This is an early on review of the PlayBook by ZD Net and they hit the nail on the head,

"However, most of the technology world has already written off the PlayBook before it’s even available to the public."

Which can be found in it's entirety here,

Four pleasant surprises in the BlackBerry PlayBook | ZDNet

I also am tired of reading how Playbook compares to or doesn't to the iPad, the media has it in their minds that's the whole story. But, does RIM intend PlayBook to compete against iPad or carve out it's own unique niche in the Tablet field?

"While it is still incomplete from an app perspective (which is what most reviewers have latched onto),"

I completely agree that reviewers have made a non-issue an issue. It's the quality of Apps that are available is what needs to be important if you have a brain. But as many others have said, I don't need Apps on my laptop! Why would I care that much about Apps if my browser allows laptop quality web function?

"I was surprised to find that RIM has done a nice job with the overall experience of the product. It has none of the labored complexity of the BlackBerry OS. The experience is simple, intuitive, and ultra-responsive. It’s much more like a one-button Apple solution than the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach in Android."

Yes, yes, yes! Why does this reviewer see it and the others simply wish to sell controversy! Oh, yeah, money. Maybe they received a free iPad and didn't get their free PlayBook?

"So, my first impression with the PlayBook was a lot better than expected. I think RIM may have nailed the overall experience aspect of the tablet. That’s the really tough part, and if you don’t get it right — like Google with the first version of Android Honeycomb — then nothing else matters. The app issue is the second hurdle, but it’s easier to get over. RIM can quickly overcome that just by building some of its own key apps and getting a few key partners to participate (Amazon, Cisco, Citrix, EA Sports, etc.). Then, it can pitch ambititous app builders to get in on the ground floor on PlayBook

The PlayBook still has some work to do, and I’ll talk more about that in my full review, but for now I’ll give you four things have made the PlayBook a pleasant surprise and given it a chance to compete in the tablet race.

1. The word processor is superior
    2. Performance and responsiveness are excellent
    3. The UI is remarkably simple and self-evident
    4. The Web browsing experience rocks"

The Playbook is excellent right now and going to be fantastic when OS2 becomes released!!

If someone asks, 'Should I buy a PlayBook?', refer them to this post.

Michaelaw
    12-24-11 06:45 AM
    The UI IS "remarkably simple and self evident", the other tablets are a joke
    12-24-11 08:23 AM
    I agree. I don't understand why the iPad is always the measuring stick no matter what format the competing tablet takes.
    I realize they are popular and owners like them, after all what are you going to say after spending $500-$800 on one.

The Playbook is a different class of hardware. They should at least be compared to other 7" devices. When (if) Blackberry releases a 10" tablet compare that to the iPad.
    12-24-11 08:27 AM
    I agree. I don't understand why the iPad is always the measuring stick no matter what format the competing tablet takes.
    I realize they are popular and owners like them, after all what are you going to say after spending $500-$800 on one.

The Playbook is a different class of hardware. They should at least be compared to other 7" devices. When (if) Blackberry releases a 10" tablet compare that to the iPad.
    Blackberry Playbook, Release date April 19, 2011, $499

Apple iPad 2, Release date March 11, 2011, $499

Why shouldn't they be compared?
    12-24-11 08:33 AM
    Blackberry Playbook, Release date April 19, 2011, $499

Apple iPad 2, Release date March 11, 2011, $499

Why shouldn't they be compared?

pizza $5

hamburger $5

CerveloJohn and AggreX like this.
    12-24-11 08:41 AM
    On Nov 15 2010, (5 months before launch)RIM produced a YouTube video inviting everyone to compare the playbook to the IPad. Why would anyone say they shouldn't be compared?

RIM asked people to compare them head to head, so they do.
    12-24-11 08:43 AM
    12-24-11 08:44 AM
    Exactly! I mean, why would anyone dare complain about a device for which they paid $500 - $800? That would never happen (as long as we exclude the PlayBook).

On Nov 15 2010, (5 months before launch)RIM produced a YouTube video inviting everyone to compare the playbook to the IPad. Why would anyone say they shouldn't be compared?

And here it is. I guess RIM should have heeded the old adage that tells us all to "be careful for what we wish for. . ."

12-24-11 08:56 AM

I'm with you, but IMHO, regardless of PB being 7 or 10, the hardware and OS are a different class of Tablet is my point. Personally for me, I much prefer any Tablet in a 7 inch size. I owned a Xoom 10.1 since July and it was really too much to tote around, too heavy to hold by hand for long. The 7 inch to me is ideal for taking out in public, I actually haven't seen any 10 inchers out in public, I have seen netbooks.
    Michaelaw
    12-24-11 09:34 AM

Because we know better!
    12-24-11 09:36 AM
    Good review. The UI is indeed spectacular on the PB.
    12-24-11 10:13 AM
    Good review. The UI is indeed spectacular on the PB.
    Just one of the reasons why I got two PBs and patiently waiting for more QNX devices
    12-24-11 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD