So I bought a PB on launch day loved the hardware and software, but had a lot of weird issues and missing functionality in the software.

If I were to go pick another one up now that there's been a slew of new updates? Would you say things are a lot better now?

One of my main issues was how SLOW the browser was.. is that fixed?
    06-28-11 05:11 PM
    My browser was never slow. It's even faster now.
    06-28-11 05:14 PM
    No. I would stay away if I were you.

The Playbook is a great device and is getting better almost weekly. However, there will undoubtably be a thing or two or three that you won't like about it yet, and you'll likely return it again.

You should wait at least six months.
    06-28-11 05:19 PM
    Get it now. Enjoy it now. Every update unleashes more of the potential of what is already a fine device. The bridge browser -if you have that capability- is very impressive.

I've only used my lap top once in two weeks and that was to back up my PB.
    06-28-11 05:28 PM
    I'm in the same boat but I'm waiting for the ndk to be released & see where development goes. If decent apps start to arrive I'll buy another, if not I won't. Its down to developers I guess. If they do some good things I'll get back in prob in 6 months or so, unless something groundbreaking (or price drops) make it attractive sooner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-28-11 at 05:30 PM.
    06-28-11 05:28 PM
    Get it. Do it Do it.
    missing_K-W and Erievon like this.
    06-28-11 05:29 PM
    Get it. Do it Do it.
    Kevin, did you get us a CB box for the next NHL season?
    06-28-11 05:33 PM
    I currently have the Galaxy Tab 10.1.. and that's what i'll be exchanging for a PB.. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has amazing hard ware as well.. but Honeycomb is probably one of the most boring OSes i've used. And there's really not much to do on Honeycomb either. And Flash videos in the browser were hroribly slow/laggy.
    06-28-11 05:45 PM
    I currently have the Galaxy Tab 10.1.. and that's what i'll be exchanging for a PB.. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has amazing hard ware as well.. but Honeycomb is probably one of the most boring OSes i've used. And there's really not much to do on Honeycomb either. And Flash videos in the browser were hroribly slow/laggy.
    i check it out at bestbuy aswell.it cant compete with our PB period.
    06-28-11 05:56 PM
    Despite Kevins prodding.. IMO, if you were to get one now you'd just end up returning it again. Not that much has changed since the initial release. Yes, the browser does seem faster and in many ways BlackBerry Bridge is faster but it's still ultimately the same device with very few changes to justify a re-purchase.
    06-28-11 05:58 PM
    You won't return it again. Far too useful. It's almost a replacement for a lap top.
    06-28-11 06:23 PM
    There have been no major changes or additions.

You'll probably end up returning it again.

Wait another 6-8 months and see where development for it goes.
    06-28-11 06:24 PM
    If you returned it once you will want to again. I don't think or hope it won't take 6 to 8 months. Just keep an eye on here and you'll see when the things you returned it for are now there.

But if all you care about is the bridge browser users are saying it's much better now then at launch. If you knew someone with one and they would let you hook up your bb to it that would be the best test for you.
    06-28-11 06:30 PM
    Yeah, if you returned it once, I would say you need to wait until after at least summer releases (native email, pim etc) and/or even until fall releases (android player, ndk etc).

06-28-11 06:30 PM
    So I bought a PB on launch day loved the hardware and software, but had a lot of weird issues and missing functionality in the software.

If I were to go pick another one up now that there's been a slew of new updates? Would you say things are a lot better now?

One of my main issues was how SLOW the browser was.. is that fixed?
    I would recommend waiting as RIM has not added much to it yet.

Tim
    06-28-11 06:37 PM
    Get it. Do it Do it.
    Kevin, what has improved on the PB to make such a statement?

Tim
    06-28-11 06:38 PM
    Everything has improved, dam the bridge is so good i'm watching youtube in the car whilst google maps is finding me the nearest store we need to goto, whilst typing on crackberry...

06-28-11 06:48 PM
    Seems like a lot of folks trying to make themselves feel better about missing out on the fun.

Sent from my very excellent Playbook.
    06-28-11 06:51 PM
    Despite Kevins prodding.. IMO, if you were to get one now you'd just end up returning it again. Not that much has changed since the initial release. Yes, the browser does seem faster and in many ways BlackBerry Bridge is faster but it's still ultimately the same device with very few changes to justify a re-purchase.
    I hate to disagree with a forums manager for fear of being banned, but OP returned it because of "weird issues and missing functionality" not lack of apps, native email, BBM, autocorrect, copy paste in apps or the other common complaints.

The weird issues and missing (basic?) functionality have been greatly improved or fixed in the last two updates. When I bought mine it was basically useless because of basic functionality like the "back" button in the browser and freezing up for example. There are no longer browser freezes etc. Basic stuff works like you would expect.

But if you consider those features listed above (lack of apps, native email, BBM, autocorrect, copy paste in apps) to be "missing functionality" then I suggest waiting another 60 days.....

I'm going with Kevin on this one. Get it. Either wait now with it in your hands, or wait until later without it on your hands. - same device regardless of how long you wait..
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-28-11 at 07:18 PM.
    BrokenSaint likes this.
    06-28-11 07:15 PM
    i have both. the 10.1 is light years ahead of the PB on every dimension, except the Pb has slightly better speakers, and the Pb's screen is on par. There are tons more apps compared to Pb. i dont know about flash video per se, but the 10.1 browser loads quickly every time, no freezes like on Pb. i also dont know what a "boring os" is, but i kind of like live wallpaper and widgets. Spell check works, everything just works. Sorry, facts are facts.
    06-28-11 07:20 PM
    Everything has improved, dam the bridge is so good i'm watching youtube in the car whilst google maps is finding me the nearest store we need to goto, whilst typing on crackberry...

Multitasking while driving - I'm wondering which you will crash first - the Playbook or the car....
    06-28-11 07:20 PM
    i have both. the 10.1 is light years ahead of the PB on every dimension, except the Pb has slightly better speakers, and the Pb's screen is on par. There are tons more apps compared to Pb. i dont know about flash video per se, but the 10.1 browser loads quickly every time, no freezes like on Pb. i also dont know what a "boring os" is, but i kind of like live wallpaper and widgets. Spell check works, everything just works. Sorry, facts are facts.
    Posts like these always beg the question .. so why do you keep the Playbook and why do you hang out in Playbook interest forums?
    06-28-11 07:23 PM
    Kevin, what has improved on the PB to make such a statement?

Tim
    Perhaps he is a man of vision and patience who sees what WILL improve? Stretching his neck a little taller than the trees of native email etc. and can see the forest? Just a guess, don't mean to speak for him.
    06-28-11 07:25 PM
    Posts like these always beg the question .. so why do you keep the Playbook and why do you hang out in Playbook interest forums?
    Not to engage in false love. The pb is a device, forums are a place to discuss said device. i have made positive and negative posts, always truthful. I really hope the pb gets better, but to imply that someone should buy the pb in its current state over the galaxy, well thats just a disservice absent some special situation.
    06-28-11 07:31 PM
    I say keep waiting. Hasn't improved enough yet. Maybe Kevin knows something we don't? Stay tuned...

06-28-11 07:38 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD