have a list of approved carriers?

I have the order in for the AT&T SIM so I guess I'll find out soon enough if AT&T will provide the software update across their network that I need. That update certainly would not come down via my WiFi connection (as others here mentioned it would not).

Fingers crossed.
    09-18-13 08:01 AM
    Nerdberry and others have pointers to the leaked 2.1.0.1088 4G stored at Mega, which may be a full version with LTE radio files??

Download links for all BlackBerry PlayBook and Dev Alpha OSes

You need un unrar it to an exe and, after USB connection to Playbook and closing Desktop Software, execute it.
    09-18-13 09:47 AM
    I'm waiting on the delivery of my AT&T SIM and hope that performing the software update over their WWAN does the trick.

I'm hopeful but a bit skeptical at the same time when I think the process through. I would have thought that the update via WiFi would have caused the device to reach out to BlackBerry's servers and grabbed the download. Of course that was not what happened so I thought about how different that process could be when the PlayBook instead routes its request across AT&T's network:
    - Will this LTE PlayBook attempt to look for an update source somewhere on the carrier's servers since BlackBerry's servers (via WiFi) seem not to be the desired source for the download?
    - If the PlayBook does indeed look to the carrier for the OS update then what are the chances that an update is stored on AT&T's servers since they never adopted the LTE version of this tablet?

Fingers crossed.
    09-18-13 08:18 PM
    I meant Megabytes. But it seems like the LTE PlayBook versions are different than the wifi ones which seems lame if it relies on carriers for some basic updates.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 11:13 PM