How can I get a DVD movie on disk transferred to my PB? I have DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink software but not sure I can use those programs to get movie onto the PB.
    02-04-12 07:35 AM
    Here's what I do:

Use dvddecryptor to remove macrovision protection and put the movie on my harddrive, Then use a program called freemake to put the now dvd format movie into a format the PB can recognize. Then using the USB cable move the movie over to the PB.

Whats nice about freemake is it has a preset for the PB, no guessing like in other well known programs(handbrake or others). Freemake is also a free program and just has to be downloaded and installed on your pc. Some people are having trouble finding the PB presets, just click on the bottom "To BlackBerry" and on the image that pops up, click on it. Your then presented with a bunch of BB devices, at the very bottom of that list is the PB.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by homer1475; 02-04-12 at 07:47 AM.
    02-04-12 07:41 AM
    Handbrake is supposed to do a good job. Search the forums for several posts on optimal settings, then grab a copy (it's open source) from fileforum.com, etc.

RCK
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-04-12 07:42 AM
    Handbrake is supposed to do a good job. Search the forums for several posts on optimal settings, then grab a copy (it's open source) from fileforum.com, etc.

RCK
    Freemake is also twice as fast at converting then Handbrake. Old Vs. New. Handbrake has been around for years, and although a great product(used to use it myself for many years), it is old and archaic.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-04-12 07:49 AM
    Here's what I do:

Use dvddecryptor to remove macrovision protection and put the movie on my harddrive, Then use a program called freemake to put the now dvd format movie into a format the PB can recognize. Then using the USB cable move the movie over to the PB.

Whats nice about freemake is it has a preset for the PB, no guessing like in other well known programs(handbrake or others). Freemake is also a free program and just has to be downloaded and installed on your pc. Some people are having trouble finding the PB presets, just click on the bottom "To BlackBerry" and on the image that pops up, click on it. Your then presented with a bunch of BB devices, at the very bottom of that list is the PB.

Enjoy.
    Thanks Homer1475! For some reason I thought it would be more difficult than this. I downloaded Freemake and I'm already decrypting a movie. This is very exciting!
    02-04-12 08:13 AM
    The process no matter what program you use does take a while. On my PC a typical dvd movie takes roughly 2 hours to decrypt and convert. Converting is the longest process.
    02-04-12 08:15 AM
    I recommend using the Playbook preset for the resolution and audio settings, but change the bit-rate settings as DVDs will come out in sizes of 4GBs or larger if you use the default.
    However if you have no problem with movies taking up that much space, then go right ahead; the quality is nice.
    02-04-12 09:35 AM
    I also use Freemake Video....does a good job. My DVD's are converted to MP4 format and are usually 2 Gb's in size. I then transfer them to my 500Gb Seagate GoFlex Satellite hard drive and watch them thru my PlayBook.
    teeuwen likes this.
    02-04-12 12:08 PM
    I also use Freemake Video....does a good job. My DVD's are converted to MP4 format and are usually 2 Gb's in size. I then transfer them to my 500Gb Seagate GoFlex Satellite hard drive and watch them thru my PlayBook.
    Thanks for the info on freemake video,

its very nice and easy i just found out, you just put your dvd in the drive and then select convert to blackberry, and then select playbook format! very nice
    02-04-12 12:42 PM
    I just downloaded Freemake (thanks to this thread) and converted There Will Be Blood but the video seems a little jerky now and then. Is there anyway to adjust the settings? I chose the Playbook default settings in Freemake. The audio sounds awesome (but then all audio sounds great on the Playbook).
    02-04-12 12:57 PM
    Can any of you guys answer a question for me about this dvd conversion process? Does this process allow you to keep the subtitles that come with the dvd?
    02-04-12 01:32 PM
    I like format factory. Very versatile, can be used to copy to many different quality settings, screen sizes as well as format types (.mp4 is only one)
    02-04-12 03:26 PM
    Can any of you guys answer a question for me about this dvd conversion process? Does this process allow you to keep the subtitles that come with the dvd?
    Ive never had any video that had subtitles work on the PB(the subs that is), Unless they were hard coded into the movie. So I guess the answer is no?
    02-04-12 04:38 PM
    If you can find the subtitles as SRT files, then MovieSRTPlayer will add the subtitles to the movies. You can adjust font, size, color and location. 3rd party app.
    02-04-12 07:09 PM
    i tried converting a DVD using presets in Freemake for my 16g PB. when i select the video to play on the PB, all I get is black screen, nothing else. Handbrake versions resulted in choppy/pixelated playback. it's frustrating how it will work for one person with no problems and the next person has nothing but.....
    01-15-13 01:17 PM
    If you have Kalemsoft Media Player on your PB, there is no need to convert DVDs. The app will play VOB files (though you may have to strip DRM first).
    01-15-13 01:45 PM
    If you have Kalemsoft Media Player on your PB, there is no need to convert DVDs. The app will play VOB files (though you may have to strip DRM first).
    It also supports subtitles, which have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

(Freemake Video Converter also has options for subtitles).
    01-15-13 01:48 PM
    Another option, after you decrypt, is DVD Catalyst. It does a great job. The input can be DVD, Bluray, for video file.
    01-15-13 02:36 PM
    i tried converting a DVD using presets in Freemake for my 16g PB. when i select the video to play on the PB, all I get is black screen, nothing else. Handbrake versions resulted in choppy/pixelated playback. it's frustrating how it will work for one person with no problems and the next person has nothing but.....
    In Freemake, make sure you picked up the correct file from your DVD (and you only need the main file - it will have the titles), and not just one of the titles files. Also, I've found converting in the MP4 format directly on to your PC's hard drive, and then copying that to your PB's Video file is safer (less interference) than a direct conversion to your PB.
    01-15-13 04:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD