I've read several threads about ripping paid for movie DVD's using ripping software on a windows PC then transferring them to a PlayBook.

But I've yet find any of the mentioned software to work.

Is there anyone here personally experienced with software, paid or unpaid. My guess is that some of the suggestions have been from those passing on rumors and not truly using the software.

I run windows 7 on my PC.

FINDINGS: This has to be the best thread about DVD's to PC to Playbook, due to the many varied suggestions.

I did One so far using Freemaker, an older hbo film called something the lord made, have it on my playbook and successfully run thru for three minutes and now I'm doing the adventures of baron munchausen. After that I'll install format factory and do the same two videos, I'll eventually retry handbrake on my windows PC , maybe it will work, I wonder if it is being lauded by Apple users but on win its no good?

I did Baron Munchhausen with Freemaker and the audio came out in Italian or something! ha, ha, Great video. I sent an email to Freemake for assistance.

FactoryFormat failed on Baron Munchausen, the first movie file it failed to convert, then saved all individual movie files separately. Not even close.

Final Update:
    I'm stopping my search because thanks to the contributions here in this post.

Freemake Video Converter, is doing a superb job of ripping the DVDs I bought for personal use and plan to use on my home pc, laptop and on my blackberry 9810 plus my playbook.

It is free but accepts donations, of which I will be doing, I reboot my windows 7 / Acer laptop before hand.

Here's the video showing how to rip, Rip DVD Free | DVD to AVI, MP4, WMW, MKV, MPEG

The website is, Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software

Apparently it's from a British company as there it is legal to rip your personal dvd movies for personal use, that's brilliant!

After the movie is located and it's 'window' appears, I click on mp4 and there on that window you can drop down the audio and select language if movie is in multiple languages, or make other mods.

Bravo Freemake! And many thanks to poster, cdeviney.
    Last edited by mawil1013; 10-01-12 at 07:56 PM.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-29-12 06:31 PM
    Tools4movies.com. They have catalyst4 that you download. It costs about $9.95. Then you open the programme put in your dvd and set it to playbook device. It's really worth the money. I've converted eight dvd movies. Easily best programme for converting and ripping.
    Hope this helps you.
    09-29-12 07:24 PM
    Tools4movies.com. They have catalyst4 that you download. It costs about $9.95. Then you open the programme put in your dvd and set it to playbook device. It's really worth the money. I've converted eight dvd movies. Easily best programme for converting and ripping.
    Hope this helps you.
    Txs, your doing standard commercial movie DVD's you bought?
    09-29-12 07:33 PM
    Yes that is correct. It rips and converts for play on PB or any device. It has settings for all makers. I've done the Batman movies, kids movies and others.
    09-29-12 07:40 PM
    Handbrake. It is free, used by huge numbers of people, and I have used it for years on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

HandBrake
    Wasp14 likes this.
    09-29-12 07:43 PM
    Free Video Converter| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD| FREE Download

It is free.

Click DVD at the top...it will read your DVD and decide what file to use (be patient...this can take a couple of minutes of searching), click OK. Check to see if there is a British flag (English language) and turn subtitles on if you want them on when you watch the movie.

Click MP4 at the bottom (use the left/right arrows to scroll), choose Custom, and use the following settings:

Frame Size = Original
    Adjustment = Original
    Video Codec = H.264
    Bitrate = 29.97
    Bitrate Type = Auto
    Bitrate = 0 Kbps
    Custom Audio
    Audio Codec = AAC
    Channels = Stereo
    Sample Rate = Original
    Bitrate = Auto

Click OK. Enter where to send the output file and the filename.mp4. Click 'convert'.

Each hour equals about 1GB. This is how I have converted all of my DVDs so I can play them through a ROKU from a hard drive. These files seem to work just fine on the Playbook. You can try one of your DVDs for a test.

Someone else probably has something that will make the files smaller, but they may not look good if output to a TV via HDMI if they are too small. (i.e. you could change the frame rate to something smaller than 'original')
    Last edited by cdeviney; 09-30-12 at 07:22 AM.
    esk369 and anon(55900) like this.
    09-29-12 07:48 PM
    Yes that is correct. It rips and converts for play on PB or any device. It has settings for all makers. I've done the Batman movies, kids movies and others.
    Wow, thanks
    2010GOLD likes this.
    09-29-12 07:52 PM
    I use Format Factory. It's free and pretty much converts any to any format.

Format Factory Home Page - Free media file format converter
    09-29-12 08:11 PM

It is free.

Click DVD at the top...it will read your DVD and decide what file to use (be patient...this can take a couple of minutes of searching), click OK. Check to see if there is a British flag (English language) and turn subtitles on if you want them on when you watch the movie.

Click MP4 at the bottom (use the left/right arrows to scroll), choose Custom, and use the following settings:

Frame Size = Original
    Adjustment = Original
    Video Codec = H.264
    Bitrate = 29.97
    Bitrate Type = Auto
    Bitrate = 0 Kbps
    Custom Audio
    Audio Codec = AAC
    Channels = Stereo
    Sample Rate = Original
    Bitrate = Auto

Click OK. Enter where to send the output file and the filename.mp4. Click 'convert'.

Each hour equals about 1GB. This is how I have converted all of my DVDs so I can play them through a ROKU from a hard drive. These files seem to work just fine on the Playbook. You can try one of your DVDs for a test.

Someone else probably has something that will make the files smaller, but they may not look good if output to a TV via HDMI is they are too small. (i.e. you could change the frame rate to something smaller than 'original')
    I'm trying it out right now since it was free, Txs!
    09-29-12 08:13 PM
    I use Format Factory. It's free and pretty much converts any to any format.

Format Factory Home Page - Free media file format converter
    Excellent, I'll compare it the freemaker. Txs!
    09-29-12 08:14 PM
    Hope that you will post your findings after comparing the various programs?
    09-29-12 08:22 PM
    Hope that you will post your findings after comparing the various programs?
    Yes I will.
    09-29-12 08:28 PM
    I use wondershare video converter ultimate it will convert almost any file to any file type. It also has a preset for the playbook and many other devices so even a beginner can use it. It also does screen capture video record, used for capturing rented movies from netflix.
    It does cost a few bucks but works great.

See the attached photo.
    Last edited by kretch; 09-29-12 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add
    09-29-12 08:28 PM
    Handbrake. It is free, used by huge numbers of people, and I have used it for years on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

HandBrake
    Another vote for Handbrake. As a Mac user it's my go to app for ripping/converting into what I want. It's also make it for Windows and Linux.
    09-29-12 11:53 PM
    Also vote for Handbrake.
    If English is not your native language, then you can also rip the subtitle to the movie.
    On the downside though, the subtitle will be included in the movie frame, but that's not a problem for me.

Sent from my Bold 9900 using.. wait for it.. CrackBerry Forum App! Thanks to Tapatalk
    09-30-12 12:09 AM
    This has to be the best thread about DVD's to PC to Playbook, due to the many varied suggestions. I did One so far using Freemaker, an older hbo film called something the lord made, have it on my playbook and successfully run thru for three minutes and now I'm doing the adventures of baron munchausen. After that I'll install format factory and do the same two videos, I'll eventually retry handbrake on my windows PC , maybe it will work, I wonder if it is being lauded by Apple users but on win its no good?

Edit: I'm copying this to my original post to ease finding findings!
    Last edited by mawil1013; 09-30-12 at 09:34 AM.
    09-30-12 06:52 AM
    I tried Handbrake when I first got the ROKU...that program was too smart for me...tooooo many settings.
    09-30-12 07:05 AM
    I've read several threads about ripping paid for movie DVD's using ripping software on a windows PC then transferring them to a PlayBook.

But I've yet find any of the mentioned software to work.

Is there anyone here personally experienced with software, paid or unpaid. My guess is that some of the suggestions have been from those passing on rumors and not truly using the software.

I run windows 7 on my PC.
    Hi mawil

I've posted a number of times re: this topic - I use AoA DVD Ripper and it works fine. I have been playing digitised copies of my DVDs on the PB for over a year now. (Search my posts for more details)

If you want HD-ish quality for outputting to a big screen (eg tv in hotel room via HDMI) then I recommend copying as h264 at the highest quality (most movies are then 1.5-2Gb)

In the UK it is explicit in law that you CAN digitise the DVDs that you already own, as long as the digitisation is for your own use (for playing on another platform, etc)

Hope this helps

Alex
    09-30-12 07:05 AM
    When I tried to use Freemaker to convert a DVD folder, it made a new video file for each chapter. Is there a setting to fix that?
    09-30-12 05:18 PM
    Hi mawil

I've posted a number of times re: this topic - I use AoA DVD Ripper and it works fine. I have been playing digitised copies of my DVDs on the PB for over a year now. (Search my posts for more details)

If you want HD-ish quality for outputting to a big screen (eg tv in hotel room via HDMI) then I recommend copying as h264 at the highest quality (most movies are then 1.5-2Gb)

In the UK it is explicit in law that you CAN digitise the DVDs that you already own, as long as the digitisation is for your own use (for playing on another platform, etc)

Hope this helps

Alex
    Is the price paid every year like dvdfab or a one time fee with updates?
    09-30-12 05:32 PM
    When I tried to use Freemaker to convert a DVD folder, it made a new video file for each chapter. Is there a setting to fix that?
    See message #6 in this thread.

"Click DVD at the top...it will read your DVD and decide what file to use (be patient...this can take a couple of minutes of searching), click OK."

The program puts a check mark next to the one file that is the movie. Don't check all of the files.

That is how it has worked for me on all the DVDs I have converted.
    09-30-12 06:21 PM
    I use the paid app Xilisoft DVD Ripper....

and if I download movies I allways convert them with Xilisoft Video Converter...

Never had problems
    10-01-12 06:03 AM

It is free.

Frame Size = Original
    Adjustment = Original
    Video Codec = H.264
    Bitrate = 29.97
    Bitrate Type = Auto
    Bitrate = 0 Kbps
    Custom Audio
    Audio Codec = AAC
    Channels = Stereo
    Sample Rate = Original
    Bitrate = Auto

Someone else probably has something that will make the files smaller, but they may not look good if output to a TV via HDMI if they are too small. (i.e. you could change the frame rate to something smaller than 'original')

AAC Audio codec works now?
    10-01-12 06:53 AM
    AAC Audio codec works now?
    As far as I know AAC has always worked. AC3 does not.
    10-01-12 02:23 PM
    Is the price paid every year like dvdfab or a one time fee with updates?
    Hi mawil

I paid a one time fee (about 5 years ago - purchased a bundle of 5 utilities from AoA - DVD Ripper was part of the bundle)

Have had free updates ever since (you just get a username and id code for each utility - have to re-enter these details every time you update a utility)

Hope this helps

Alex
    10-01-12 03:24 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD