Hi
    Maybe somebody knows if it is possible to use earphones with mic and remote control from Apple iPhone?
    My BB 9900 fully supports these earphones.
    Playbook does not want to use remote control (volume and play/stop)

Is it hardware or OS limitation?
    Chance to get this feature in the next OS version?

Thanks for support
    04-22-12 09:56 PM
    If you've tried it and it doesn't work you already have your answer.

It may or may not come in a future os update. I'd doubt it tho, as it's pretty unimportant compared to other more pressing issues.
    der_mit likes this.
    04-22-12 10:37 PM
    Your BB9900 is on OS 7.xx.. The Playbook runs on QNX OS 2.01.xxx .... Two different operating systems.

Right now the PB does not have the ability to use most or any of the iPhone accessories.
    04-22-12 10:44 PM
    No, they don't work. Not even the BB premium headphones.
    04-22-12 10:46 PM
    At list it would be good to know that it is NOT a hardware limitation and Playbook still has potentials
    04-23-12 08:34 AM
    I have a Samsung earbud headset with mic and volume controls that works fine with PB. I do not see a model number on it.
    Possibly, volume control on these headphones does not send commands back to PB
    Can you see volume screen on PB if you change volume remotely?
    Can you start stop song by these headphones?
    Apple iPhone headphones do this on BB 9900 but not on PB
    04-23-12 01:07 PM
    No. Volume screen does not pop up and there are no stop/start controls on this earbud set - only the volume buttons and the mic. But - it works!
    As far as I see your headphones do not communicate with playbook - they are fully passive

The question is still open - Do we have hardware or software limitation in Playbook to connect active wired earphones (with remote play/stop, volume control) like it is in iPhone headphones?
    04-25-12 09:22 AM
    Does anyone know if this will be address in BB10?

Playing music/podcast with wired earphones; using

Volume control thru the remote;

Ability to used with video chat without bothering others.

felt like putting this back up.
    03-01-13 07:19 PM
    Considering the controlling headphones have four segments on the plug and the PlayBook appears to have matching contact points, three on the sides, and one on the bottom (enough for left and right audio plus mono microphone input plus control signal), then an OS update may allow for remote control as long as there is firmware support. Perhaps an appropriate app taking advantage of this control is all that is needed.

When I look into the microphone slot, I can see a contact point at the top, one on the left a bit further down and then one on the right further down from that and then one at the bottom.

As to using iPhone attachments, Apple is notoriously proprietary in its designs so even if remote control support becomes possible on the PlayBook via the earphone plug port, the configuration from the apple earphones may be incompatible.
    03-01-13 07:44 PM
    Its seems that all the earphones out there are for A***e, or at lease all the good ones.

I hope that the new Blackberry phones don't have this problem.
    03-01-13 08:45 PM
    Its seems that all the earphones out there are for A***e, or at lease all the good ones.

I hope that the new Blackberry phones don't have this problem.
    I picked up some higher end BB earphones from the CrackBerry store and I must admit I am very pleased with them. I get a full range of sound and great clarity.
    03-01-13 09:45 PM
    I picked up some higher end BB earphones from the CrackBerry store and I must admit I am very pleased with them. I get a full range of sound and great clarity.
    I know it's not what you asked for but I've tried lots of combinations but I do have a favorite. We all have a set of headphones we prefer/love. I use the Jabra Street II connected by bt to my z10 or pb. You can connect whatever headphones you choose and have complete control over music and calls. It supports voice dial, and all music remote control.
    03-02-13 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD