Hi
    I connected my PB to my laptop and noticed that there seems to be a duplication of folders. My root has books, camera, downloads, music etc, as well as a folder "misc" with a subfolder "android". The X:\music\Media Sync folder has all my music, the photos folder has all my photos etc. So far so good. However, the subfolder Android under Misc, also has movies, pictures, music etc. This X:\misc\android\music\Media Sync folder ALSO has all my music, and it looks like most of the root content is also duplicated under X:\misc\android\.
    when I select the properties of "X:", I get 29.7GB used, 28.4GB free. When I select the properties of X:\misc\android, it shows 33.4GB used. (??), X:\misc\android\music\Media Sync\, as well as for X:\music\media Sync, the size is 15.3GB, so I am guessing that one of the 2 folders is either a virtual folder (i.e. pointing to the other one) or a plain duplicate :-(
    Can someone tell me what the real story is for this? Why is there duplication? If I want to do a manual backup (i.e. not using BB Desktop), what is process - what folders should I select?

Thanks!

Thomas

:
    10-12-12 05:30 AM
    The duplication is apparent, it is the way the OS handles Android, which needs a specifically named folders hierarchy.
    BB OS does this just through unix symlinks, ie pointers that give Android the impression that it accesses things in Android/documents etc.
    But there is indeed only one location for the storage. You can safely access, and backup, just the root hierarchy.
    (if you write something into /misc/android/folderX you are in fact writing to /folderX -check it)
    tomdietom likes this.
    10-12-12 05:47 AM
    That's great, thanks for the quick reply!
    10-12-12 06:48 AM
    And what about duplicate folders such as /sdcard/download and /sdcard/Download with the same content. What's that about?
    10-12-12 09:45 AM
    Resist the urge to change/delete/rename any of the duplicate folders or files. They are the mystery of how the pb deals with files so that Androids apps can find and use them. And, yes, it appears that there are dupes of dupes.
    KermEd likes this.
    10-12-12 01:18 PM
    Just to clarify, after reading F2's comment: they may be "dupes" (or "dups", as I'd write it) in the directory listings, but they are NOT actual duplicate files or folders. As the first responder wrote, the duplication is apparent, but not actual. No additional storage space is being consumed as a result of these being present, and it's not something you should try to fix, other than ensuring that any manual backups over the network share don't waste time and space copying all the clones.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-12-12 02:51 PM