View Poll Results: Are you happy to be an early PB adopter?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was worht it!

97 68.31%
  • No, I should have waited.

26 18.31%
  • I don't consider myself an early adopter.

19 13.38%
    I can see every here and there that people are saying about early adopters - you have overpaid. I don't feel this way. I have bought my Playbook the first day it was on sale in the UK. I was waiting for it, had the money prepared and went straight to the shop to buy the 32GB PB. I knew what to expect, I read about all the features and lack of them in advance and I was not put off. I was not missing native e-mail (I was happy with bridge), there were enough apps to keep me busy, but the PB system with native functions was exactly what I needed back then. I was not complaining, on the contrary, I was very happy!

After the upgrade to OS 2.0 it took me a while to appreciate the changes, now I actually use native e-mail and enjoy apps ported from Android (although I actually only use the ones from Appworld, this is enough for me). I have bought 64GB Playbook some time ago, as the prices are now excellent. But not for a moment I regretted buying the first one at the full price. I had too much fun with that, too many business trips with countless movies to watch, quick webbrowsing for something that was not worth turning the laptop on for, or reading newspapers online during breakfasts.

I don't know about the others (hence the poll), but I am happy to have bought the PB on the first day. It was worth the price, although I am of course happy that it is cheaper now. My months with it, before so many people owned tablets other that Ipad (which I don't resent, but don't like) are enough gratitude for me for being an early adopter. I wanted to sound it off, I hope you don't mind
    PatrickMJS and upsetter212 like this.
    12-31-12 05:56 AM
    yes for me. I use it daily to browse the web. I also use it when traveling a lot because the bridging is handy. in fact I am going skiing this week and taking it along. there is limited wifi at the resort area, but verizon has digital roam data services. so I will be able to bridge. not another tablet can do that.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-31-12 06:24 AM
    Not a day has gone by that since I purchased my 16g then 64g that I have regretted anything about them. I am on them all ways, they are with me all the time. Watch movies, surf the Web, text, pictures, videos, emails, games its all right here. And with the bridge I'm always connected. Rim has come out with every update they said they would and we have another one coming.
    Have a friend and co worker with and iPad who has not pick it up since the first month. I can say without a doubt that even with the 16g at full price, that I've gotten every penny back plus some.
    And more to come in 2013.
    robkd likes this.
    12-31-12 07:25 AM
    At the time I was fine with what I paid and still am. Do I wish I would've waited and got it cheaper? Yep
    donmateo and Vidge like this.
    12-31-12 07:33 AM
    No regrets, but then until the PB I was using my Palm Lifedrive daily. So needs were limited or so I thought. Lifedrive is in a draw and PB goes with me almost everywhere. Only one complaint why in the name of the IT gods do they still instead on the micro usb charger. I prefer the magnetic 3 point charger.
    12-31-12 07:40 AM
    It was spendy, but I'm definitely glad I did it
    12-31-12 07:43 AM
    IF it was not worth it.... I would be using a different tab right now....
    robtanz likes this.
    12-31-12 07:48 AM
    Absolutely!!!

Like the others who have posted above, the fun, the functionality, the ability to get at the interweb in such a portable handy way, h e c k yeah it has been worth it.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 12-31-12 at 09:55 AM.
    12-31-12 09:37 AM
    I was able to get rid of Internet service at my shop, so the $50/month saved paid for the PB. I don't regret it for a moment.

What upsets me is not that I paid a lot, but that this awesome device has been utterly devalued in the eyes of the public.
    12-31-12 09:57 AM
    An early-ish adopter - mine cost c.�400 as I get the VAT back (UK Sales Tax) as it was a company purchase

Yes it was overpriced, but I had a simple Business Case with a quick ROI (Return on Investment) so it was worth it for me (the PB paid for itself in less than 6 weeks)
    [I have varying mobility issues (especially carrying issues with anything heavy) and was having to take a laptop to a meetings in Central London to give PowerPoint presentations - due to the weight of the laptop I would often need to use a taxi to get home (c.�45-50) - sometimes I would have to take a taxi both ways (�75-80) - by having a pocket sized tablet that could connect to an HDMI screen/projector I was able to use public transport (usually both ways)]

Why did I pick the PB over other pocket sized tablets?
    • iPad too big & heavy (eg not pocket sized)
    • Android too insecure
    • Already a long-term BlackBerry user so lots of goodwill (though I got burnt re: the expectation of Skype from Day One!)

Yes, it was definitely worth it for me!
    Thunderbuck and Spencerdl like this.
    12-31-12 11:10 AM
    Definitely worth it to me. Use it every day and love it. I've watched the pb grow and change - no regrets whatsoever and I'd do it again.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-31-12 11:15 AM
    Absolutely worth it. It's been a joy being on this ride and my Playbook has become an intricate part of my everyday life. Bottom line: It was a BlackBerry tablet and I had to have it!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-31-12 01:02 PM
    I don't consider myself an early adopter.
    12-31-12 01:35 PM
    I don't consider myself one of the early adopters, albeit I did purchase before any updates. I've owned mine over a year, paid $299 and am more than happy with my purchase.
    12-31-12 02:07 PM
    I think the results will be skewed on this one. Only "happy" early adopters would be reading these forums till now.
    Last edited by godsend85; 12-31-12 at 02:25 PM.
    Vidge, FF22, CairnsRock and 1 others like this.
    12-31-12 02:12 PM
    I love my 9900 and my Playbook, but hate that we get no love from the big app devs. Somedays I wish I had gone iPhone and iPad, then I wake up screaming in a cold sweat and realize I was having a nightmare. I'll then pick up my playbook and everythings is forgotten.
    FF22 and ericrangel76 like this.
    12-31-12 02:39 PM
    I remain disappointed with mine, and I voted no, but I continue to live in hope that BB10 will change that and so I continue to keep, update and occasionally use the PlayBook though the Android Tabs get much more of my attention
    12-31-12 02:42 PM
    Definitely, paid $550 at first sale, $100 off.

Used it every day since August 2011.
    12-31-12 02:47 PM
    I bought the 16GB the first day, few month later another one at $350 then this summer a 64GB for $250. I must say all are working fine even the first I bought, so is a rather solid tablet for daily use as we use them. It almost replaced our desktop and laptop. I use mine for business, my wife for her daily stuff and my doughter mostly for games. I also have a 9900, my wife a 9810 and my doughter a 9800, and so I can say we are a very blackberry happy family!
    12-31-12 06:27 PM
    I've had mine for about 17 months and I'm not disappointed at all. I've used for school, work, and my own personal enjoyment. I use it everyday and with my Bold 9900 it's a great combination. It has definitely been worth the price that I paid.
    01-01-13 09:38 AM
    I bought my 64gb just about a year ago. I mainly got it to go along with my 9900 that is supplied by my job. I love the bridge feature. I travel a lot for my job. I keep TV shows and movies on the PB and via an HDMI cable I can connect it to the hotel room TV. Using the 9900 as a remote I can watch my content. It also comes in handy with the email app. I use this for my personal email while on the road. I paid $199 for mine and am overall am happy.

RIM needs to address a few major flaws. The included file browser, video browser and PDF reader are horrible apps. Since I use this for work the file browser and PDF reader are important. I of course have replace these apps with better ones. The video browser is a complete joke. Another issue is there are hardly any apps. RIM should seriously think about either developing them internally and giving them away or paying developers to create them. You will not sell more PBs if there is nothing for people to do with it. No Hulu or Netflix app is a major drawback. The final flaw is the apps on the phone don't run on the PB. This is also a problem. If I buy and app I want it on all my devices. There are apps I can get on my 9900 that are not available for the PB.

You can hate on Apple all you want however they have done some of this right. Buy an app and it is available on your iPad, iPhone and iPod. If RIM can fix some of these issues with BB10 they might have a chance. If not they will be the next Kodak.
    01-01-13 10:09 AM
    I like my PlayBook, but I paid $499+ tax for a 16GB model. Almost 2 years later, my PB still can't do what most other tablets can. I have a 64GB model now that I paid less than $200 for. My opinion was better of the PlayBook until I bought my 8 year-old daughter a new iPad with retina display for $499 and only they (after all these years) did I realise how bad the PlayBook actually is. Her Christmas present allowed me to see first hand how powerful the iOS is, how many useful apps there are, how fast the browser is, and how long the battery lasts on an iPad.

I am patiently waiting for BB10... but wow.... I really don't think the PlayBook stands a chance...even with BB10.
    01-01-13 10:21 AM
    Bought my 16G full price on release day in April 2011. Use it daily. Have some annoyances with it, but overall, positives outweigh the negatives.

Only piece of portable tech I have used daily, not even my work laptop gets as much use. Has basically paid for itself on the road for work, bridged through the phone, used for service work, telnet & remote communication from my work truck. Dropped it a few weeks ago and cracked the screen, still works perfectly.

Patiently waiting for BB10 implementation...

Cheers,
    01-01-13 10:45 AM
    I hope the answers to this question will change after BB10 is out...
    01-01-13 11:34 AM
    Development of worthwhile native apps stalled out some time ago. Appworld has become stale. My wife's android tablet works well and there's always something new and interesting to try out. Half the attraction of these devices is the learning curve and Playbook's plateau'd about 18 months ago. The tantalizing lure of the next big OS update rings hollow when I know that appworld remains a half vacant shell of what it could be. Its obvious Android is going to come out on top of the market share wars and its all because of the apps. Early adoption of Playbook has left me feeling boxed in. Going shopping for a Samsung Note. Too bad though. Playbook has lots of un-realized potential.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-01-13 11:56 AM
47 12