I have two questions:

Can someone give me a general over view of reading books on playbook?

what is my best option if I want to be able to read an ebook i buy on two different playbooks now and on future versions ie. 2.0 and BBX and possibly also on my mac?
    12-02-11 09:33 AM
    The native Kobo app is all you'll need.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-02-11 09:35 AM
    As I have posted in another thread, I love using Book Reader..a the developer support is great, and the functionality keeps on getting better. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

gail
    mithrazor likes this.
    12-02-11 09:44 AM
    Kobo and Amazon here (Cloud Reader on 1.08 and Android app on 2.0) and I'm reading two books right now, one on each platform. ^^
    12-02-11 11:43 AM
    Beta 2 (some like, some don't - not complete) has added some additional aspects to reading on the pb from what I've read.

Kobo comes on it. Some like it but you can only read books purchased from them. You cannot load any freebies you acquire from other sources.

Kindle Cloud works in a fashion but is not fully complete.

You may or may not be able to read certain pdf books in the pb's pdf viewer. It will not save your place.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-02-11 11:58 AM
    As I have posted in another thread, I love using Book Reader..a the developer support is great, and the functionality keeps on getting better. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

gail
    agreed! it's all i use for reading...
    12-02-11 01:15 PM
    You can read books downloaded from amazon with book reader?
    12-03-11 10:06 PM
    You can read books downloaded from amazon with book reader?
    Generally, NOT. They contain DRM - that is they are encoded for use on Kindles or kindle apps. You'd have to be able to remove the drm.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-03-11 11:38 PM
    i prefer my ereader, backlit screens kill my eyes after a while!
    12-04-11 11:12 AM
    i prefer my ereader, backlit screens kill my eyes after a while!
    Me too! I have Bookreader on my pb though - great for cookbooks & picture books for my 2 year old granddaughter!
    12-04-11 11:17 AM
    I use my sony ereader when light conditions are bright, but the PB when reading in bed or when it is not bright. By setting the brightness down, I don't have a problem with the PB screen, in fact it is easier to read in reduced light situations than the e-ink device. The night screen available from some of the epub reader apps is also kind of neat.
    12-04-11 11:27 AM
    Here is a more complete overview: The Kobo reader, which is native to the PB OS will only read books that you download from the Kobo store. You can read books you purchase from Amazon via their Cloud Reader.

If you have your own non-DRM ebooks, then there are several apps available that will read them. The best are Book Reader and Play Epub.These readers will NOT read DRM encrypted ebooks. If you have non DRM ebooks that are not in epub or mobi format you can use shareware program Calibre to convert them. There are at least two different webistes that will sell non DRM ebooks: Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page and The lowest price of eBook & Audiobook collections. - Bearlib.com I hope you enjoy reading on your PB as much as I do!
    Last edited by wms3; 12-04-11 at 11:34 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-04-11 11:32 AM
    I love my playbook but am soooo sad not to be able to read library books. Is there any hope of the overdrive and kindle apps being available for playbook?
    12-26-11 10:07 AM
    Hopefully when OS 2 comes out in Feb, you can run the Android Overdrive app
    12-26-11 10:09 AM
    sorry, not that familiar with android yet, what does the overdrive app do?
    12-26-11 10:34 AM
    Overdrive is the app that allows you to read encrypted library books. It runs under Android.
    12-26-11 10:48 AM
    I love my playbook but am soooo sad not to be able to read library books. Is there any hope of the overdrive and kindle apps being available for playbook?
    Kindle - http://read.amazon.com (use portrait mode).
    12-26-11 03:59 PM
    The Kindle cloud reader works right now, you access it via your browser. After we get OS2, you should be able to use the Android Kindle, Overdrive, Netflix, etc on your Playbook.
    12-26-11 06:56 PM
    download the ebook reader from app world,it can read ebooks in the kindle format.download the kindle reader for windows pc on your latop,download your ebook purchases from amazon on your kindle reader on your pc,connect your pb via the desktop manager and click and drag your ebooks from your pc on to your pb.import your ebooks onto your ebook reader on your pb.
    12-27-11 12:44 PM
    what about encryption?
    12-27-11 12:55 PM
    Yeah, I struck out, too. 'Unfortunately Book Reader does not support such books.' (DRM encryption).

What to do?
    12-27-11 02:54 PM
    My vote is Amazon Kindle app for Android.
    12-27-11 02:57 PM
    the only way to read encrypted books is to use the Amazon cloud reader. If the books are encrypted epub you will have to resort to software to remove the DRM encryption.
    12-27-11 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD